buzzcocks 2009 tour

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: buzzcocks 2009 tour

Post by gjinblack »

fourth horseman wrote:stranglers tickets are still quite cheap compared to other people though, yet quite steep compared to others in the genre, does anyone know why?
I'd say The Stranglers have a very keen following- us- and we're prepared to pay for it.
euromanc-ometh
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

I'd much prefer to pay less but that's because I'm me. Looking at it from a business point of view, how many other bands can you see in concert who've had as many hits or releases as the Stranglers? I suppose we'd be told by the organizers that we're paying a bit over the top for the best 'product' around. Or am I talking shite again?
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Luckily for you that's what the promoter clearly thinks as well

Jim
gjinblack wrote:
fourth horseman wrote:stranglers tickets are still quite cheap compared to other people though, yet quite steep compared to others in the genre, does anyone know why?
I'd say The Stranglers have a very keen following- us- and we're prepared to pay for it.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
staginblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by staginblack »

Review from Nottingham Evening Post

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/enter ... ticle.html
Born As A Stranger
Down In The Sewer

Post by Born As A Stranger »

Here's the review from the Manchester Evening News as well

http://www.citylife.co.uk/music/rock_po ... _buzzcocks
--------------------------------------------------
I've taken some knockbacks
I've taken some hits
I've been invincible baby
And i've been in bits
But i've still got the FEVER!
R.I.McNabb
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

staginblack wrote:Review from Nottingham Evening Post

"a gloriously messy thrash through Steve Diggle's Harmony In My Head."

Understatement of the year! Diggle completely lost the plot during this last song, throwing his mike and stand into the front row for the crowd to provide vocals whilst at the same time going into a tantrum and ranting. Shelley looked at him in disgust and shouted "Sober up Diggle!"
Don't think Diggle liked the lukewarm response to 'Love Is Lies' earlier on, one of the very few songs he sung last night and I think this got to him.

Overall a blinding gig though, best set & best performance I've seenby Buzzcocks....probably.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

He was a bit like that at Leeds - I could tell it was gonna end in tears when after the first song Diggle pours himself a pint of Moet and continues to top up througout - Sure enough at the end of the gig the mic stand goes one way into the crowd and the guitar flies towards the other end of the stage

I think Diggles performance suffered because of it IMO

Jim
ThruBeingCool wrote:
staginblack wrote:Review from Nottingham Evening Post

"a gloriously messy thrash through Steve Diggle's Harmony In My Head."

Understatement of the year! Diggle completely lost the plot during this last song, throwing his mike and stand into the front row for the crowd to provide vocals whilst at the same time going into a tantrum and ranting. Shelley looked at him in disgust and shouted "Sober up Diggle!"
Don't think Diggle liked the lukewarm response to 'Love Is Lies' earlier on, one of the very few songs he sung last night and I think this got to him.

Overall a blinding gig though, best set & best performance I've seenby Buzzcocks....probably.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

You just reminded me of the guitar flying stage sideways! Think I saw a roadie just catch it. Never saw him drinking during the gig though and I was directly in front of him. I don't think he thought the crowd was lively enough judging by his comments but most seemed to be having a good time as far as I could see. Encores were awsome and ain't that drummer superb?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Did you see the drummer bouncing his sticks and catching on the off beat on Operators Manual? Awesome! He did a good job on "Late For The Train" as well.

Jim

ThruBeingCool wrote:You just reminded me of the guitar flying stage sideways! Think I saw a roadie just catch it. Never saw him drinking during the gig though and I was directly in front of him. I don't think he thought the crowd was lively enough judging by his comments but most seemed to be having a good time as far as I could see. Encores were awsome and ain't that drummer superb?
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

One word for them RETIRE. They were absoutly shockingly bad at birmingham academy 05, the one and only time i ever had the misfortune of seeing them. Mind you Stranglers werent much at that gig either.
Fatbusjim
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Fatbusjim »

pigeon wrote:One word for them RETIRE. They were absoutly shockingly bad at birmingham academy 05, the one and only time i ever had the misfortune of seeing them. Mind you Stranglers werent much at that gig either.
I was at that one too, but I seem to remember enjoying the Buzzcocks much more than The Stranglers on the night. The MIB suffered with technical problems on the night and also from having the last slot at the end of a very long day.

That said it was 4 years ago and we have seen recently how both bands have come back on top form.
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

Great gig at Cambridge Junction last night.
Arrived in time to see the whole of The Lurkers set, and they were superb - very well received by the smallish crowd which was slowly beginning to build up. (Stranglers got a mention in one of their songs about punk remeniscence).
Buzzcocks were as good as I've ever seen them - sound was excellent, with Shelley and Diggle both on top form. That drummer really is something else - first time I've enjoyed any sort of drum solo since the days when Rat Scabies was in The Damned. :smt004
Difficult to pick the best tracks of the night, but probably Sixteen Again, Nothing Left and ESP were the highlights of the main set. As for the encores, just a blur of classic singles and B sides culminating in the now obligatory mike stand into audience finale of Harmony In My Head. :grin:
Diggle's tipple of the night was pints of Guinness, mixed with top ups from a bottle of Moet - surely a recipe for an extremely windy bot. :shock:
Great to meet up with FenDale, Susie, and Adriana (still chuckling about Adrian comparing Pete Shelley to a "Punk Ronnie Corbett" :lol: ) and share excitement about the forthcoming Paris trip. :grin: :grin:
Brilliant stuff. :grin: