Mozzer & Dagenham Dave

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Mozzer & Dagenham Dave

Post by evonx »

Couldnt find it while searching the forum - suppose this had been raised before - anyway, anyone here know why Mozzer named a song after the infamous early strangler fan Dagenham Dave also immortalized in the superb song carrying his name? Or does Morrisey know another bloke thats been called Dagenham Dave?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Mozzer & Dagenham Dave

Post by dead ringer »

This should answer your question! Seems a bit of a coincidence though even if they are unrelated!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagenham_Dave_(song)
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

The saying "Dagenham Dave" (I think) is a naval term for a 'nutter'. Apparently, something to do with Barking rail station being one stop short of Dagenham. I know however, Hugh named him because he once worked at the Ford manufacturing plant in Dagenham. 8)
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

NME gave a negative review, saying that this single showed that "Morrissey has become the embarrassing incontinent grandfather of Britpop". The song was described as "piss-poor old crap" and a "tune-impaired three-minute drone".
F*ck me, at last the NME and me agree on something. That's my kind of review. :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
ceebs
Rats Rally

Post by ceebs »

I liked the review Melody Maker gave a Don Johnson (yup, him off of Miami Vice) single called "Tell It Like It Is". Short and to the point, the review said "OK Don, your records shit".
No dreams go in, no dreams go out, of the hole in his wrinkled head.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I think the Mozzer ones a bit of an overlooked classic meself.
Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted seem to get a rough time; I quite like the former but I'd say the latter was Morrissey's "Written In Red", pretty boring with a couple of corkers.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

ceebs wrote:I liked the review Melody Maker gave a Don Johnson (yup, him off of Miami Vice) single called "Tell It Like It Is". Short and to the point, the review said "OK Don, your records shit".
One of my favourites was the NME's review of George Michael's Listen Without Prejudice - throughout the review they insisted on calling the album Listen Without Speakers. :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com