Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Swearing - freedom of

Post by theraven1979 »

Just leading on from another thread.

It seems like Fuck, wanker, arsehole etc have been accepted into the daily vocab. However, cunt still remains the ultimate no-no. Do you think cunt will ever be accepted in modern society?

Jim *insert your own jokes*
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
yellowcakeuf6
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Swearing - freedom of

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

theraven1979 wrote:Do you think cunt will ever be accepted in modern society?
Well.........Jamie Oliver appears to have been! :shock:
Keninblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by Keninblack »

I got pulled up in work for calling Margret Thatcher a cunt.

I was told by a Tory boy that that sort of language was unacceptable, so I had to ask 'what, cunt or Thatcher?'
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

I got that Times article from the discussions page of the Cunt entry (oo-er etc) of Wiki, which is well worth a read. Regarding the acceptance of the word in "modern society" I reckon for now it depends on where in the world you live. In the US, for example, it seems to be a word purely aimed at females in a derogatory fashion, whereas the UK and Aus for example, we seem to use it more for males. And unlike in the US where it is always derogatory, it can be used over here and Aus as almost a term of endearment too, eg "He's a good cunt", "He's a funny cunt" etc as well as being used for inanimate objects, "The cunts (car) fucked" "Pass me another one of those cunts (Screws/Bolts/Tools etc)" as well as in, "Every cunts doing it" "No cunt told me" etc etc etc.

Going back to the original point of the post, due to the screening of things such as Gerry Springer The Opera on UK TV, seen by many as a deliberate challenge to the taboo status of the word (The performance included the phrase "cunting, cunting, cunting, cunting cunt" (a description of the Devil)), I reckon the time of "modern society" being scared of a particular sequence of four letters is almost up.

But for now, I reckon you can't beat this one:

"The black metal band Cradle of Filth printed a shirt depicting a nun masturbating with a crucifix on the front, and on the back, in big white letters, reads: "JESUS IS A CUNT". This shirt has sparked much controversy, mostly in their home country of Great Britain, where a fan was arrested for wearing it in public, as was their former drummer in Russia. They continue to print the shirt, championing their right to free speech."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunt
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

I have heard quite a lot of young girls using the word cunt and obvioulsy, many blokes and these being our future........ well, I don;t think it'll be too long before cunt is acceptable in the majority of circles save, at funerals and evening mass.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah would be alright that "As we lay to rest Grinder, let's all remember what a proper cunt he was" :P

Jim
Organ Grinder wrote:I have heard quite a lot of young girls using the word cunt and obvioulsy, many blokes and these being our future........ well, I don;t think it'll be too long before cunt is acceptable in the majority of circles save, at funerals and evening mass.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Spikey©
Down In The Sewer

Post by Spikey© »

The 'C' word is actually a very old word from the English language and at one time it was the 'proper' word for ladies bits. It first appeared in the english some 1500 years ago.

If Kaoos sees this, i'm sure she'll back me up in saying that it was used often in literature, Chaucer I think, used it in his Canterbury tales.

So it's strange that you can use the word vagina but not cunt when I believe the latter is older (in english) than the former.
Hey little baby don't you lean down low, your brain's exposed and it's starting to show...
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

theraven1979 wrote:Yeah would be alright that "As we lay to rest Grinder, let's all remember what a proper cunt he was" :P

Jim
Organ Grinder wrote:I have heard quite a lot of young girls using the word cunt and obvioulsy, many blokes and these being our future........ well, I don;t think it'll be too long before cunt is acceptable in the majority of circles save, at funerals and evening mass.
It has, supposedly, been used in the Australian parliment, in rhyming slang, and also as below;

"In December 1997 Alan Ramsey, who has an unrivalled memory for the peccadilloes of politicians, wrote that Menzies had called Calwell "a piece of scum" and that I had called Billy McMahon "a runt". I sent him a fax:

I used the word for an aspiring Prime Minister, not a Prime Minister (Abiding Interests, page 23). It was apt but cruel. A person as tall as I should not have used it. Never in the House did I use the word which comes to mind.

"The nearest I came to doing so was when Sir Winton Turnbull, a member of the cavalleria rusticana, was raving and ranting on the adjournment and shouted: "I am a Country member". I interjected "I remember". He could not understand why, for the first time in all the years he had been speaking in the House, there was instant and loud applause from both sides."

See Ref: http://whitlamdismissal.com/speeches/00 ... bate.shtml
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

theraven1979 wrote:Yeah would be alright that "As we lay to rest Grinder, let's all remember what a proper cunt he was" :P

Jim
Ha! :grin:

Did you ever see the funeral service for Monty Python's Graham Chapman?
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

"Cunt" will get its day of freedom (of expression) in the next few years. The acid test will probably be in a learned journal like The Sun or The Star where the football manager, when interviewed and asked if he thought his team played well, replies and is quoted as saying, "....we were awful. We played like cunts".

"Are you happy with the new stadium ?"

"Very but it's a real cunt to get to".

As it is, certain more respected papers have no problem printing "fuck".

Similarly, the very clever "FCUK" is already on the High Street, maybe "CNUT" might get its day too ?
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Spikey© wrote:The 'C' word is actually a very old word from the English language and at one time it was the 'proper' word for ladies bits. It first appeared in the english some 1500 years ago.

If Kaoos sees this, i'm sure she'll back me up in saying that it was used often in literature, Chaucer I think, used it in his Canterbury tales.

So it's strange that you can use the word vagina but not cunt when I believe the latter is older (in english) than the former.
Willy The Shake used a couple of references to cunt too, a particularly lame joke In Hamlet, I think it was, springs to mind.

yellowcakeuf6
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

PaulinLondon wrote:Similarly, the very clever "FCUK" is already on the High Street, maybe "CNUT" might get its day too ?

Taken from the very marvellous

www.kingcnut.com