Bernard Manning - Dead!

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

steveareno
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by steveareno »

mctownie wrote:
Organ Grinder wrote: It was the look in his eye when he told the jokes - may sound gay but I could sense evil in him.
Cmon OG I think thats a bit over the top - I saw him a couple of times live and he was very funny - certainly funnier than some stand out comedians ive seen, plus the 2nd do I saw the money went to Charity.

He did a lot of work for charity and didnt go on about it. As far as I see it if you didnt like him, dont watch him. Im more bothered about people trying to censure things and telling me whether I ouught to watch them or not.......now that does get on my tits.

RIP Bernard
I respect your opinion, but that I find that reply really incredulous. He did a lot of good work for charity, therefore he can be excused being a racist ? I'm all for his freedom of speech (however vile it may be), therefore when he spouts racist garbage which can result in discrimination against people in our society, he will invite my freedom of speech to note my PC (& proud of it) disgust.
And yes, I suppose he had a talent for being genuinley funny guy, but again that alone doesn't therefore give you carte blanche to be a racist.

Steveareno.
'If there's no reason for your words, then your silence ain't absurd, if there's no reason for your breathing then it just won't do'
yellowcakeuf6
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

Organ Grinder wrote: may sound gay but I could sense evil in him.
As those 2 great bastions (I said 'bastions' :wink: ) of modern contemporary music, Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson, said in thier iconic pop super smash hit...... :shock: :roll: :shock: 'Ebony and Ivory' ..........."There is good and bad in everyone"

Thank You
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Longest obituary thread so far on here :?:

:smt069
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
mctownie
Ugly
Ugly

Post by mctownie »

steveareno wrote:
mctownie wrote:
Organ Grinder wrote: It was the look in his eye when he told the jokes - may sound gay but I could sense evil in him.
Cmon OG I think thats a bit over the top - I saw him a couple of times live and he was very funny - certainly funnier than some stand out comedians ive seen, plus the 2nd do I saw the money went to Charity.

He did a lot of work for charity and didnt go on about it. As far as I see it if you didnt like him, dont watch him. Im more bothered about people trying to censure things and telling me whether I ouught to watch them or not.......now that does get on my tits.

RIP Bernard
I respect your opinion, but that I find that reply really incredulous. He did a lot of good work for charity, therefore he can be excused being a racist ? I'm all for his freedom of speech (however vile it may be), therefore when he spouts racist garbage which can result in discrimination against people in our society, he will invite my freedom of speech to note my PC (& proud of it) disgust.
And yes, I suppose he had a talent for being genuinley funny guy, but again that alone doesn't therefore give you carte blanche to be a racist.

Steveareno.
Well he told jokes that poked fun at all people in the community - whites, blacks, pakistanis, mother-in-laws, fat people (including himself), thin people, jeez. So it makes him an anti-fat, thin, white, mother-in-law person as well!

He didnt go round burning down Temples or deliver his routine in a white hood and had friends from the ethnic community. You had to take him with a pinch of salt and as I say you didnt have to listen to him if he offended you.

Much better than listening to some of the shite comedians spout forward this day & age. BM could tell a funny joke and had comic timing if some of his jokes were not very PC good for him!

I have a pakistani friend who used to tell anti-paki jokes. So I suppose I should slag him off when he dies to!
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

I had an Ugandan Asian mate that was like that too. Pretty sure it was a defense mechanism. And as Gervais proved on The Office, you don't have to be black to be offended by racism.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

Whilst not being a big fan of the man's brand of humour,he did give the finger to the establishment.And did'nt give a flying fuck what the PC zealots thought.

Hmm a bit like The Stranglers really.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Knew it would happen sooner or later - a shitty connection made with The Stranglers. Manning never had some sort of one man crusade to over turn the injustices of PC, sure he may have defended his stance using that pile of shite at various times, but at the end of the day he just cracked jokes to make light of his hang-ups. A fat bigot who hid behind humour.

The Stranglers were ostrasized through ignorance. A similar ignorance which viewed Manning's brand of humour as a valid political statement. - the Stranglers never possessed ignorance in any shape or form in the way Manning did and as such did not deserve the treatment they recieved, unlike Manning.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I guess Manning's such an easy target

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

Re: Manning - an easy target..

Nah Jim the easy targets were indian and black in the UK in the 70s and Mr.Manning went for the easy targets.

He went for those targets the same time the stranglers were playing with steel pulse, doing rock against racism and writing wog..so any tentative link to bernard manning and the stranglers is one of opposites...the stranglers had two fingers to the establishment, manning was a nasty manifestation of why it needed two fingers.

The bernard manning stood up to correctness argument is fine if "correctness" had even existed as a term then and if he wasn't completely in-keeping with the sort of enoch powell mentality that still hung over england in the 70s. Was he evil ..god only knows...a symptom of his time, yep - but unlike the stranglers he wasn't pushing back against anything. People are engaging with this as if bernard was doing his schtick today, he isn't, he was doing it in the 70's and early eighties...and was doing so on prime time tv.
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

"We went on tour with the reggae band Steel Pulse who played with a strong political message. When they played the midlands I think Wolverhampton where they were from they were getting bottles thrown at them and all types of abuse from the a white Stranglers audience – our audience and they didn’t know what to do. We were so embarrassed that we walked on stage and apologized. Jet made a speech. These are our friends and if you don’t have the intelligence to respect their 45 minute set then you have no respect for us. If you have a problem we will be waiting by the side for you. Silence. And everybody listened to the set. "

JJ at the time.....and we like bernard manning because..??
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
yellowcakeuf6
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

Phil, mate.....Have you ever been to Wolverhampton for longer than 1 night?

It's shitty, but it happens. And most of the people in Wolverhampton, whether black, white, purple etc. deal with it and move on.

Like I say, it's shitty!
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

I think David Buckley comparing The Stranglers to Bernard Manning is not so wide of the mark.Is anyone trying to say The Stranglers did'nt go out their way to shock and be controversial in their early career.They had all the usual stuff levelled at them racism,sexism,misogny,misanthropy regarding their music and attitude.It was people like Savage and Coon who where the PC brigade of their era,and lambasted the band for their musical output and stance.

Manning was a product of his time,just like that odious sitcom"Love thy Neighbour".But much like Manning The Stranglers have been cast down to the pits of hell,for the sins of their past,bollocks I know.Obviously Savage and Coon are probably delighted at the fact they have been erased from the annals of popular music,that's what they have always wanted.But what next with these cunts....burning books for fucks sake.

At the end of the day nobody likes being told what to do,read,eat,say,think,listen to,read,watch it's human nature to kick back.We do live in a democratic and free thinking society(only just) and people should have the right to make up their own collective minds.

As I stated I was'nt a fan of Manning,but he had a right to exist.And as David Buckley stated in "No Mercy" if The Stranglers needed another name it would be "Controversy" that was always part of the bands appeal, along with superb musical output.