Why didn't 10cc ever make it big?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

LAFOLIE
Ugly
Ugly

Why didn't 10cc ever make it big?

Post by LAFOLIE »

Over the past few months I have re-visited 10cc through my old vinyl collection and I have not been disappointed. In fact, I have been quite suprised how well their music has aged. Its been quite an experience. So which leaves me with the thought, why didn't they ever make it big. Obviously four very talented guys who could all play a variety of instruments and could all take up the postion of lead vocals if required. Mixed together with great song writing ability, they were a great band. If Kevin and Lol decided to stay, would the story of been different? Listening to their album 'Sheet Music' its way ahead of the time. I did hear through the grape vine that the orginal four members were in talks about going back on the road again this year. I'm sure it would be interesting!
I am the knot that slips from the loop

I am the earth that conquers the root
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Why didn't 10cc ever make it big?

Post by theraven1979 »

Some of it's alright - I tried to get into them a few years back but the majority of their stuff seems very theatrical and a tad camp at times.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I thought they were pretty big in their time? I'm sure they played Guilfest last year too?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14964&hilit=10cc

Maybe you shoulda asked the question when you had the chance?

Jim
LAFOLIE
Ugly
Ugly

Post by LAFOLIE »

Yes you are right Jim, I should of, but it didn't enter my head. God, you have a good memory!
I am the knot that slips from the loop

I am the earth that conquers the root
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Was only last year - I remembered you mentioning it.

Jim
LAFOLIE wrote:Yes you are right Jim, I should of, but it didn't enter my head. God, you have a good memory!
Stevie.T-'up north'
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Stevie.T-'up north' »

Because they're shite :lol:
Sweat and shite and blood!
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Stevie.T-'up north' wrote:Because they're shite :lol:

...was waiting for that!!! :grin: :grin:

Actually I do remember really liking one of their songs as a bit of a guilty pleasure, My sister had the album with The Things We Do For Love On It and I really liked the oepning song which was a rambling Bohemain Rhapsody-esque thing called One Night In Paris which was very jolly.

I used to wait until she had gone out (I was about 12 I think) and then nip in and play the few other good records she had - T Trex, Slade and, ahem, Gary Glitter as I recall. And as I played them on her record player (remember those ones where you could put six singles on and they dropped down once one had played??) I would read her Jackie probelem pages which seemed terribly racy to me back then.

Sad admission - but happy days.
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
Gene Regulation
Rats Rally

Post by Gene Regulation »

saminblack wrote:
Stevie.T-'up north' wrote:Because they're shite :lol:

...was waiting for that!!! :grin: :grin:

Actually I do remember really liking one of their songs as a bit of a guilty pleasure, My sister had the album with The Things We Do For Love On It and I really liked the oepning song which was a rambling Bohemain Rhapsody-esque thing called One Night In Paris which was very jolly.

I used to wait until she had gone out (I was about 12 I think) and then nip in and play the few other good records she had - T Trex, Slade and, ahem, Gary Glitter as I recall. And as I played them on her record player (remember those ones where you could put six singles on and they dropped down once one had played??) I would read her Jackie probelem pages which seemed terribly racy to me back then.

Sad admission - but happy days.

Don't you mean Racey?
TAFKA TrampinBlack
cab568
SHAKESPEARO

Post by cab568 »

I liked some of the early stuff but none of their pop stuff as it was, well pop. I remember "Speed Kills" banging through my head on the bike travelling through Belgium. Original Soundtrack probably my favourite but some good stuff on How Dare You too, it's all subjective though ain't it? I don't think they made it big because they weren't. There again I don't think the Stranglers made it big either..........head down, cue incoming.