Killing Joke on getting The Stranglers back together

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Killing Joke on getting The Stranglers back together

Post by dan-electro »

Bobinblack wrote:It's a pity, to me anyway, that someone didn't have such harsh advice for the band as Jaz before they split. The signs were there weren't they? They needed a temporary break, not a permanent split - is my opinion.

Tell you what, I'd just be happy to see Mark 1 reunited just for an Awards ceremony or something, and being civil and friendly to each other. I actually think there is the least chance of them working together again, and WRITING together again is never going to happen, they're too radically different now.
I agree, I think Hugh just wanted a couple of years away to recharge the batteries. If he had put it to the band in that way, rather than (apparently) deciding impulsivley to leave, they may not have brought in Paul Roberts & John Ellis. Perhaps, around 1993/94 Hugh might have been ready to have another go, but due to the comments and feelings made by everyone involved the possiblity seemed to be gone. I think deep down Hugh later regreted that impulsive decision and the various phone calls he made in August 1990 as he essentially 'burn't his bridges' with the band. I think he thought there was an 'unwritten' agreement with the band that if anyone left that was it, no more stranglers!! (hence his comment, How can I re-join a band that are still together). I always thought that if Hugh was going to be back it would have had to have happened in the mid too late 90's. I think during that period he brought out some good solo material like "Guilty" and "Hi fi" whereas The Stranglers (in my opinion) were on their knees (Written In Red & Coup De Grace :smt009 ). Which was in contrast to the early 90's when the Stranglers were reborn & Hugh was struggling. During the 2000's, I think both parties have been equally happy with some excellent material (so not even thinking of a re-union). Hugh would look really foolish now anyway if he did, considering the comments he's made over and over again about not re-joining. However, a compromise, it would be great and mature if all parties could come together and maybe do a one off gig in the U.K. and have Hugh doing one half of the show and Baz do the other half!! That would be a nice touch (and try getting tickets for that!!). I mean if Pink Floyd can bury the hatchet for one night, anyone can do it!! 8)
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

gizzard wrote:
Rodney Blackstaff wrote:
adam_neil wrote:
You mean to say you're not the proud owner of a BLACK BURNEL GREENFIELD WARNE t shirt then? :P

Adam

So whats wrong with wearing one of them???

Rodders
Yeah, what's wrong them Adam.

Do we tell you what to wear :?:

:roll:

No but you really should though. Adam likes all the gay fashion desingers :lol:

Plus he misses gigs to go a wedding. Yes thats right a WEDDING.

Barry spooner buxton 2008 before the band come on

"So were the fuck is Adam neil then?"

Pigeon

"His gone to see Nazareth"

Barry Spooner

"NAZARETH?"

Me
"Yep"

Barry spooner

"NAZARETH???" eveyone in the asiles is looking at us now spooner continues his rant "NAZARETH??? FOOKING NAZARETH? FUCK ME THERE OLDER THAN THE STRANGLERS!. IS THAT HIM ON THE PHONE GRABS PHONE OF ME NAZERETH??"
Notabadbandatall

Post by Notabadbandatall »

Pink Floyd have not buried the hatchet for a one off gig, they are going to be doing lots more one off gigs now, but for charities instead :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Damian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Damian »

This thread reminds me of something Baz said in the Oxygene Radio interview, something along the lines of like.

"Some people who post on that Forum really need to get out sometime"

When I read the way some posts end up going I think he may have a point. :| :| :|

Still funny though :lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Tell that to Killing Joke

Jim
Damian wrote:This thread reminds me of something Baz said in the Oxygene Radio interview, something along the lines of like.

"Some people who post on that Forum really need to get out sometime"

When I read the way some posts end up going I think he may have a point. :| :| :|

Still funny though :lol:
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

The interview was great, and thet right they should get back togeather.
We all know this.
The only problem is Hugh,Dave, Jet And JJ,
Like all great bands its ego. Its just not going to happen.
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

I've worked with some good blokes in the past, some I got on really well with and spent years with, but I don't think I really want to get back together with anybody I last worked with in 1990. I might bump into them in B&Q or somewhere and have a quick chat but by and large we have all moved on so whats the point.

People seem to think because someone is in a band they are like blood brothers or family, but in fact its a job just like being a bricklayer or a welder, and they all have different interests and personalities and are simply brought together by circumstance in the same way we all are when we go to work.
The members of The Stranglers have said many times that they are totally different personalities, 4 poles if you like, that came together by strange coincidence to create something.

I can understand fully why they have no interest in reuniting but I struggle to understand why people keep banging on about it after 2 decades.
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

ravenlunatic wrote:I've worked with some good blokes in the past, some I got on really well with and spent years with, but I don't think I really want to get back together with anybody I last worked with in 1990. I might bump into them in B&Q or somewhere and have a quick chat but by and large we have all moved on so whats the point.

People seem to think because someone is in a band they are like blood brothers or family, but in fact its a job just like being a bricklayer or a welder, and they all have different interests and personalities and are simply brought together by circumstance in the same way we all are when we go to work.
The members of The Stranglers have said many times that they are totally different personalities, 4 poles if you like, that came together by strange coincidence to create something.

I can understand fully why they have no interest in reuniting but I struggle to understand why people keep banging on about it after 2 decades.

The voice of reason......
Claireinblack
kent
paulwilko
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by paulwilko »

Spot on, live in the present
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Killing Joke made famous by the kings of metal covering there only song better than they done it themselves.
Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rodney Blackstaff »

pigeon wrote:Killing Joke made famous by the kings of metal covering there only song better than they done it themselves.

Pidge!!!

It's a good job I fucking like you :smile:

Rodders :smt006
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
Notabadbandatall

Post by Notabadbandatall »

pigeon wrote:Killing Joke made famous by the kings of metal covering there only song better than they done it themselves.
Hmmm...... I don't think so and I'm not even a Killing Joke fan :shock: :shock: :shock: