Magazine Warm Up Gig Sheffield Plug 15th July 2009

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Roy Batty
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Magazine Warm Up Gig Sheffield Plug 15th July 2009

Post by Roy Batty »

jason wrote:I must confess I don't know much about magazine. What's a good album to start with?
one of the first 3, real life is always a good start
URGH URGH URGH URGH!!!!
Born As A Stranger
Down In The Sewer

Post by Born As A Stranger »

Me and my mate got to Sheffield about 7.15 and parked up in that big ugly brown car park directly behind the venue and then set about looking for the Red Lion, couldnt find it so ended up in some rough dive called the Sportsman but the jukebox made up for it, plenty of punk / metal to choose from, had a few pints and headed down to the Plug about 8.30, when we got in the venue i couldnt believe how much it had changed since we last saw Glasvegas less than 12 months ago, it was about 3 times the size, it might explain why we couldnt understand the gig not selling out straight away.
Saw some of the support band cant remember what they were called, i thought they were a bit dreary and its the first time i've ever seen a drummer sat at his drums playing a guitar :shock: , we hit the bar for a few more beers and then on the stroke of 9pm the intro music for Magazine kicked in and the band appeared onstage and proceeded to play the classic The Light Pours Out Of Me, i had seen them in Manchester previously in Feb and i assumed that the setlist was going to be the same but no we had a few surprises such as Philadelphia and I Want You To Burn Again obviously in readiness for next months Soap show, there was also the crowd favourites such as Real Life, Rhythm Of Cruelty, Shot By Both Sides and more. The band were on top form and the sound was great and they seemed more relaxed than in the earlier Manchester gig maybe there was less pressure / expectation with it not being a hometown gig. All too soon though the band were gone but came back for an encore to rapturous applause and then they finally ended with the usual I Love You You Big Dummy, i could contain myself no longer and had a pogo down the front, i can just about manage to dance for one song these days at my age and weight :smile:
Looking forward to the Soap show, i just wish it wasnt at the Bridgewater Hall, it doesnt seem right watching a band like Magazine in a seated venue maybe it would have been better at the Apollo then those of us who like to stand can and those who like to sit can go upstairs.
I managed to film a few songs, enjoy

The Light Pours Out Of Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf0oChz1l1o

Parade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D03w7Rhxe8A

I Want You To Burn Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hq5ZrAxPGk

Shot By Both Sides
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azdBR30zXPc
--------------------------------------------------
I've taken some knockbacks
I've taken some hits
I've been invincible baby
And i've been in bits
But i've still got the FEVER!
R.I.McNabb
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Great gig last night.

Finished work early picked up Lammy and shot down the M1. We found the Travelodge really easy (which could not be said later that evening!) threw the suitcase in and walked into the blazing sunshine of Sheffield - very nice day. However, we suddenly realised that the location of the Travelodge appeared to be in the middle of some kinda Wire set (the programme not the band) - I was expecting the poe-leese to turn up at any minute.

We kinda wandered round Sheffield looking for the venue and some food - we eventually found both whilst taking in a Deuchars (and believe me I was fucking due one) in the Red Lion (realising I'd been in the Red Lion before whilst on a course last year over the road) we would return back later.

Met those on the forums who said would be there. We kinda took over the beer garden in the end - quite a nice little turn out

Several pints later....

.....the gig! Got there just in time to grab a beer then take up a reasonable spot in the crowd (even Lammy could see the stage!) Quite a good crowd - very appreciative and no bell ends. Devoto and co appeared at 9pm on the dot and shot through a setlist that was very similar to the Manchester gig earlier this year apart from no "Honeymoon Killers" (bit of a shame but no bird in tow tonight - they need to get a proper female backing singer IMO) and we had the addition of some Correct Use Of Soap stuff (if I was going to be in any way critical about this I'd have to say that these songs weren't as tight as the rest of the set). My god it was good they were so together and on form. Pure joy to watch and experience - I will gladly part with my hard-earned for gigs like this.

Good to meet up with everyone off here - really great to have pre (and post) match drinks - great company.

Spooner in your rush to catch your taxi ride home you left your "Bargain Booze" lighter. I can only imagine that losing such a quality product Spooner has turned his house upside down trying to find it today. I will look after it very carefully for you.

Oh yeah, Spooner may I be the first one to wish you Happy Birthday tomorrow you old tart.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Good work mate - That footage ain't too rough either.

