John McGeogh

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

John McGeogh

Post by Bear Cage »

Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Bubba
Rats Rally

Re: John McGeogh

Post by Bubba »

Brilliant - I missed this at the time and was gutted, too.

My favourite guitarist of all time. :thumb:
Black, Burnel, Cornwell, Greenfield
Sancho Panza
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sancho Panza »

Thanks for the above links

Great guitarist and good bloke.

My best experience with him was while he was with The Armoury Show, they played in a tiny club called The Gallery in Manchester around '85. there was no real stage to speak of and my mates and I are stood directly in front of him with only a monitor between us. We were quite into the band and although the album hadn't yet come out we seen them a few times and got the bootlegs so we were singing away with the songs. John Mc obviously clocks this as were virtually nose to nose with him and had a pretty good laugh with us thoughout,he was chatting between numbers and challenged us to get the words right and scored us accordingly after the songs. He turned the mike round towards us during "Castles in Spain" and left it there for us to sing the chorus, Jobbo was taking the piss out of us too, blaming us for John Mc messing his lyrics up.

I miss that band, they were great.
Don Baterista
TWO SUNSPOTS

Post by TWO SUNSPOTS »

Sancho Panza wrote:Thanks for the above links

My best experience with him was while he was with The Armoury Show, they played in a tiny club called The Gallery in Manchester around '85. there was no real stage to speak of and my mates and I are stood directly in front of him with only a monitor between us. We were quite into the band and although the album hadn't yet come out we seen them a few times and got the bootlegs so we were singing away with the songs. John Mc obviously clocks this as were virtually nose to nose with him and had a pretty good laugh with us thoughout,he was chatting between numbers and challenged us to get the words right and scored us accordingly after the songs. He turned the mike round towards us during "Castles in Spain" and left it there for us to sing the chorus, Jobbo was taking the piss out of us too, blaming us for John Mc messing his lyrics up.

Good to know that somebody else also appreciated this superb band. I was lucky enough to see them a lot of times.
It always mystified me how they never became big. I have a couple of superb bootlegs which i enjoying listening / watching quite regularly.
Freedom, there ain't no f**king freedom!!!!
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

That club was a top venue.I saw a Flux of pink of indians,The English dogs and a few more in the 80,s is that place still there does anyone know?
fourth horseman

Post by fourth horseman »

fantastic guitarist, very underrated and uncredited. Every band he was in was at their best when he was in them. Brilliant arpeggios and great use of a flange pedal!
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
Sancho Panza

Post by Sancho Panza »

MrBlack77 wrote:

That club was a top venue.I saw a Flux of pink of indians,The English dogs and a few more in the 80,s is that place still there does anyone know?
Not there any more I'm afraid, drve past there a couple of weeks ago.
I saw afew bands there, one of which was REM in there in '84 (before world stardom loomed).

I played there myself as well in a band I used to be in called "Code of Arms". Great little place.
Don Baterista
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

Sancho Panza wrote:
MrBlack77 wrote:

Not there any more I'm afraid, drve past there a couple of weeks ago.
I saw afew bands there, one of which was REM in there in '84 (before world stardom loomed).Shame that,Manchester had some great venues in the 80,s The Mayflower,Jillys,Cloud 9,Drifters etc...Great days.

I played there myself as well in a band I used to be in called "Code of Arms". Great little place.