Fish

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Fish

Post by Paul »

not the type that swims, but the ex singer from marillion.
I saw him play live on wednesday night in my local pub (royal hotel, Great Harwood), I wouldn't have gone to see him otherwise, but it's not often that you get suchlike in so small a venue.
It was the smallest venue on his tour and a real coup for the landlady to get him to play there, they sold out the 120 tickets, which was as many as it could hold.
so, the gig.......
fish walked through the crowd in the pub to get to the stage, a big guy, six foot plenty. He proceded to sing many a song from his solo career, split with some stories from his illustrious past, a larger than life character in every sense.
whilst is solo stuff is an aquired taste (not really mine), it is a different thing live.
He sings every song like it means the absolute world to him, with real passion and gusto and is a magnetic presence on stage. It's hot in here and many a real ale is being quashed down.
After carting on for over 2 hours without a rest, we eventually come to the only songs I'd heard, Kayleigh and Lavender.
The crowd sang along, but then again, most of them had all night anyway. Probably 3/4 of the crowd were not locals but had travelled from far and wide to get here.
Fish fanatics...... :?: :smt013 :roll:
It takes all sorts, but then again, marillion were huge once of a day and their diehard fans are clinging to it, most of their offspring are called Kayleigh!
Comparisons with the stranglers, not really. Apart from that Fish is doing his own thing the same as Hugh. Marillion have had another lead for years and will probably never reform with the original lineup. If they did, they'd probably get a tour out of it. Couldn't see them doing Glastonbury though.
Still, fairplay to Fish, he's still good live and is pleasing his fans.
....near the nearside window.....
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Fish

Post by dead ringer »

Was Windsor playing drums for him, that's what he was doing after leaving Hugh's band?
Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Paul »

no, it was labelled as an 'acoustic club tour' which meant there was fish, a microphone, a keyboard player and and guitarist, no drums. but £17.50 for a ticket

pity really. I saw a local rock band at the same venue on Saturday and they had some electronic drums which don't take much space up and make a lot of noise.

oh well, never mind.

:smt006
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I thought he'd been told he had to give up singing or lose his voice. As i think more, there's an outside chance I'm confusing it with an old Marillion lyric, but I'm sure he cancelled a tour fairly recently and that was the reason. Perhaps that's why he only does the relatively gentle stuff now.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Paul »

I heard he's had a throat problem and had an operation, but he has recovered. he started his set just singing into the mike with no accompaniment, it was a bit brave because his voice isn't 100% yet, but he pulled it off.

was talking last night about the gig, he really is a presence on stage, a magnetic performer.
of course so are the stranglers and more so, but it gets you thinking if you put most modern 'artists' on a stage with their own instruments, no make up on and no special effects, they'd be pretty well fucked..
:P