Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Things you fecken hate..........

Post by theraven1979 »

Never know someone get wound up so much about cricket :lol:

Do you care that much that the participants are now "batters" ?

I'm not gonna argue the toss that this is a big step forward for gender equality but by the same token it's no step backwards or cause to cry,

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:01
8088 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 11:53
It is perhaps the silliest example but can you tell me then why using "batters" is such a leap forward and for whom? What palpable injustice has been rectified - frame this against all the current ills of the world and tell me how time spent on this is justified?

To be honest it just doesn’t bother me, I don’t have a problem with using gender neutral terminology, it’s not a bad thing at all in my opinion. Conversely of all the things people could be upset about, getting worked up about gender neutral terminology is just pathetic (again IMO)
It's because this kind of mission creep on definitions and language is specifically designed to breed contempt and sow division. Saying batter instead of batsman is really of no consequence to anyone but you can be sure as hell those who mistakenly say batsman in the future will be treat with contempt.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

8088 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:09
It's because this kind of mission creep on definitions and language is specifically designed to breed contempt and sow division. Saying batter instead of batsman is really of no consequence to anyone but you can be sure as hell those who mistakenly say batsman in the future will be treat with contempt.

I really doubt that

It works both ways as far as sowing division is concerned. There’s a ridiculous paranoid delusion amongst large sections of British society that we live in some kind of “woke” left wing dictatorship, with the BBC as it’s propaganda wing. The reality is a hard right Tory majority that got Brexit done irrespective of the countless warnings of the damage to the economy and relations with our European counterparts that this would entail, all being bourne out as we speak. The so called “Left Wing” BBC effectively does nothing to challenge the narrative and doesn’t even dare mention the “B” word (just like the leader of the “opposition”). Personally, I don’t think Britain has become too “woke”, the opposite in fact.

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:21
8088 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:09

I really doubt that

It works both ways as far as sowing division is concerned. There’s a ridiculous paranoid delusion amongst large sections of British society that we live in some kind of “woke” left wing dictatorship, with the BBC as it’s propaganda wing. The reality is a hard right Tory majority that got Brexit done irrespective of the countless warnings of the damage to the economy and relations with our European counterparts that this would entail, all being bourne out as we speak. The so called “Left Wing” BBC effectively does nothing to challenge the narrative and doesn’t even dare mention the “B” word (just like the leader of the “opposition”). Personally, I don’t think Britain has become too “woke”, the opposite in fact.
If you think the country is run by "a hard right Tory majority" and under the influence of the anti-woke then there's nothing more I can say to you.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

8088 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:34

If you think the country is run by "a hard right Tory majority" and under the influence of the anti-woke then there's nothing more I can say to you.

It’s not that simplistic, but the fact is the Tories culled the party of those they perceived as being more liberal in the run up to the last election. The Tories of more recent years tried adapting more pragmatic approaches, had respect for diplomatic norms and those days seem to be well and truly gone. The point remains that those moaning that everything is too woke really need to calm the fek down

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:45 The point remains that those moaning that everything is too woke really need to calm the fek down
I'm not. But I'm am disgusted about specific incidents - silly encroachments over language and definitions like 'batter' is nothing but when the NHS is ordering new signage and reprinting literature because it decides "Mother" or "Maternity" aren't inclusive that has a real impact on an institution that is already on it's knees.

When a diversity and inclusivity manager costs more than three nurses I despair at those responsible for it's upkeep.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

8088 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 13:07

I'm not. But I'm am disgusted about specific incidents - silly encroachments over language and definitions like 'batter' is nothing but when the NHS is ordering new signage and reprinting literature because it decides "Mother" or "Maternity" aren't inclusive that has a real impact on an institution that is already on it's knees.

When a diversity and inclusivity manager costs more than three nurses I despair at those responsible for it's upkeep.
I’m not sure about that, it’s not something that I am aware of, do you have any links to sources of this information?

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 13:33
8088 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 13:07

I’m not sure about that, it’s not something that I am aware of, do you have any links to sources of this information?
https://cafemom.com/news/uk-hospital-ge ... erminology

https://twitter.com/calvinrobinson/stat ... 5891174406
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

On the subject of the NHS I wonder why many of those who are so angry about perceived “wokeness” aren’t more angry about the Billions Tory politicians squandered on dodgy PPE contracts to their mates and the whole debacle over the test and trace system, but yeah or main pressing issue is too much diversity and wokeness :smt009
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Very objective and nonpartisan sources of information you present, not

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 13:50 On the subject of the NHS I wonder why many of those who are so angry about perceived “wokeness” aren’t more angry about the Billions Tory politicians squandered on dodgy PPE contracts to their mates and the whole debacle over the test and trace system, but yeah or main pressing issue is too much diversity and wokeness :smt009
I agree. 37 billion on T & T is a travesty and nobody blinked an eye. The pandemic has been a godsend to world's rich.

The difference between you and I is I no longer differentiate between Left and Right - they are all cut from the same cloth - sociopaths and spivs who will do anything to remain in power and line their pockets.

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 13:52

Very objective and nonpartisan sources of information you present, not
The actual NHS link within the first article doesn't count? The NHS job ad buried in the second link doesn't count either?

You've just betrayed your position on such things. Bye.
Last edited by 8088 on 24 Sep 2021, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.