MAGAZINE to reform

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: MAGAZINE to reform

Post by Hammer »

Still no news about guitarist. :shock:
But support band are Ipso Facto. They are also having an aftershow party in Manchester, and who should be playing? Only STARBASE 109.
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Hugh in Black »

Interviewed Dave Formula a month of so back for Pennyblack Music - it's now on line here:

http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/MagSit ... px?id=4856

What a charming, modest and thoroughly nice chap he was. And funnily enough he (and his solo LP) was the catalyst that led to the band reforming.
Hughie in Black
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Top one cheers

Jim

Hugh in Black wrote:Interviewed Dave Formula a month of so back for Pennyblack Music - it's now on line here:

What a charming, modest and thoroughly nice chap he was. And funnily enough he (and his solo LP) was the catalyst that led to the band reforming.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Hugh in Black wrote:Interviewed Dave Formula a month of so back for Pennyblack Music - it's now on line here:

Thanks, excellent interview. :smt023
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

that really is an awesome interview - thanks again

Jim
Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Hugh in Black »

theraven1979 wrote:that really is an awesome interview - thanks again

Jim
Hey - no worries Jim - my pleasure!

Hughie.
Hughie in Black
fourth horseman

Post by fourth horseman »

I got my tickets in the post on saturday for Manchester! Can't wait! They were saying on arrow rock radio the other day that the favourite is to be Pete Shelley?
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'd be surprised with Shelley - Diggle is more lead guitar than Shelley - I think you need full on lead guitarist to pull it off?

Jim

fourth horseman wrote:I got my tickets in the post on saturday for Manchester! Can't wait! They were saying on arrow rock radio the other day that the favourite is to be Pete Shelley?
fourth horseman

Post by fourth horseman »

theraven1979 wrote:I'd be surprised with Shelley - Diggle is more lead guitar than Shelley - I think you need full on lead guitarist to pull it off?

Jim

fourth horseman wrote:I got my tickets in the post on saturday for Manchester! Can't wait! They were saying on arrow rock radio the other day that the favourite is to be Pete Shelley?
Yeah, Diggle would be better suited, I couldn't see Shelley pulling of some of them Mcgeoch riffs!
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

I have tickets for the first night in Manchester.I can't see it been either Shelly or Diggle,on lead.Who ever it is has a hard act to follow.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I know this is on a different thread but they are playing Glasgow as well, Alias.

http://www.wire-sound.com/
Roy Batty

Post by Roy Batty »

NOKO is the geeetarist!! and below is how he came about getting the gig.....

Basically the roads that lead to me playing with Magazine in '09 are as follows : I worked with Howard from '87-'90 in Luxuria, we made 2 LPs (The second one co-produced with Dave Formula) and toured in UK and USA in '88. For the very last Luxuria gig (coincidentally @ The Forum - formerly The Town & Country Club) Barry Adamson joined us onstage on bass for an encore of "The Light Pours Out Of Me".
Prior to forming Luxuria with Howard, I'd been in Pete Shelley's band for two seperate stints ; firstly on bass (replacing Barry when he joined The Bad Seeds), then again a year or two later on guitar in a line-up that featured Doyley on drums.
The only one (not surprisingly!) I haven't played with is John McGeoch.

I formed Apollo 440 immediately after Luxuria and initially abandonned guitar and immersed myself in analog synthesisers, sequencers and samplers (I wanted to "work w/. machines and look handsome"!). Pretty soon they were back though - you really can't Stop The Rock, it appears.
(Another connection here is that my partner in @440, Howard Gray (pre-Apollo) produced some songs for The Armoury Show featuring McGeoch and John Doyle).

Howard Devoto also contributed lyrics to a few of the songs on the first @440 LP "Milennium Fever".

See Apollo 440 Website for releases/productions/collaborations etc
We've just finished the 5th @440 LP to be released soon and have continued to play live from '90 to the present day.
I do a bit of DJing here and there and am currently scoring a French-language political thriller to be released next year.

It's not an overstatement to say that Magazine were my favourite band of all time and it's a thrill and an honour to be onboard for the gigs in '09.
Flangers on stun Mr. Spock!
Lv
Noko
URGH URGH URGH URGH!!!!