Moderator: StanInBlack

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Neil Young- Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Alias »

Now, here’s a controversial one-

Neil Young

Lambasted as a hippie figurehead, reviled as the Godfather of grunge, experimenter with tekno-rock and collaborator with Devo, name checker of Johnny Rotten and blasted by same John Lydon for using his holy name in vain, famously sued by own record label for releasing an album that “Didn’t sound like Neil Young”, what do you think of the man?

My first experience of him would have been discovering After The Goldrush in my sister’s record collection. Said collection was littered with Donny and David and the like, but I’d found an early Credence single in there one time, so I kept coming back for a peek in there just in case.

I loved Vic Reeve’s, I think it was, observation of the Goldrush cover;

He described a grumpy Neil Young, on the street, with an old lady in his rucksack. :lol:

At the time though the album was a bit hippy-drippy for me, and it wasn’t probably until I started hearing good covers (of what turned out to be, on further, later, investigation) brilliant songs, that I took real notice. I remember getting a bootleg video at a record fair, of The Doors Dance On Fire videos and after that was done the rest of the tape was Neil Young & Crazy Horse’s Rust Never Sleeps live show- the one with Star Wars Jawa roadies humping the gear on stage.
This was more like it.

He’s another of them classic singers, not in the conventional, XfuckenFactor, Mariah Carrey pitch bending warbling, but like Bowie. Or Dylan. Or Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen… Not pitch perfect, never note perfect, but with character and an honesty you can trust. And with something to say.

Over the years I got into and out of and into Neil Young over and over again.

(Could you put your predictable, lame, sexual jokes here, please:

)

Cheers.

I remember my ex boss telling me about the time he saw him carried on stage on the infamous Tonight’s The Night tour in Glasgow. The support band, according to my ex boss, blew him off stage that night, playing a full support set, then having to go back on stage to play another full set to a braying crowd after Neil was carried back off stage a couple of songs into his own set.
But what did my boss know? The support that night were the feckin Eagles!

And I love the story of the time Neil invited his manager over to his farm to hear a playback of the stuff he’d been working on. The manager was understadably a tad confused as he was bundled into a wee rowboat with Neil, and paddled out to the centre of his pond for the promised playback. Turns out Young had transformed a shed on the left of his house into a speaker, with the barn on the other side being the right hand speaker. A trusty roadie was positioned on the bank to correct sound balance. Young’s yelled response as the roadie called across the lake, asking what adjustments to the levels were needed, was, “MORE BARN!”

Love it! :lol:

Anyhoo, surprisingly enough, mibee, this post was prompted by watching a Robot Elvis dvd (Cheers Mark!) and being reminded of what a fan of Neil Young Baz is. Songs from the length of Young's career pepper Robot Elvis and Baz’s solo sets.
And I got to also thinking about the forthcoming Stranglers album, and Baz’s writing (along with JJ) taking centre stage for probably the first real time; how close to a Stranglers/Neil Young crossover album as we?
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Neil Young- Rust Never Sleeps

Post by theraven1979 »

Over the years I got into and out of and into Neil Young over and over again.

(Could you put your predictable, lame, sexual jokes here, please:

Any damage done?

)
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Alias wrote:
Cheers.

I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

IamCoop
Rats Rally

Post by IamCoop »

I love Neil Young. I've already spent far too much money on tickets for gigs and festivals this summer but i'm seriously considering buying a ticket to see him in Hyde Park. If it was a nice summer's evening I reckon it would be a beautiful show. But on top of numerous gigs, two festivals, and tickets for the Ashes, I reckon my bank manager would come round to my house and personally give me a beating if I splashed out again...
'Stranglers - Cops Set To Move'
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

IamCoop wrote:I love Neil Young. I've already spent far too much money on tickets for gigs and festivals this summer but i'm seriously considering buying a ticket to see him in Hyde Park. If it was a nice summer's evening I reckon it would be a beautiful show. But on top of numerous gigs, two festivals, and tickets for the Ashes, I reckon my bank manager would come round to my house and personally give me a beating if I splashed out again...

It's been years since I've seen him live,and always with Crazy Horse, but I regret not going last year when he played Edinburgh.
The tickets were fucken ex-tor-shun-ate, mind, but what I've heard from the dates sounded good.
There's a crackin version of From Hank to Hendrix from somewhere, where he goes crazy-fucken-ape-shit at some press guy
taking photies all through the song.

Sounds familiar. :shock:

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I have never explored this man's portfolio. Don't know why. I always worry it might be another "Springsteen Experience" where I walk away only liking one song.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Kathinboots
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Kathinboots »

I only like one of his songs, but then I've not had much Neil Young exposure, so to speak.
Boogie now, Dave!
jbinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jbinblack »

PaulinLondon wrote:I have never explored this man's portfolio. Don't know why. I always worry it might be another "Springsteen Experience" where I walk away only liking one song.
BLASPHEMY! Which one Springsteen song do you like Paul? :smt006
Trust in God, but lock your car
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

PaulinLondon wrote:I have never explored this man's portfolio.
:shock:

But what about the barn or the shed, like, LHL?
PaulinLondon wrote: I always worry it might be another "Springsteen Experience" where I walk away only liking one song.
:lol:
As many as that?
This can't be undone

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Springsteen's Numero Uno for me is, "I'm on Fire, like".

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

PaulinLondon wrote:Springsteen's Numero Uno for me is, "I'm on Fire, like".

As per usual, exact same with me mate 8) :lol:

Although I got subjected to Nebraska a couple of weeks ago and it's alright too.

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

PaulinLondon wrote:I have never explored this man's portfolio. Don't know why. I always worry it might be another "Springsteen Experience" where I walk away only liking one song.

Load up Spotify (You'll love it Paul), select NEIL YOUNG then WELD, hit play and enjoy 8)

http://www.spotify.com/en/