That Petrol Emotion

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

That Petrol Emotion

Post by C r a s s ! »

Personally I didn't rate them at Ally Pally in 1990 .... but tonight - up the road at Tufnell Park - at the Dirty Water Club there's a special, fans only, pre-festival warm-up gig, the first in more than a decade, by That Petrol Emotion.

There are no advance tickets available - sold 200 straight away just on the band's website alone. Anyone that wants to come should try to be first in the queue for tickets on the door when we open tonight. Entry is £10. 8.30pm-1.00am
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Warming up for The Electric Picnic Festival in Eire. Reformed after the dissolution of The Undertones (again) as album sales didn't go as well as expected.

Sex Pistols playing also.

Tickets sold out before line-up finalised
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

MULLY wrote:Warming up for The Electric Picnic Festival in Eire. Reformed after the dissolution of The Undertones (again) as album sales didn't go as well as expected.
I believe The Undertones are just giving it a rest for a while. They do have one gig lined up for London to promote the "new" Anthology album (which looks great with some demos, rehearsals, live versions etc.). Hopefully we'll see them again some time.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

doninblack wrote:
MULLY wrote:Warming up for The Electric Picnic Festival in Eire. Reformed after the dissolution of The Undertones (again) as album sales didn't go as well as expected.
I believe The Undertones are just giving it a rest for a while. They do have one gig lined up for London to promote the "new" Anthology album (which looks great with some demos, rehearsals, live versions etc.). Hopefully we'll see them again some time.
Thats right Don - they are promoting the new CD - but after the Good Vibes gig the word was they were calling it a day and the O'Neill brothers were reforming The Petrol Emotion. Perhaps there will be further 'one-offs', but the disappointment that 'Dig..' didn't take off as expected definitely put paid to a full Undertone revival (as had been the initial intention).

Seen 'Anthology' on Amazon - the track-listing is really good and a must-buy for all 'Tone fans 8)
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Arthurlee
SHAKESPEARO

Re: That Petrol Emotion

Post by Arthurlee »

C r a s s ! wrote:Personally I didn't rate them at Ally Pally in 1990 .... but tonight - up the road at Tufnell Park - at the Dirty Water Club there's a special, fans only, pre-festival warm-up gig, the first in more than a decade, by That Petrol Emotion.

There are no advance tickets available - sold 200 straight away just on the band's website alone. Anyone that wants to come should try to be first in the queue for tickets on the door when we open tonight. Entry is £10. 8.30pm-1.00am
i really liked them a while back .can we have a review of the gig at the dirty water pub crass please i would have liked to have been there.were you playing support for this gig because the feb21's are preeety cool too
FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by FenDale »

I loved them, a fantastic live band who also made some great albums and with "Big Decision" and "Hey Venus" should have had a couple of huge hit singles!

For those of you who don't really know their stuff but are aware of The Undertones work, think of how songs like "You've got my number" would have developed with a bit more "ooomph" and a very bouncy American singer (Stevie Mack) - as they used to say at the time, "It's a guitar thing, you've got to understand!"

That Petrol Emotion - under achievers and proud of it (as it said on an old t-shirt I had)!
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
Andrew
Rats Rally

Post by Andrew »

Saw them on 30th September 1998 at UEA Norwich. Can't recall much about the gig but gave it 3/5 at the time. Remember "Big Decision" being a great song, but never quite warmed to some of the others.
TWO SUNSPOTS
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by TWO SUNSPOTS »

Excellent band.

They used to release some great catchy singles which for some reason just didn't do very well.

Great song writing and a great singer.

Really good to have them back.
Freedom, there ain't no f**king freedom!!!!
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Thought they were well under-rated, saw them at Leeds Irish Centre a few year back and loved that gig.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Arthurlee wrote:
C r a s s ! wrote:Personally I didn't rate them at Ally Pally in 1990 .... but tonight - up the road at Tufnell Park - at the Dirty Water Club there's a special, fans only, pre-festival warm-up gig, the first in more than a decade, by That Petrol Emotion.

i really liked them a while back .can we have a review of the gig at the dirty water pub crass please i would have liked to have been there.were you playing support for this gig because the feb21's are preeety cool too

Thanks for the Febs feedback Arthurlee! No, I wasn't there I'm afraid. :grin:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I'd seen them before Ally Pally and they were good, but yes, they're another band which were well below par at Ally Pally

Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
mccardigan
Ugly
Ugly

Post by mccardigan »

I was at their last gig in Derry. The bass player ended an emotional gig by holding up his hand, fingers out and asking "What's this?" after a stunned silence he said "5 of these!" giving us the bird. Not quite hose a but special all the same.
if your breasts are too big you'll fall over. Unless, of course, you wear a rucksack.