Jim
Born As A Stranger wrote:Me and my mate got to Sheffield about 7.15 and parked up in that big ugly brown car park directly behind the venue and then set about looking for the Red Lion, couldnt find it so ended up in some rough dive called the Sportsman but the jukebox made up for it, plenty of punk / metal to choose from, had a few pints and headed down to the Plug about 8.30, when we got in the venue i couldnt believe how much it had changed since we last saw Glasvegas less than 12 months ago, it was about 3 times the size, it might explain why we couldnt understand the gig not selling out straight away.
Saw some of the support band cant remember what they were called, i thought they were a bit dreary and its the first time i've ever seen a drummer sat at his drums playing a guitar :shock: , we hit the bar for a few more beers and then on the stroke of 9pm the intro music for Magazine kicked in and the band appeared onstage and proceeded to play the classic The Light Pours Out Of Me, i had seen them in Manchester previously in Feb and i assumed that the setlist was going to be the same but no we had a few surprises such as Philadelphia and I Want You To Burn Again obviously in readiness for next months Soap show, there was also the crowd favourites such as Real Life, Rhythm Of Cruelty, Shot By Both Sides and more. The band were on top form and the sound was great and they seemed more relaxed than in the earlier Manchester gig maybe there was less pressure / expectation with it not being a hometown gig. All too soon though the band were gone but came back for an encore to rapturous applause and then they finally ended with the usual I Love You You Big Dummy, i could contain myself no longer and had a pogo down the front, i can just about manage to dance for one song these days at my age and weight :smile:
Looking forward to the Soap show, i just wish it wasnt at the Bridgewater Hall, it doesnt seem right watching a band like Magazine in a seated venue maybe it would have been better at the Apollo then those of us who like to stand can and those who like to sit can go upstairs.
I managed to film a few songs, enjoy

The Light Pours Out Of Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf0oChz1l1o

Parade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D03w7Rhxe8A

I Want You To Burn Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hq5ZrAxPGk

Shot By Both Sides
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azdBR30zXPc
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

theraven1979 wrote:

Spooner in your rush to catch your taxi ride home you left your "Bargain Booze" lighter. I can only imagine that losing such a quality product Spooner has turned his house upside down trying to find it today.

Jim
So that's where it went! :smile:

Anyway, it was indeed a first class gig & night which I'll post a bit more about later......
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

ThruBeingCool wrote:

Anyway, it was indeed a first class gig & night which I'll post a bit more about later......
Can't wait for that Baz! :smt004
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Roy Batty wrote:hope mr spooner enjoyed it again 8)
Yes I did Bry! I travelled with 5 other blokes from Notts who are all huge Magazine fans and our opinions only differed when debating whether or not the Saturday night @ Manchester show had been topped. I personally think it was equalled.

Anyway, we arrived in Sheffield about about an hour or so before we thought Magazine were due to play, parked up near the venue and headed for the nearest boozer. After a couple of pints we decided that we really must get going because we were lead to believe that this was an early show with Magazine performing at 8.00pm. Shame really because the pre-gig banter was just getting into full swing! When we arrived at the venue bang on 8.00pm we were all pleasantly surprised to find out that the support were only just about to start and that Magaine wouldn't be on for another hour! Time for more drinking then!

5 minutes later we were in another pub nearby when I received a text from Roy Batty asking if I was going to the Red Lion. I had to ask someone the name of the pub we were in as I hadn't clocked it's name - turns out it was the Red Lion though! A quick glance at the beer garden revealed a nice little forums/Stranglers gathering...including Bubba, Mrs Bubba, Fatbusjim,Phil Tuneless, Roy Batty and even the webmonkey himself sporting a Stranglers (related) t-shirt although I'm sure Radley would view it more as a Hugh related t-shirt! Whatever, it was Fatbusjim who once again got my 'Best T-Shirt Of The Night' vote for his "Oh No! It's Devo" number. Nice one Spud!

Great meeting you all in the pub, superb company and I seem to see more of you lot these days than most of my old mates back in Nottingham!

O.K. On to the gig. I think most of us were quite surprised by the size of the venue, didn't turn out to be the 280 capacity room that we were expecting. I would guess that this one would be holding 3 times that amount. Looked like a near sell out as well. The sound I have to say was excellent and it was easier to get a good view of the band from anywhere really.Overall a big thumbs up for 'THE PLUG' then.

Magazine were excellent once again. They are all great musicians, have a very charismatic frontman and have a back catalogue with plenty of classic tunes. I'm still pretty much a newcomer to the band and there are a few numbers that I hadn't heard though. In fact some of the stuff I find quite challenging to be honest but it's the likes of 'Definitive Gaze','Rhythm Of Cruelty', 'Shot By Both Sides' & 'Parade' that keep me happy, the latter song probably the highlight of Wednesdays set as far as I'm concerned. Still no 'My Tulpa' though....pah!

After the show we headed back to the Red Lion for a quick livener and the conversation/ post gig banter was now decidedly of a more pissed up nature. Jim was pissed I could tell because I managed to cadge a tab off him! Anyway it was eventually time to all say our fond farewells once again and head off into the night.

As we headed back to the car one of the lads I'd travelled with came out with the quote of the night regarding the gig.

"Anyone who says they didn't enjoy that, I'll fuckin' chin 'em!"

Summed it allup quite nicely I thought. :smile:
Born As A Stranger
Down In The Sewer

Did anyone else see that semi famous actor bloke on the phone outside the venue, i need to know who he is and did he go into the gig.

