A bottle (or 5) for the weekend

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: A bottle (or 5) for the weekend

Post by Bag Lady »

Being between batches of homebrew I have been presented with a 1l carton of Tesco Everyday Value Spanish Red. Should I view this as an upgrade? :?
No one can win against kipple.
bill
Rats Rally

Post by bill »

Bag Lady wrote:Being between batches of homebrew I have been presented with a 1l carton of Tesco Everyday Value Spanish Red. Should I view this as an upgrade? :?
It's cheap and definitely contains alcohol - any port (or Spanish red) in a storm.

But homebrew rocks!!! I always had "issues" with red wine (catch any sediment when you're bottling up, and it's goodnight Vienna), but was a dab hand with the white wine kits. I'm not a connoisseur, you understand, but it worked for me.

In fact, one of my proudest moments: having just finished one bottle, and too pissed to decant the new batch that was ready for bottling, I grabbed the demijohn and a straw... :mrgreen: :smt107
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Aldi's award winning Tempranillo £3.59 a bottle an ruddy marvellous *hic*

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

bill wrote:
Bag Lady wrote:Being between batches of homebrew I have been presented with a 1l carton of Tesco Everyday Value Spanish Red. Should I view this as an upgrade? :?
It's cheap and definitely contains alcohol - any port (or Spanish red) in a storm.

But homebrew rocks!!! I always had "issues" with red wine (catch any sediment when you're bottling up, and it's goodnight Vienna), but was a dab hand with the white wine kits. I'm not a connoisseur, you understand, but it worked for me.

In fact, one of my proudest moments: having just finished one bottle, and too pissed to decant the new batch that was ready for bottling, I grabbed the demijohn and a straw... :mrgreen: :smt107
I trust you finished the whole demijohn...?
We're sticking to brewing beer for now although we have had a lot of success with a speedy blackberry and apple wine recipe. Different sort of success with a grapefruit wine that resulted in a lot of people in the river, could be they were trying to find a less toxic drink.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

theraven1979 wrote:Aldi's award winning Tempranillo £3.59 a bottle an ruddy marvellous *hic*

Jim
Gutted that I don't live nearer to an Aldi, they seem to win all the awards. Talking of which I could do with a mince pie and none of that Fortnum and Mason's rubbish either.
Turkey Troter
Rats Rally

Post by Turkey Troter »

Bag Lady wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Aldi's award winning Tempranillo £3.59 a bottle an ruddy marvellous *hic*

Jim
Gutted that I don't live nearer to an Aldi, they seem to win all the awards. Talking of which I could do with a mince pie and none of that Fortnum and Mason's rubbish either.
I think Aldi may be mostly a northern thing, although there is one near where I work (Tottenham), ... The only shop apart from Poundland that didn't get touched in the riots a couple of years back.
Can't you see can't you see that you're rocking the boat?
bill
Rats Rally

Post by bill »

Bag Lady wrote:
I trust you finished the whole demijohn...?
Don't really remember - probably, knowing me!!!
Bag Lady wrote:We're sticking to brewing beer for now although we have had a lot of success with a speedy blackberry and apple wine recipe. Different sort of success with a grapefruit wine that resulted in a lot of people in the river, could be they were trying to find a less toxic drink.
I only tried brewing beer once, just about the time I moved into my flat: bottled it up, and came home from work one night to find 40 popped and overflowing bottles, all over the bedroom floor. Before I had carpets - thankfully... That was over 20 years ago, and since then I've convinced myself that wine is much nicer than beer anyway! Apart from cheap supermarket cider, of course (or, indeed, the improvised pina colada I'm glugging by the half pint this evening - fun fun fun!).

Happy Friday everybody!!!
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Turkey Troter wrote:
Bag Lady wrote:

Jim
I think Aldi may be mostly a northern thing, although there is one near where I work (Tottenham), ... The only shop apart from Poundland that didn't get touched in the riots a couple of years back.
It's not northern - my parents spend half their pension in the one in Southampton (85% wine if I know my dad). You've got me checking, I'm 13 miles from my nearest, might be worth a trip.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

theraven1979 wrote:http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... -best.html

*raises glass*

Jim :smt023
It'll be sold out by now then :grin:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

In my Aldi there's at least 50 bottles there each week. I usually bag about 5 of them :lol:

Jim
Bag Lady wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... -best.html

*raises glass*

Jim :smt023
It'll be sold out by now then :grin:
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

The champagne from Aldi is bloody superb as is the price.

Hats off to Aldi.

This one is under £13. Extraordinary and jolly good.

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.