First gig you ever saw!!

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Andrew
Rats Rally

Post by Andrew »

The Stranglers at Norwich UEA on 14th November 1981. I was 14 and it was £3.50 :grin:
FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by FenDale »

I got taken along with my older sister to see Steeleye Span at the ABC in Peterborough (now some crappy looking bar next to the Tesco on Broadway in the city centre, possibly only of value to OG this piece of info!!*) in 1975 - it was some kind of "birthday treat" (for her, obviously!!) and we ALL had to go and I couldn't get out of it :? Could have been worse, she wanted to see Genesis as well :shock:

* Jamie, did you know that what is now the Broadway Theatre used to be the Odeon? Last film I saw there was "The Commitments" in the late 80s I suppose! Last "gig" I went to there was "The Chuckle Brothers" last Saturday :lol: The joys of having kids, eh?!
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
Peteinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by Peteinblack »

I think it was the Pogues at the NEC Birmingham December 1988. Awful band but atmosphere was great. Magowan was just too pissed to play and I remember him not being able to find his mouth with the bottle of wine he had. To cap it all off our train was delayed at Birmingham so we then missed our connection at Wolverhampton. Had to get taxis back to Telford at our expense. Good old British Rail! :(
Hello folks One Day I will be my old self again
johnpidgeon

Post by johnpidgeon »

Elvis Costello and Squeeze at Maple Leaf Gardens (80/81?).
john pidgeon
brampton, ontario
canada
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

First proper gig was The Stranglers at the Rainbow in '81.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Pogues are great, even when MacGowan is a little worse for wear with alcohol, when he slurs every word the band (and songs) are still great. I've seen some brilliant performances, especially St Patricks at the T&C club or Brixton; join in and have some fun (mind you, NEC Birmingham)
Peteinblack wrote:I think it was the Pogues at the NEC Birmingham December 1988. Awful band but atmosphere was great. Magowan was just too pissed to play and I remember him not being able to find his mouth with the bottle of wine he had. To cap it all off our train was delayed at Birmingham so we then missed our connection at Wolverhampton. Had to get taxis back to Telford at our expense. Good old British Rail! :(
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

One and only time I saw the Pogues was Barrowlands, Fall from the Grace Of God tour, Shane was the most pissed I have ever seen a man, and it was, and still is, the most diverse crowd I have ever seen at a gig, all manner of punks, pikeys, jazzy beatniks, football hooligans, rockers and some of the oldest people I have ever seen at a gig also.
And the band played a stormer.
Fantastic band- first 3 albums are out and out class, and never date.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Sidinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Sidinblack »

I saw The Jam and The Stranglers do a few songs through an open fire exit at Canterbury Odeon 1977 (seperate gigs), 1st proper paying gig was The Rich Kids at Kent Uni early 1978.
In response to Claireinblack's post Eddie & The Hot Rods at Canterbury Odeon was 1978, support from Squeeze and Radio Stars, I was also there, small world.
Blind acceptance is a sign - of stupid fools who stand in line.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Pogues

Post by Bear Cage »

The most Drunk I've seen him was probably at Reading (late 80's), I really couldn't understand a word he slurred. Fully agree on the audience and first three albums.
Alias wrote:One and only time I saw the Pogues was Barrowlands, Fall from the Grace Of God tour, Shane was the most pissed I have ever seen a man, and it was, and still is, the most diverse crowd I have ever seen at a gig, all manner of punks, pikeys, jazzy beatniks, football hooligans, rockers and some of the oldest people I have ever seen at a gig also.
And the band played a stormer.
Fantastic band- first 3 albums are out and out class, and never date.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Alias wrote: Fantastic band- first 3 albums are out and out class, and never date.
:smt038 :smt038 :smt038

Seen them about 10 times and they were all fantastic gigs!
Saw them at the old Bristol Studio(now the Acadamy) in 1986 and I've never felt/seen a place shake so much! Thought the balcony was going to come down!

Saw Shane before the gig walking past us upstairs and he was swigging out of the biggest bottle of Wine I've ever seen! :shock:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Sidinblack wrote:I saw The Jam and The Stranglers do a few songs through an open fire exit at Canterbury Odeon 1977 (seperate gigs), 1st proper paying gig was The Rich Kids at Kent Uni early 1978.
In response to Claireinblack's post Eddie & The Hot Rods at Canterbury Odeon was 1978, support from Squeeze and Radio Stars, I was also there, small world.

Thanks for that Sidinblack !!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell, thats a few years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Small world indeed!!!!!!!
Claireinblack
kent
Fatbusjim

Post by Fatbusjim »

I still religiously keep my ticket stubs in an album, now running at 105 pages.

Not sure if this was my first gig but the first one in there is The Boomtown Rats at Manchester Apollo on 13th December 1978 priced at a mighty £2.50 :shock: . I seem to remember a guest appearence by none other than Jimmy Pursey.

We were at the Apollo last Friday and I swear it's exactly the same now as it was then, just a damn sight more expensive :evil: