I want to build a website

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Andrew
Rats Rally

Post by Andrew »

I found "Dreamweaver" a quite simple programme to operate and picked a version up on Ebay for a fraction of the shop cost. From there I just mucked in and had a go, occasionally referring to "Dreamweaver for Dummies". You'd probably find it useful to get an idea of how a website's code looks like, so what I did was pick a site that I liked and then copied the code from it to practise with (you're not supposed to use exactly the same code for copyright reasons, but it'll give you an idea of the commands needed to set something up). Just get a site up in your browser then click on "view" and then "source" to see the code.

I keep tweaking my site, but it only took me a few days to get something basic set up. You'll need to secure a website address and get a host too of course. I use www.1and1.co.uk to host. My site is www.andrew-hook.com.

Always happy to answer any questions you might have as you go along...
LAFOLIE
Ugly
Ugly

Post by LAFOLIE »

This guy builds web sites, apparently he's very good

http://www.1stdomains.co.uk/
I am the knot that slips from the loop

I am the earth that conquers the root
Tracy
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Tracy »

Rab uses WYSIWYG Web Builder 4

http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/

he's done our website

Tracy

www.alphatrophies.co.uk
When we're dead and gone when we get where we belong and we've sung the final song get the first bus to Babylon
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Dreamweaver

Post by Bear Cage »

You used to be able to download Dreamweaver for a 1-month free trial from their website (not sure if that's still the case) which was enough time to produce your website
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Actually building a website? How very 90s! :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Scoot
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Scoot »

theraven1979 wrote:Actually building a website? How very 90s! :lol:

Jim
Jim's right. Building them is fun but it helps when you know some coding even when using packages such as Dreamweaver. Many people now use sites such as myspace for their web presence as there are no uploading hassles; also, there seem to be loads of companies out there who offer useful templates etc. Scott.
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

you'll need somewhere to host your website too...a "domain"
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

I need to build a site as well but im crap at that sort of thing, whats the advantages and disadvantages with places like freewebs?
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

you don't get your own website address with freewebs, it would be something like "www.freewebsbudgetsites.martswebsite.com"
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Or
Eddy Burnel deux wrote: "www.freewebsbudgetsiteswithlotsofannoyingpopupadvertsandtonsofnewspamthatyouhavenotseenbefore.martswebsite.com"
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

mmm wont bother with freewebs then, any other suggestions
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Get a reliable domain hosting package fom someone like Demon, who do a basic service for 11.75/month. It's about £30 to register you domain name, eg, www.mart.co.uk.

This is assuming you already have web access (broadband). Once you get the domain and the hosting sorted you make you website at home, with Dreamweaver (which is very easy and won't require any special coding knowledge) and then you upload the site to the server as described in the info when you get the domain/hosting package.

The home page is called Index.html and something like Dreamweaver will manage and synchronise the site on the web and on your home pc so it's really easy to upload new pages etc...

make sense?!
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five