Bernard Manning - Dead!

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

mabus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by mabus »

Frank Castle wrote:
Manning was a product of his time,just like that odious sitcom"Love thy Neighbour"
There is a massive difference between Manning and Love thy neighbour.
LTN as with Till Death us do part and Rigsby in Rising damp all made the bigot a foolish, self depreciating character. The idea was the make a mockery of racists.

Manning embraced the bigot persona. He was a celebration of racism. He wasn't self depreciating in any way. Anyone who saw him on Mrs Merton after Richard Wilson made an innocuous 'Who?' joke, could see what a nasty bastard he was when a joke was made at his expense.
As for taking the piss out of everyone.....A popular misconception, he certainly never took the piss out of the White Mancunian Working Man in the nasty way he belittled blacks and Asians.

A product of his times [70s] for sure. But he showed his limitations by not being able to move on
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Phil

I think you're missing the point a bit - I think it's fair to say that everyone here doesn't agree with Mr Mannings racist opinions etc. What we are saying is there goes a bloke who (albeit living in the past) never bowed down to the PC brigade, did a hell of a lot for charity, etc.

There's nothing wrong with telling jokes that have a racist awareness/message in them. Some people need to be aware that racism still happens today whether black, white whatever. It's the British spirit to laugh and others misfortunes. Fuck didn't we get through 2 world wars like this? Also, to start banning things like this then you're gonna have to wipe old episodes of Only Fools and Horses from existance and countless other programmes, comedians etc. I guess Mannings downfall and what puts me off is the fact that when he tells the racist jokes he actually looks like he means it.

I don't think anyone idolises him or anything like that.

Jim

philjxn wrote:"We went on tour with the reggae band Steel Pulse who played with a strong political message. When they played the midlands I think Wolverhampton where they were from they were getting bottles thrown at them and all types of abuse from the a white Stranglers audience – our audience and they didn’t know what to do. We were so embarrassed that we walked on stage and apologized. Jet made a speech. These are our friends and if you don’t have the intelligence to respect their 45 minute set then you have no respect for us. If you have a problem we will be waiting by the side for you. Silence. And everybody listened to the set. "

JJ at the time.....and we like bernard manning because..??
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
steveareno
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by steveareno »

philjxn wrote:"We went on tour with the reggae band Steel Pulse who played with a strong political message. When they played the midlands I think Wolverhampton where they were from they were getting bottles thrown at them and all types of abuse from the a white Stranglers audience – our audience and they didn’t know what to do. We were so embarrassed that we walked on stage and apologized. Jet made a speech. These are our friends and if you don’t have the intelligence to respect their 45 minute set then you have no respect for us. If you have a problem we will be waiting by the side for you. Silence. And everybody listened to the set. "

Top response.
I have a JJ interview somewhere from '78 in which he says "if the NF come along to any of our gigs, they'll get stomped on". I think it followed an incident @ either the Red Cow / Nashville Old Codgers / Shakesperoes secret gigs that Summer.
I wish I could make a point that well & that brief.

Steveareno.
'If there's no reason for your words, then your silence ain't absurd, if there's no reason for your breathing then it just won't do'
helgy
Ugly
Ugly

Post by helgy »

the black actors in ltn enjoyed what they were doing as it poked fun at the ignorant if you remember the epidode when they was going to cook the white man in a big cooking pot.
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Post by suchi »

steveareno wrote:

Top response.
I have a JJ interview somewhere from '78 in which he says "if the NF come along to any of our gigs, they'll get stomped on". I think it followed an incident @ either the Red Cow / Nashville Old Codgers / Shakesperoes secret gigs that Summer.
I wish I could make a point that well & that brief.

Steveareno.
Just to follow on from one of mi other posts....I may be wrong (you can put me right if I'm wrong) but I get the feeling that NF/BNP mob have a larger and more sympathetic following than ever. So how is the battle against racism being won in this country? Has JJ stomped on any fascists recently? :roll:

Its fucking bad news all round IMO and the media unwittingly fuels it.
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Yeah it's easy to get high and mighty over Manning's gags when you most probably all larfed your socks off at the time! :grin:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Crasserman!!

God knows I love dem dere' gags, but when they come from a proper downright racist who sadly misses the irony and devil-may-care attitude, that goes into the production of the gag, and hopes his humour will strike pain at the target, I struggle mate. No. I really do.

There is always a "shit-I-shouldn't-chuckle........... but I do!!" aspect to any paki/black/Irish (couldn't care less, half me family are Paddies so sue me!!!") joke but it's all about delivery!

Manning didn't. He just looked like a man wiv an axe to grind.

No flies on me guv................. said Bob to tha....
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

C r a s s ! wrote:Yeah it's easy to get high and mighty over Manning's gags when you most probably all larfed your socks off at the time! :grin:
you know what ...i couldn't stand him then and aint going to do the polite...british icon..."everyone love you"... thing now. Laughed my socks off at billy connolly, even little and large, open all hours, the fat ronnie barker...but manning was a dinosaur even then.
Last edited by philjxn on 22 Jun 2007, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEN BIGLEY!!!!!!!!!! Anyone? :(
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Changing comedians for a second, I think Ricky Gervais has an infectious voice. Even when he talks seriously, I want to piss myself laughing. :lol:

I think he was on Desert Island Discs last weekend. :?

:grin:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

PaulinLondon wrote:Changing comedians for a second, I think Ricky Gervais has an infectious voice. Even when he talks seriously, I want to piss myself laughing. :lol:

That twat should be added to the celebrity cnut list! :evil:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

gizzard wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote:Changing comedians for a second, I think Ricky Gervais has an infectious voice. Even when he talks seriously, I want to piss myself laughing. :lol:

That twat should be added to the celebrity cnut list! :evil:
Yes. Ricky is a bit of a self-opinionated tosser at times. :grin:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.