I cant remember specifically anything he has been in but he is usually cast in working class northern type tv shows / films, i know its very vague but does anyone have any ideas who he is, he is tall and thin and about 40ish with a bit of rough looking Sean Bean look, well that might be stretching it a bit
I've taken some hits
And i've been in bits
R.I.McNabb
Fatbusjim

Post by Fatbusjim »

Wow best T-shirt of the night award from TBC - I'm extremely humbled :shock:

Great write up though Baz, Magazine were superb yet again. They absolutely blew me away in Manchester earlier this year and managed to do it again on Wednesday. My only grumble is they played my favourite song - The Light Pours Out Of Me - first, I might be being selfish here but I would much prefer to hear this excellent piece of music later on in the set.

Was good to meet everyone in The Red Lion pre-gig and was a great pleasure to see Bubba enjoying the band so much.

Overall another excellent foray into deepest darkest Yarkshire :twisted: :twisted: (Always good to get back to Gods own county though :lol: :lol: :P )
Born As A Stranger
Down In The Sewer

After a bit of research i've answered my own question, it was Chris Walker

Now does anybody know if he's a fan and went to the gig?
I've taken some hits
And i've been in bits
R.I.McNabb
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one Spooner - I wasn't pissed mate I was just warming up - You were wrecked - Your Nottingham accent was more full on and you were beginning to scare me with some of the noises coming out of your mouth :lol: Plus you left your number 1 possession behind (the "Bargain Booze" lighter).

On a more serious note I'm in agreement about the Venue (from the outside it looked like some 80s bargain superstore or something). It wasn't too busy but there was a great atmosphere, they had a fair few bar staff that seemed to cope quite well, Whilst I was in the middle of the crowd there was ample air conditioning breezing through - very nice. Only negative point was the mix was a bit naff at times - Once Noko attacked the treble with a screaming guitar solo and Devoto was singing the whole mix was lost in complete high pitch feedback. That aside it was a top night indeed.

Jim
Roy Batty

Post by Roy Batty »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
Roy Batty wrote:hope mr spooner enjoyed it again 8)
Yes I did Bry! I travelled with 5 other blokes from Notts who are all huge Magazine fans and our opinions only differed when debating whether or not the Saturday night @ Manchester show had been topped. I personally think it was equalled.

Anyway, we arrived in Sheffield about about an hour or so before we thought Magazine were due to play, parked up near the venue and headed for the nearest boozer. After a couple of pints we decided that we really must get going because we were lead to believe that this was an early show with Magazine performing at 8.00pm. Shame really because the pre-gig banter was just getting into full swing! When we arrived at the venue bang on 8.00pm we were all pleasantly surprised to find out that the support were only just about to start and that Magaine wouldn't be on for another hour! Time for more drinking then!

5 minutes later we were in another pub nearby when I received a text from Roy Batty asking if I was going to the Red Lion. I had to ask someone the name of the pub we were in as I hadn't clocked it's name - turns out it was the Red Lion though! A quick glance at the beer garden revealed a nice little forums/Stranglers gathering...including Bubba, Mrs Bubba, Fatbusjim,Phil Tuneless, Roy Batty and even the webmonkey himself sporting a Stranglers (related) t-shirt although I'm sure Radley would view it more as a Hugh related t-shirt! Whatever, it was Fatbusjim who once again got my 'Best T-Shirt Of The Night' vote for his "Oh No! It's Devo" number. Nice one Spud!

Great meeting you all in the pub, superb company and I seem to see more of you lot these days than most of my old mates back in Nottingham!

O.K. On to the gig. I think most of us were quite surprised by the size of the venue, didn't turn out to be the 280 capacity room that we were expecting. I would guess that this one would be holding 3 times that amount. Looked like a near sell out as well. The sound I have to say was excellent and it was easier to get a good view of the band from anywhere really.Overall a big thumbs up for 'THE PLUG' then.

Magazine were excellent once again. They are all great musicians, have a very charismatic frontman and have a back catalogue with plenty of classic tunes. I'm still pretty much a newcomer to the band and there are a few numbers that I hadn't heard though. In fact some of the stuff I find quite challenging to be honest but it's the likes of 'Definitive Gaze','Rhythm Of Cruelty', 'Shot By Both Sides' & 'Parade' that keep me happy, the latter song probably the highlight of Wednesdays set as far as I'm concerned. Still no 'My Tulpa' though....pah!

After the show we headed back to the Red Lion for a quick livener and the conversation/ post gig banter was now decidedly of a more pissed up nature. Jim was pissed I could tell because I managed to cadge a tab off him! Anyway it was eventually time to all say our fond farewells once again and head off into the night.

As we headed back to the car one of the lads I'd travelled with came out with the quote of the night regarding the gig.

"Anyone who says they didn't enjoy that, I'll fuckin' chin 'em!"

Summed it allup quite nicely I thought. :smile:
quality write up baz, anyone see noko's wife??? what a fekkin HOT chick 8)

richard hawley was also present at the gig
URGH URGH URGH URGH!!!!