Cheers Government!

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Cheers Government!

Post by Organ Grinder »

Well that was not exactly unpredictable was it?

Offering Salmon Rushdie of all people a bloomin' knighthood and patiently awaiting the Al-Q response! What are our leaders thinking ferchristsake? It is almost as though they would like to make it difficult for us British folks walking the streets. I am slowly coming to the realisation that this HUGE terrorist threat is actually a positive thing in the governments eyes. Keep the plebs under fear and they'll toe the line - worked for the CoE fer many years dinnit! But the CoE are low on subscribers these days ain't they hmm....

So wotz the angle folks? I reckon the tarts at the top wanna incite some terrorism so they can foister their big brother ways onto us without us suspecting that they're being too overbearing! Help me out here - there must be other good reasons too! Because I can see no reason on earth how they can positively defend their stance to knight Salmon Rushdie in the present political climate unless it was to incite trouble can you? And why did the Queen think it OK to go ahead with the ridiculous nomination?!

"Services to literature".... yeah right. But wot about the rest who aren't likely to result in the poor british public copping it from another terrorist attack on the streets of London? Were they not a safer option?? I doubt anyone woulda complained that ole Sally didn't get his title this year do you? I mean, it's not like he's been knockin his pipe out with blockbuster after blockbuster is it? Nah, it smacks of pompous arrogance from the ole edifice's that creak, but it's not them who have to face the brunt on the streets is it? They have security befitting a King. We however do not.

Therefore I simply do not buy this "terrorism threat" anymore - our government has damned well cultivated it fer their own ends and today just proved it as far as I'm concerned!
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Re "Culture of Fear"...

"....however, most share the basic claim that this is a relatively new mass media-related phenomenon with important and potentially harmful implications".

Which sort of clashes with, "Have your wits about you".

A tough one....
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

I just get the general feeling that we're all being played by the government and the media. It is almost as if the two are seized by this paranoia and try their damndest to foister this onto the general public. The basic underlying fact is that for the large part, the government has antagonised and incited *most* of these troubles and is now doing it's best to propogate this hidden danger of terror to smokescreen it's fuck up.

I am not denying there are bastards out there intent on blowing us all up - I just think the government having created it is now realising it's uselfulness in controlling the public when introducing new schemes that dictate to us therefore has little wish for it to go away too soon ergo comments of "15 year fight" etc by the new chief of security this week.

Orwell saw it.
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Tony's last stand I wonder?

So Salman Rushdie has joined the ranks of Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey, well I for one am not impressed. I think the Groucho club principle could now be applied to the honours list.
steveareno
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by steveareno »

Whilst I'm 100% against the honours system, if there's one person who does deserve one, it's Rushdie.
I think it's a great measrure of support from the Governement for all that he has been through, to recognise his suffreing for freedom of speech.
We should never give in to these loonies. Wanting to kill people for writing a book is positivley inhuman. It's just another facist response which must be ignored, otherwise we'll end up with terrorists deciding who we do or do not reward in our society.
It's not a reward for Rushdie offending muslims, in my eyes it's a reward for sticking true to his guns & suffering tremendous hardship for his & our freedom to say what we want.

Steveareno.
'If there's no reason for your words, then your silence ain't absurd, if there's no reason for your breathing then it just won't do'
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Perhaps if he were to return his knighthood that would make everyone happy!
How deep?
steveareno
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by steveareno »

Niki Wu wrote:Perhaps if he were to return his knighthood that would make everyone happy!
Niki, wouldn't that effectivley result in a victory for the terrorists ? The message that this would send out would be that voilence & intimidation results in Governments changing policy. Then we'll have every nutter threatening our society for their respective crackpot views.

Steveareno.
'If there's no reason for your words, then your silence ain't absurd, if there's no reason for your breathing then it just won't do'
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

But surely the knighthood itself has become so devalued with or without the cash for honours scandal. Can you return honours these days without anyone taking out a fatwa or it's western equivalent against you?
How deep?
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Point being - if they hadn't given him it we wouldn't be having this conversation. Nobody woulda bemoaned the fact he didn't get given one. Face up to it lads - yer government don't give a fuck about the safety of your children. You are trying to explain away a scandalous act to make it easier to cope with the realisation the people who are tasked with providing your safety do not give a fuck about it. Understandable, as we all need to hold thoughts that get us through the night but we'll all be better off when we start to realise the truth - that it's every cnut fer himself these days... just like a Battle of Britain aerial dogfight.......
yellowcakeuf6
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

I wouldn't have bothered so much if his books weren't such boring, self-promoting, poorly written piles of absolute ballacks!