The Passions' classic "30,000 Feet Over China" on CD at last

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

The Passions' classic "30,000 Feet Over China" on

Post by FenDale »

The Passions classic "30,000ft Over China" album is being released on CD
for the first time by Cherry Red records after a long battle with Universal who wanted to do a "downloads only" release. The band's biggest single and one of the most iconic songs of the 80s "I'm In Love With a German Filmstar" is featured along with two other singles "The Swimmer" and "Skin Deep". Personally, my favourite tracks on the original album are "Someone Special" and "The Square" although there are some "B" sides and extras including the very wonderful "I Radiate".

Whilst the album cover is the same the CD comes with a booklet containing rare and unseen photos from the band's own collection plus a song-by-song account of the inspiration behind and the recording of each song (sounds a bit familiar :wink: ).

David, the bass player, is a big Stranglers fan and one of his greatest memories is of being in a lift with JJ discussing bass guitars when both bands were appearing on TOTP! There is a link to The Passions website on the Rat's Lair but you can also find it here where you'll find a comprehensive history/biography of the band, a huge collection of photos and plenty of interest to those of us who were around in the late 70s/early 80s.

The CD will be in the shops on Monday, 21st July and it can be pre-ordered now from the usual on-line outlets including:

Cherry Red: http://www.cherryred.co.uk/cherryred/ar ... ssions.htm

Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product//B00 ... v_thx_view

HMV: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=830268

Ideal Copy: http://idealcopy.american-data.net//Mer ... 3929136526

If you would like to see re-issues of the other two Passions’ albums (‘Michael and Miranda’ and ‘Sanctuary’), please feel free to contact Cherry Red Records infonet@cherryred.co.uk) to register your interest.
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Thanks for that Dale.

:twisted:

:lol:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
FenDale

Post by FenDale »

gizzard wrote:Thanks for that Dale.

:twisted:

:smt047
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
Sir Grim
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Sir Grim »

Fantastic news, I am a massive Passions fan, have been since I was grass high to a knee-hopper. In fact, I have this lp on CD already, released by Great Expectations, under license from Polygram, but with no 'extras'. Has been a perennial favourite.

Glad to hear that 'I Radiate' is going to appear on CD at last, I only have it on a cassette copy of the lp.
Throw away your crutch and be bold!
FenDale

Post by FenDale »

The release on Great Expectations was done without the band's knowledge or permission and was, I believe taken straight from the orginal tapes rather than re-mastered for digital release, unlike the Cherry Red release. The band certainly consider this current release to be the first "proper" one!

There is a chance that The Passions may even play a few gigs in the autumn with the line up that made 30,000ft, providing Barbara can get over from the USA where she now lives and they don't all fall out big time again which is why Clive Timperly, original guitarist, left in the first place. There was a band get-together the other weekend and things went pretty well, at least there were no fights :lol: , so it's possible!

http://thepassions.co.uk/news/Entries/2 ... nited.html
mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate »

Thanks for that Dale-I can sleep tonight :shock: :grin:
Did someone say "Wonky"?
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Do I remember an extended play/12" vinyl version of "German Film Star" :?: :? :smt102
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
FenDale

Post by FenDale »

mantheylovetohate wrote:Thanks for that Dale-I can sleep tonight :shock: :grin:
:roll:

FenDale

Post by FenDale »

PaulinLondon wrote:Do I remember an extended play/12" vinyl version of "German Film Star" :?: :? :smt102
There was apparently a very limited release of a 12" GFS but it was exactly the same as the 7".
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

FenDale wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote:Do I remember an extended play/12" vinyl version of "German Film Star" :?: :? :smt102
There was apparently a very limited release of a 12" GFS but it was exactly the same as the 7".
Cheers Dale.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

I have to confess i have never heard of them....

:oops:
Claireinblack
kent
mccardigan
Ugly
Ugly

Post by mccardigan »

I'll preorder that, cheers. Great little band.
if your breasts are too big you'll fall over. Unless, of course, you wear a rucksack.