Punk in the 1970s - I'm a lazy student, but I need your help

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alana
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Alana »

I don't know if James has mentioned this or if it's in the right place, but you can move it wherever later.

I have to do an essay on a political or social movement of my choice. I thought it'd be good to do it on punk, there is one book in my university library on the subject and google yields about a million pages of utter shit.

So, I was wondering if any of you lovely people could help me and just make lists of stuff that happened that was important to punk as a social movement, any thoughts on why people became punks, any books that would be any good, anything you want to contribute really and if you really want apply it some sociological theory.

As much as I'd like to do a musical review of it all, I have to stay within the social side of it all, but I'd be interested to read about anything to do with it really.

Thank you!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Significant events around the time of punk I guess - High unemployment? "Labour Isn`t Working"? etc? What the fuck do I know I was only 2 at the time. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Jim (also known as James) :D
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Alana
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Alana »

Specific events would be quite helpful.

You know how like the mods and rockers went down to Brighton? I need the same sort of thing but with punks instead. Stuff that involved the media getting all upset is good
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

What`s the purpose of the essay? Is it to see what effects punk had on society?

Jim
Alana
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Alana »

Well it's to give a general descriptive outline of what was going on, major events, who was doing it, why they were doing it - all relating it to some sort of theory (like moral panics, self fulfilling prophecies, youth culture)

Ooh and if I can relate it to what else was going on at the time.

The point of it, is pretty much whatever I want it to be (whatever is easiest) because I write the essay title.
Rich
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rich »

Didn't Mr Buckley mention a few books written about the punk movement in the "afterword" of 'No Mercy'? Anyone got a copy to hand? If not I'll look it up later.

Rich.
Black and White becomes........
Alana
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Alana »

Yes there is (found James' copy) thank you!
Rich
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rich »

Jim, are you and James one and the same? This is all very confusing.

Rich.
Black and White becomes........
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yep - Jim, James, Jamie, Boo, wanker are all names I`m familiar with

Thanks Rich! - Anyone else help out - Crass? Al?

Jim
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Two events spring to mind in 1977:

The Bill Grundy inteview when the Pistols called him a dirty fucking wanker, is well documented on the web I'm sure.

Make of it what you will... the beginning of the end of prissy TV? Or a well executed publicity stunt?

The banning of God Save The Queen and the band playing it on a barge in the Thames during the jubilee celebrations...

The "punk" movement was a con on the one hand (ask Malcolm McClaren and Johhny Lydon) but inspired the "kids" to pick up a guitar and learn three chords.

It was just any means of pissing off your parents.

I remember being driven down Finchley Road with my parents (I was 10 at the time) and seeing the poster for Never Mind The Bollocks in the window of a record shop. Liberal minded people like my folks thought it was funny... the shop obviously got complaints as on the way back they masked out the word bollocks...

Those were the days.

Also, as a reference, watch 24 Hour Party People!
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

"England's Dreaming" by Jon Savage is about as good a book about punk as you can get (despite his well known elimination of the contribution played by The Stranglers). It's probably your best starting point. "As it says on the tin..."

The definitive history of the punk movement in England explores the cultural roots of this musical and social phenomena, demonstrating that socio-economic factors were primarilly responsible for spawning the movement.

I mine of information and further reading. Recommended!
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

Agree with the "England's Dreaming" reference - worth a read.

Things to look at...
1) Massive social polarisation pre-dating the early emergence of punk...e.g. 72 and 74 huge miners strikes, tories under Edward Heath go to the polls on the mantra of "who governs britain" after a massive miners strike in 74 has led to blackouts across the country and a three day work week for many industries. The answer to "who governs ?" in the election is "not the tories" they lose and labour are elected under Jim Callaghan.

2) Labour elected on a manifesto of getting britain back to work - they don't - unemployment crosses the Million mark for the first time in late 75 -early 76. Hidden in the stats is that youth unemployment is double or triple the official rate.

3) Polarisation sees the National Front Nazis rising in prominence in local council elections...at the same time - huge fights break out in 76 77 between the Anti Nazi League and the NF. Check out the battle of lewisham for an indication of how tense things were.

Disillusionment and radicalisation are the order of the day...but distrust dominates most - labour didn't deliver...the tories fucked things up in the first place...

on the nuclear arms front the CND is at the high point of its popularity after the supposedly anti-nukes labour party commits a gazzzillion pounds to the expansion of the Polaris Nuclear program - despite having previously committed to kill it. Ireland is fucking mess...with no apparent solution..

4) Disco...the predominant crap in music prior to punk was still disco, abba and hold over hippie shit (ala Pink Floyd etc).

The sense was one of going to hell in a handbasket and ABBA and Cliff Richard dominated the charts.....

:( So...people made some really good music instead.
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...