HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JIM

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JIM

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Happy 4th Anniversary Jim

I'd like to take this yuletide opportunity to show my personal appreciation for all your hard work. Your site has got better and better over the years and it really is an amazing (and perhaps 'definitive') mine of information for all of us Stranglerphiles.

It was nice to hear of some recent 'official' appreciation (and recognition) of the wider impact B.U.T. is continuing to have, from Mr Hugh Cornwell....no less ...and I think that's great...... It's about bloody time!!!!!.

It's quite hard for me to quantify just how important and how much I have enjoyed these last four years because I know they have helped me generate some memories that I really do not think I could have dragged from my addled old memory banks all on my own.

Jem's account of her (or is that 'his') friend Simon genuinely unlocked the details of an event that had been 'buried' for over 35 years..that in itself was a spectacular highlight for me and has allowed me to recollect my own little buddy Simon Fuller without that gnawing feeling that grated away at me for so long. Like an elusive song title, Simons name had been totally forgotten, but it will never be forgotten again.

As well as being able to indulge myself delving back in to my teenage days with the aid of some fantastic (Unique) photographs, which, amazingly, continue to show up, the site has also given me a new 'up to date' understanding of the effect that this amazing band and their music continues to have on all of us.

I'll always remember my complete surprise when I first stumbled upon B.U.T and found myself saying out loud “fuckinhellllllllllllâ€
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Many thanks Al - I'm always humbled to know that someone with such history as you has stumbled across this site and has enjoyed reflecting on times past. I think your input into this site is invaluable - not many of us were there in those glory years so to speak.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
steveareno

Post by steveareno »

It would be a great gesture if the band played the Torrington again in November 2006 as a thank you to their most famous group of fans. Al & his mates would have to get changed in the Gents again though if it were to be realistic !
I seem to remember a thread earlier this year about live music ceasing @ the Torrington. Maybe the Wilmot Youth Centre could be a suitable alternative venue.

Steveareno.

P.S. All the best for Xmas & New Year to all forum members & their families. Here's to a peaceful world in 2006.
'If there's no reason for your words, then your silence ain't absurd, if there's no reason for your breathing then it just won't do'
daniellameijvis
Rats Rally

Post by daniellameijvis »

I'd like to take this opportunity to show my personal appreciation for your hard work. Your site has got better and better and it really is an amazing good site. My complements for all your hard work.
This is my first year around here and its really amazing hou good it feels
when you have people who sharing the same intrests as I do.
For the first time in 30 years I could talk about The Stanglers and it really felt good.
Have a verry Merry Christmas and a verry good 2006.
DANIELLA
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks and a very Merry Xmas and 2006 to you!

Jim
daniellameijvis wrote:I'd like to take this opportunity to show my personal appreciation for your hard work. Your site has got better and better and it really is an amazing good site. My complements for all your hard work.
This is my first year around here and its really amazing hou good it feels
when you have people who sharing the same intrests as I do.
For the first time in 30 years I could talk about The Stanglers and it really felt good.
Have a verry Merry Christmas and a verry good 2006.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Well done Jimbo for sticking with the B.U.T. site & Forums. Really has gone from strentgh to strength, particularly during the past year.

It's obvious that the forums are getting noticed in more official circles, what with Hugh's involvment lately and the fact that all the webmonkeys from the various official sites post in these forums as well. This can only be a good thing.

Also, it's great to see that forums members are now contributing financially to the site. A major development, which shows people's commitment and possibly the only way of guaranteeing a future for the site.

These forums have now become a vast source of information re-The Stranglers (collectively or individually). Occassionally I take a look at some of the old posts,and there are some very interesting topics, threads and posts throughout the last few years. Some of the debates etc from days gone by do make me smile, I must admit.But they're great to re-visit every once in a while.(A request to newbies at this point: do a search before you start another thread. The subject has usually been covered before and you have the opportunity to ressurect an old thread).

So, imho, this site is such a great info source but not nearly as accessed as it should be. So, our collective 'duty now for the future' is to raise the profile of the 'forums' during the next year.

Of course, I have more personal reasons for being a 'regular' around here. Dear I say it?...I think I've found new friends through these forums over the last few years. Maybe not close friends but at least 'buddies' - some who have added to my enjoyment of gigs/nights out and some who I've never even met. You all know who you are.

Without doubt Jim is responsible for the best unofficial Stranglers site on the web. And Hugh wasn't the first to tell him that btw. I said exactly the same almost 4 years ago judging by the thread I read earlier today! :oops: Do a search and you'll find it! :grin:

Keep up the good work Jim and get that handbag ready for 2006!

Happy christmas - war is over- for now!

:lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Awww put yer handbag down and give us a big hug! :lol:

Cheers

Jim
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Awwww remember the love last year peeps?

Jim
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

B.U.T is 5 years old?, it'll be going to school next term then.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
hangingaround
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by hangingaround »

I have only been here a few months but have learnt so much about the Stranglers and its followers.

All down to Jim and the posters here that I can preach the Gospel of the Meninblack to others!
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

It was great to find the Forums and I was staggered not to have found them earlier.

I take my hat off to Jim for his patience and dedication and I too wish to express my thanks to you Jimbo for having created and maintained this wonderful series of Stranglers anorak related corridors. There is nowhere better to be lost, entertained and enlightened.

As to The Torrington and as Al and others have mentioned, she is sadly now a Starbucks with a restaurant at the back which used to be the venue and where the IV did their thing. It is very sad but memories have to be stronger than concrete and wanker interior designers.

Thank you again Jim. It is very special here; very special indeed.

Paul
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Alan A Hillier

Post by Alan A Hillier »

"It is very special ...........very special indeed"

It really is Jim....................I stick by every word that I wrote back then......................but then................I always do

Paul you have E Mail mate

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND