Telephone Fraud - A warning for all members

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Telephone Fraud - A warning for all members

Post by Mad Hatter »

There have been reports of automated telephone calls being made from a company who informs you that you have won a free holiday. This is a fraud.

If you receive one of these calls, upon answering the telephone you will hear a recorded message congratulating you on winning an all expenses trip to an exotic location. You will then be asked to press 9 to hear further details. If you press 9 you will be connected to a premium rate line that costs approximately £20 per minute. Even if you disconnect immediately, it will remain connected for a minimum of 5 minutes costing around £100. The final part of the call involves you being asked to key in your postcode and house number, which has other serious consequences.

After a further 2 minutes you will receive a message informing you that you are not one of the lucky winners. The total bill by then will be £100. Since the calls are originating from outside the UK, BT and other telephone companies are left relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to HANG UP before the message prompts you to dial 9, even safer HANG UP on any unsolicited 'free offer calls'.

This applies to home and work telephones, landlines and mobiles.

You have been warned!
the_toiler_on_the_tees
SHAKESPEARO

Post by the_toiler_on_the_tees »

There have been reports of automated telephone calls being made from a company who informs you that you have won a free holiday. This is a fraud.
arnt they all, basically, frauds?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

You get nothing for free!

Also worth mentioning are the emails going round from your bank requesting that you clarify your login details - Do not fill this in - Always contact your bank directly if you receive any requesting emails from them. Recently got one from "Paypal".

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

the_toiler_on_the_tees wrote:
arnt they all, basically, frauds?
Yes, but this one fleeces you at £100 a go!
the_toiler_on_the_tees
SHAKESPEARO

Yeah i see your point, but do people actually believe theyve won a no strings 2 week hols? specially when its a stephen hawking voice on the other end?

I have to laugh this indian geezer rings me almost every day and says "hello my name is andrew smith from orange" and im like "it blatantly isnt your name mate"

:?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Apparantly they now send graduates out to India to tell them what`s been happening in Corrie recently and other such smalltalk bollocks

Jim
the_toiler_on_the_tees
SHAKESPEARO

:? fair enough they ring you and want to sell you stuff coz they want to make lotsa money, but telling the call centre guys and girls out in india or where ever to change their names to english sounding ones (especially when they have thick asian accents) is absurd and pretty patronising really.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

I'm with TPS.
Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.
£200 fine for each occurance seemingly.

If someone does slip through the net, a load of abuse usually works a treat, well it makes me feel better anyway. :twisted:
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I`m with TPS too and the postal equivalent - doesn`t always work though.

Jim

Toiler On The Sea wrote:I'm with TPS.
Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.
£200 fine for each occurance seemingly.

If someone does slip through the net, a load of abuse usually works a treat, well it makes me feel better anyway. :twisted:
kinski
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kinski »

These are real - I've received 3 of these automated calls - with "press 9 for details" at home and at work too.
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

yep i have recieved loads of the bankscam emails --phony bank says we require you to confirm info ...the el cheapo holiday scam its only 50p (or in our case ($1) for three nights at a blah blah resort....yeah whatever...your free three day day vacation translates into 2.9 days under hot blinding lights with people yelling and beating you until you buy a timeshare...these types are boring though...

my faves are the nigerian bank scam types - they are actually fun for the whole family - hello mr jackson we are contacting you because one ignacius t-bag c. wolverine-jackson passed away recently with no knowm next of kin, and you are believed to be the eligble heir to (shitload of money) please contact justice winston c. cornball to confirm blah blah...

I have in the past instructed them to contact my attorney Justice J. Burnel at his offices at Wimbledon Common...urge similar efforts....
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...