"Dead Pool" Help required.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

"Dead Pool" Help required.

Post by Alias »

Right, call me a sick fuck, but I've just been talked into signing up for the below and need to submit my list of up to 10 "Celebs" who I think will pop their clogs this year.
Any other sickos out there want to throw in a few names?
(It's just a bit of fun, etc) :twisted:

Some Rules:

"Death sucks. This is something we come to understand as we trundle towards the grave and our all-too-inevitable demise.

But did you know that death can also be fun?

It is a little-known fact that famous people, from celebrities to politicians, sportsmen to criminals, also face a limited time on Earth. It is with this in mind that the Spike Milligan Invitational was established, to bring we bit-part players in the theatre of life closer to the stars. By predicting their time of departure. Oh yes.

You are receiving this email because you are special, unique, one of the six billion little miracles born in the last few decades who have also managed to survive them. And because you have been selected to play a game.

The Spike Milligan Invitational is a variation of the popular 'dead pool' game, where a player selects a team of well-known individuals who they expect not to survive the year.

How do I pick my team?

Each team can contain up to ten members at all times. If a team member dies during the duration of the game, they can be replaced without penalty - you can therefore maintain ten team members at all times, or fewer if you'd rather, though that rather obviously reduces your chances of winning.

Generally speaking, anyone who the rest of the players will have heard of is allowed. In the game's first outing it was decided that anyone with their own entry on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) is allowed. This rule still stands.

Are there any restrictions on who can be selected?

Some people are inadmissible:

People who have been convicted of a crime and sentenced to the death penalty. Anyone who is currently on trial for a crime for which they are likely to be given the death penalty in the future is eligible. Those who have been sentenced but are awaiting the result of an appeal are not eligible.

People who have been diagnosed with a terminal illness. With regards to what is defined as a terminal illness, the adjudicator will have the final say on what counts and what doesn't. People who develop such an illness after having been entered into a team will not be removed from that team unless it is shown that the player knew about the illness in advance.

Certain unscrupulous players have in the past taken to selecting team members who have just suffered a dire accident or sudden illness and who appear to be at death's door, knuckles poised. For this reason, the following rule is now in force: if a team member dies within three days of being selected for a team, the selection will be considered void and the player will have to choose another team member without having scored any points.

In all cases, the adjudicator's decision is final, which means no moaning.

"You do realise you people are sick, right?"

Tragically, refusing to play the game is not living's equivalent of the "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. Sad as it is, you are going to go the same way as everyone else whether you play or you don't, so you might as well have a bit of a laugh at death's expense along the way. Unlike dying, however, playing is not compulsory.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
The Real One!
Rats Rally

Post by The Real One! »

OOOh! I play this with a group of friends but not in the Bill Hicks mode.
We tend to go for the elderly and famous - although I put in someone like Robert Downey Jnr or Pete Doherty on the off chance that there'll be an overdose.
Current favourites are:
Lord Snowdon
Olivia De Haviland
Maureen O'Hara
Humphrey Littleton
Doris Day
Frankie Laine
Prince Philip
Margaret Thatcher
Richard Widmark
Les Paul

None of these are really ill but all seem a bit doddery.

Although it does often happen that being ON the list gives them a charmed life. ....
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Some fine guesses there mate.
I've just been perusing http://www.whosaliveandwhosdead.com/

and had already scribbled down Frankie Laine and Les Paul, so sick minds think a like!

Any more "artistic" guesses, not based on age?

Oh, and one of the rules clearly states:

(Can I kill my own team members?

Anyone proven to be involved in the death of any of their own team members will be immediately disqualified from the game.)

...Before you ask!
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

The Real One!
Rats Rally

Post by The Real One! »

Michael Jackson? Suicide bid?
Charlotte Church? Alcohol poisoning?
Micky Rourke - again drugs related
Zara Phillips - breaks neck falling off horse.

Hugh Cornwell's career? :wink:
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

See, apart from Shug's career, it's kinda hard not ending up turning these things into "wish-lists!"

So far I've got:

Frankie Laine
Patrick Moore
Thatcher
The Chooky Embra
Michael Barrymore....(see what I mean?!)

The Real One!
Rats Rally

Post by The Real One! »

And I think that going through an intermediary and putting a contract out on them will also get you disqualified.

Now, I'm going for Mariah Carey (sadly troubled and one suicide attempt last year) and Pete Doherty as my youngsters on the list. Possibly Ant & Dec as someone PLEASE will put them down in an act of mercy to the public and:
Placido Domingo,
Jane Fonda
Mollie Sugden
Harold Pinter.
Karl Malden.
spacekitten
SHAKESPEARO
Location: That piece of Ireland that forsaketh all understanding

Post by spacekitten »

Hey, I'm not doing too bad at Rotten:

http://deadpool.rotten.com/profiles/26/28/39224.html