Punk - Not how it should be?!

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Pam
Rats Rally

Punk - Not how it should be?!

Post by Pam »

At the weekend went to the "Punk Anniversary" all-dayer at SBE. Flyer given out at one of the Stranglers' gigs said there'd be food and record stalls etc. so assumed they would be on the upper Levels.

Got to venue later than planned due to transport problems but thought we'd still be in time to see Goldblade who we knew were first band on and due on stage at 5:10 p.m. With great foresight venue didn't open doors until 5 o'clock so Goldblade did most of set to no more than a few dozen people - especially as not only was everyone being searched before being allowed in but all studded belts had to be removed ( as they were apparently less of a threat when in the owner's pocket or bag rather than when being worn :roll: ). Strange thing was that no-one really rebelled against any of this. The only slight aggravation was later on; they were not allowing pass- outs despite there being no food on sale ( when we queried this with Duty Manager he said venue aren't responsible for what's on flyers !? ). A few of us didn't fancy spending the whole evening in cramped conditions where the majority had been drinking solidly for 6 hours with nothing to eat apart from Pringles and so asked to be allowed to level 1 ( which was virtually empty). Manager referred us back to girl at box office who eventually relented - with the cheery salutation " Oh for fucks sake........ "

At a time when we are constantly being told that traditional figures of authority such as police , medical staff etc. now receive less respect than they used to why do staff at gigs have such power over us?

( the Damned and Sham 69 were very good though :grin: ).
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

The staff at the SBE have become more brutish over the last few years. I don't know what to put it down to save that all the employees (except for the Upper Levels bar staff) treat the gig going punter like dirt. From the minute you walk through the door, it is as though you have barged uninvited into their living room.

The nicest staff I have ever met were years ago at the Oxford Apollo.

I think these "staff" are not trained properly or they are told to treat all punk fans as potential football hooligans. For the time being, it's a no win situation.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

SBE, December 2004.....

Me and my mate Leon were standing on the steps at the back (there was literally nowehere else to perch as it was so rammed!). The cock of a 'security' dweeb kept asking us to get off the steps. We couldn't move due to bodies.

Get this picture ok - there was nowhere to stand other than the steps!

He kept badgering us and we got more and more frustrated that we could not comply with his ridiculous demands when eventually a huge faninblack (big guy!) on our behalf poked the dweeb square in the chest and shouted:

"FUCK OFF YOU FUCKIN LITTLE CUNT!"

One of those brilliant moments that reaffirm your love of Stanglers fans. :lol:
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Ian9331
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Ian9331 »

Organ Grinder wrote:SBE, December 2004.....

Me and my mate Leon were standing on the steps at the back (there was literally nowehere else to perch as it was so rammed!). The cock of a 'security' dweeb kept asking us to get off the steps. We couldn't move due to bodies.

He kept badgering us and we got more and more frustrated that we could not comply with his ridiculous demands when eventually a huge faninblack (big guy!) on our behalf poked the dweeb square in the chest and shouted:

Oh Yes! Classic! And just to remind them we're not a 'walk over'!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Nice one, some of them security geezers need twatting anyway, they think they are fucking hardmen or summat, they are just bullies who need to be taught a lesson.
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

I have also encountered the Stalinist aproach of the staff at the SBE. As long ago as the About Time tour, we had seats on an upper level and were waiting for the band to come on. The level of excitement rose until the moment arrived, and everyone stood up as the band took the stage. The security staff were patrolling the isles ordering everybody to sit down in a very aggresive manner, and I have to say, their attitude took the edge off the evening for me. I also encountered a similiar shitty attitude from staff at the indoor arena at Birmingham when we took the kids to see Winnie the Pooh! It seems that once you give one of these twats a walkie talkie and a little power, it goes to their heads.
Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:

Nice one, some of them security geezers need twatting anyway, they think they are fucking hardmen or summat, they are just bullies who need to be taught a lesson.

We 'Twatted' a few of them in our time Arthur I can tell you.

