Hazel O Connor

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ceebs
Rats Rally

Hazel O Connor

Post by ceebs »

Went off to see Hazel O Connor doing her Beyond Breaking Glass show at the Edinburgh Fringe on Friday. I`d read a bit about the shwo before going, so i knew we were in for an evening with her and a harp player doing arrangements of songs from throughout her career. Was quite sure how that would work, but knew it would be a bit different to the usual kind of gig.

Bunch of us arrived at the venue (The Freemasons Hall on George Street - didnt know it even existed before then!) around half 11, ready for the show. Quick beer before going in though, but the Freemasons know how to make their money - 4 quid for a pint of Moretti!! The usual comments about buying a pint, not shares in the brewery were made, and then into the hall we went.

The show was a mixture of songs and stories, working chronologically through (i.e. no "Cut to...." going on here!!) her life and career, touching on various incidents like getting stiffed by her record label in the 80s, cutting David Bowies hair, moving to the US and the death of a close friend. She has a very good way of putting the stories across, making it feel like youre just having a one on one convesration with her, and it made the show fly by in what felt like no time at all!

The songs worked really, really well with just her and the harpist and we got the expected material from Breaking Glass as well as some later material which was also very good. One song about the passing of a friend (called "Rebecca") was particularly effective and moving.

Before we knew it the evening was at an end, and we were back outside, very impressed by what we`d seen. Its funny how these evening where youre not quite sure what to expect or if you`ll be impressed turn out to be an unexpected joy.
I think the show tours sporadically in various parts of the country, but its worth catching her live if you get the chance.
No dreams go in, no dreams go out, of the hole in his wrinkled head.
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Did she sing hanging around
I belive i have a copy of that by her somewere
ceebs
Rats Rally

Post by ceebs »

No, didnt get Hanging Around unfortunately. Got most of the other early hits though, Eighth Day, Will You and Decadent Days and a couple others from Breaking Glass.
No dreams go in, no dreams go out, of the hole in his wrinkled head.