magazine

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: magazine

Post by theraven1979 »

I read this briefly in WHSmiths :lol: I think one of the tracks is called "Mr Curtis" they talked about a possible release this year - Didn't see the bit about Adamson - why's he not playing ball?

Jim

fourth horseman wrote:Latest Mojo magazine has an interview with Howard Devoto. Not read it yet but I've learnt there's a new album due out/being recorded this year or sometime similar.

BUT! Barry Adamson won't be on the album :cry: :? :shock:

Has anyone got this issue and care to shed any more light on the interview?
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Barracuda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Barracuda »

re Barry Adamson said he is directing his first film which has taken a long time eventually felt he had to leave magazine ...he is being replaced by bassist who has worked with Groove Amarda called Stan white .Recording to begin this summer ...themes inc decline and mortality
Fatbusjim
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Fatbusjim »

Barracuda wrote:re Barry Adamson said he is directing his first film which has taken a long time eventually felt he had to leave magazine ...he is being replaced by bassist who has worked with Groove Amarda called Stan white .Recording to begin this summer ...themes inc decline and mortality
Adamson's are big shoes to fill and good luck to the guy. Must say though, and no disrespect to JJ, I have never seen a cooler Bass player than Barry Adamson.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Man that's VERY disappointing.

Jim
Barracuda wrote:re Barry Adamson said he is directing his first film which has taken a long time eventually felt he had to leave magazine ...he is being replaced by bassist who has worked with Groove Amarda called Stan white .Recording to begin this summer ...themes inc decline and mortality
fourth horseman

Post by fourth horseman »

theraven1979 wrote:Man that's VERY disappointing.

Jim
Agreed.

Also, if they have this chap from groove armada (who is a nifty bassist in his own right looking at youtube, no Adamson though) then what does that mean if they tour the album? Does Groove Armada guy play live or BA?

I don't think it'll be the same without Adamson... then again the same could be said with doing an album without McGeoch! Magic, Murder and the Weather is a fine album but it lacks the cutting edge of the other 3 provided by the Guitar (and sax) McGeoch provided. Nice to hear they're back in the studio and it's very admirable but I think this could be a bad move :cry:

I hope I'm wrong!
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah - it's depressing but I think something had to give - I guess it's better to do this than nothing at all. On a positive note you've got Devoto who could be eccentric and as interesting as hell and then you have Formula with the melodics and Doyle solid on the drums - Still makes for a great band. I hope they come up with something special.

The album needs to be up there with their "MKI" stuff otherwise it'll be a waste. A big ask methinks. But then again I never thought they were gonna be so good live.

Jim

fourth horseman wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Man that's VERY disappointing.

Jim
Agreed.

Also, if they have this chap from groove armada (who is a nifty bassist in his own right looking at youtube, no Adamson though) then what does that mean if they tour the album? Does Groove Armada guy play live or BA?

I don't think it'll be the same without Adamson... then again the same could be said with doing an album without McGeoch! Magic, Murder and the Weather is a fine album but it lacks the cutting edge of the other 3 provided by the Guitar (and sax) McGeoch provided. Nice to hear they're back in the studio and it's very admirable but I think this could be a bad move :cry:

I hope I'm wrong!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"due september/october this year according to an article in Mojo. no title yet, but songs for the album include "hello mr curtis"," physics" and "holy dotage"

according to devoto they are at "the writing and demoing stage" devoto,formula,doyle and noko came up with 6 songs at noko's studio where "formula's original arp odyssey keyboard, now restored, was on hand to lend original-recipe magazine synth textures"

now the bad news, and you knew there had to be some!!

barry adamson wasnt part of the process above and has left the band. according to devoto "barry was directing his first film...., delays understandable..., but eventually barry,sadly, felt he had to leave the band".

Groove Armada bassist stan white has stepped in at the recommendation of formula.

"so far 2/3rds of an album has been prepared, recording due this summer"

questioned on what it sounds like devoto winces slightly and says "maybe like correct use of soap.... there's a lightness of touch thats not dissimilar""

Jim
fourth horseman

Post by fourth horseman »

theraven1979 wrote:"due september/october this year according to an article in Mojo. no title yet, but songs for the album include "hello mr curtis"," physics" and "holy dotage"

according to devoto they are at "the writing and demoing stage" devoto,formula,doyle and noko came up with 6 songs at noko's studio where "formula's original arp odyssey keyboard, now restored, was on hand to lend original-recipe magazine synth textures"

now the bad news, and you knew there had to be some!!

barry adamson wasnt part of the process above and has left the band. according to devoto "barry was directing his first film...., delays understandable..., but eventually barry,sadly, felt he had to leave the band".

Groove Armada bassist stan white has stepped in at the recommendation of formula.

"so far 2/3rds of an album has been prepared, recording due this summer"

questioned on what it sounds like devoto winces slightly and says "maybe like correct use of soap.... there's a lightness of touch thats not dissimilar""

Jim
We'll just have to see how this pans out later in the year. I'm keeping my eyes on the Wire Sounds website and Magazine facebook page to see hoe this develops. One thing for sure is it's sad to see Barry has left the band! :|
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Funny how everyone lives in sodding Louth these days. I often see Robert Wyatt in the town square when I'm over there.

Jim
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Magazine are playing a warm-up gig (for the hop festival) at the Slade Rooms, Wolverhampton on the 30th June.
Beware anyone who fancies it as the set will only be 45 mins long. It doesn't say that on the venue's website but does on an email I had.
I think I might take a look as it's a pretty intimate venue and not too far from me.
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

It'll be shite without Adamson. Much like a certain other band that continued without one of its founder members.
Black, Burnel, Cornwell, Greenfield