I remember one occasion (Can’t remember where it was though) when Hugh had actually stopped the gig to 'cunt off' the bouncers whose behavior was bordering on psychotic by randomly beating people up (The Americans in Vietnam had a ‘term’ for this when otherwise decent American GI’s got so scared that they would shoot anything that moved, even children).
I suppose it has to be taken into consideration that a security job at these early gigs could be a very dangerous occupation and some of them got very ‘jumpy’ and over reacted to the antics of the punters (who were often crazy little bastards, throwing beer, gobbing and punching the shit out of each other). Don’t get me wrong, I’m not making any excuses for the bouncers whatsoever but as there there is no comparison to a Stranglers gig in 2006 and one from 1976/77 so I suppose the security at the SBE have no excuses whatsoever.
Having said that, I have only experienced a handful of Strangler gigs in the 21st century but I think I have seen enough to realise that most Stranglers fans these days are not likely to give any security staff too much bother (might whack one of them with a zimmer) so they must be right fucking arseholes.

I’ll tell you more about what happened at this gig another time.

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Alan A Hillier wrote:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:

We 'Twatted' a few of them in our time Arthur I can tell you.

I remember one occasion (Can’t remember where it was though) when Hugh had actually stopped the gig to 'cunt off' the bouncers whose behavior was bordering on psychotic by randomly beating people up (The Americans in Vietnam had a ‘term’ for this when otherwise decent American GI’s got so scared that they would shoot anything that moved, even children).
I suppose it has to be taken into consideration that a security job at these early gigs could be a very dangerous occupation and some of them got very ‘jumpy’ and over reacted to the antics of the punters (who were often crazy little bastards, throwing beer, gobbing and punching the shit out of each other). Don’t get me wrong, I’m not making any excuses for the bouncers whatsoever but as there there is no comparison to a Stranglers gig in 2006 and one from 1976/77 so I suppose the security at the SBE have no excuses whatsoever.
Having said that, I have only experienced a handful of Strangler gigs in the 21st century but I think I have seen enough to realise that most Stranglers fans these days are not likely to give any security staff too much bother (might whack one of them with a zimmer) so they must be right fucking arseholes.

I’ll tell you more about what happened at this gig another time.

Al
Nice one!
I remember some security guys attempting to throw a bloke off the top balcony at Bradford's St. George's Hall.
The band stopped playing and JJ demanded to know what the hell was going on. We all looked around to see some guy fighting with some bouncers and he was nearly going over the edge of the balcony.
Good job he didnt fall, didn't fancy having him land on my head!
:lol:

JJ actually apologized later to the security guys and said the guy on the balcony was being a wanker.
Still no excuse to try and chuck him off the balcony though!

Aye go on mate do tell us more about your scrapes at gigs!
Cheers.
:smile:
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Alan A Hillier wrote: Don’t get me wrong, I’m not making any excuses for the bouncers whatsoever but as there there is no comparison to a Stranglers gig in 2006 and one from 1976/77 so I suppose the security at the SBE have no excuses whatsoever.

Al
That's the crucial point Al. There can't be any comparison between the 76 days and the 2006 Stranglers days yet the mentality of these bouncers, wardens, game keepers beggars belief.

At a Killing Joke gig at the Astoria a year or so ago, "their" attitude and approach boarded on GBH towards young kids jumping up and down (not side to side) just trying to have a bit of fun. There was no plastic glass throwing, no spitting. Just "employed heavies" finding an excuse to air their aggression.

Maybe the prisons are too full and some that are lucky, get community service by doing a spell of "bouncing".
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I remember that Bradford incident - it was all kicking off that night in a rammed St Georges Hall

I always thought the bouncers were actually there to protect us? First aid training and all that? Seems to me that it's usually me (or other fans) picking fans up off the floor or passing them over the barriers etc.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

theraven1979 wrote:I remember that Bradford incident - it was all kicking off that night in a rammed St Georges Hall

I always thought the bouncers were actually there to protect us? First aid training and all that? Seems to me that it's usually me (or other fans) picking fans up off the floor or passing them over the barriers etc.

Jim
First Aid training? lol
What you mean they kick the shit outta you first and knock you unconscious then give you some First Aid when you have come around
:wink: