Specials on Jools

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Specials on Jools

Post by C r a s s ! »

Anyone catch the Speshals on Jools Holland tonite, like? Wicked - kicked off with Gangsters and then popped up with Message to You near ther end. They're all there - cept Jerry Dammers: Terry looked a little chubby as he has for the last 10 years but sounded fine; Brad was the same chisel-cheeked drummer but with grey hair; Horace bobbed about quietly and gracefully on bass at the back (as he always did) and Roddy, Lynval and Neville hadn't aged one year since 1979.

Fuck - they were good.

:smt003
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Specials on Jools

Post by APOLLO79 »

got 5 tickets 4 the o222222....ray ralphs called off as
its stands...............thinks its not worthy...............
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Just saw a bit of Message To You Rudy, most excefookingllent, hope to see it all on Friday.
8)
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

They were good. When you see a classic band like that, it shows up the other bands that were on for what they are... trendy, lacking substance, at best average to downright rubbish. I mean the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs were utter shite. How the fuck bands like that get asked to come back on the show is beyond me. Franz Ferdinand were pretty dismal also. Oh well... showing my age I suppose. :lol:
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I thought The Specials looked and sounded fab.

Very special.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Sky+ this one can't wait to wind down and watch this at le weekend

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

terry hall looked like he didnt want to be there, in fact he looked a bit scared.
Cnut ? I think you're mistaken, it's CUNT.
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

Yes, an excellent performance. For those who missed it, it's on BBC iPlayer.
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

They were fantastic....I was really impressed (especially with Gangsters). I really wish I had got tickets now for their tour, I waited a bit and by then it was too late. Do Nothing is my absolute fave of theirs.

I don't watch Jools Holland that often but whenever I do I think: 'I should watch this more' as there are always pleasant surprises and it is a good chance to hear new bands you wouldn't normally bother with.

Unlike doninblack, I actually quite liked The Yeah Yeah Yeahs having not heard them before (a kind of poppy Siouxsie sound I thought), Franz Ferdinand were pretty jolly and The Mummers were intriguing and reminded me of an odd combination of Arcade Fire (who I love) and Bjork (who I don't).

Great show...and The Specials were just brlliant. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

only one bad thing about later with jools holland...

it has jools holland on it
Cnut ? I think you're mistaken, it's CUNT.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Forgot it was on :evil: but watched it earlier on bbc i player 8) Gangsters was bloody ace!
Terry Hall is still a cheerful chap is'nt he :?: :grin:

I used to have their two albums on vinyl but feck knows what happened to them :roll: so I popped into Tescos on the way to work and bought the 'Best Of' CD/DVD which has just come out. 8)
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

gizzard wrote:Forgot it was on :evil: but watched it earlier on bbc i player 8) Gangsters was bloody ace!
Terry Hall is still a cheerful chap is'nt he :?: :grin:

I used to have their two albums on vinyl but feck knows what happened to them :roll: so I popped into Tescos on the way to work and bought the 'Best Of' CD/DVD which has just come out. 8)

Best others - Concrete Jungle, Man at C&A, and Roddy's Rat Race. Superlative - and recorded at TW too!

Having just found the time to pick up (and finish) bassist Horace Panter's book - Ska'd For Life - which is okay - I see some other similarities with The Stranglers. Apart from recording at TW, it was Horace who got involved with exegesis after buying a ticket for a seminar in the early 80s. There's more cohens - but I can't remember them offhand. Nice to see them back though. The only way The Stranglers will get on there is if there's a significant re-shuffle in the ranks involving the return of a former founding member! Only then they will get the 'Specials' treatment!

:roll:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.