What are you reading at the moment?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

good one for those interested in paranormal stuff

been reading a bit of Zecharia Sitchin (12th planet, When Time Began, Wars of Gods and Men)
very interesting, was thinking i should send JB a copy of 12th planet but i guess he knows this stuff already
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

theraven1979 wrote:At Xmas I got the following punk goodies:-

Steve Diggle
Yeah pretty interesting. Talks about his life in Buzzcocks. Quite amusing to hear him chatting about Pete being very camp and him being a bit of a lad. Also mentions the wrist breaking incident that put him out of action for the 3 Men & Black tour - Was a lot more serious than I thought (the injury not the book). However like Steve says the point of the book was to show people another side to Buzzcocks and to keep him occupied whilst he was recovering. You can`t help but want him to do a full blown autobiography

The Fall
Reading this at the moment. Got as far as 1980. Talks in depth about the line up changes the albums and the touring. Really interesting however Mark E Smith refused to get involved so all quotes are from old magazine articles.

SLF - Song By Song
Bit miffed to see this outselling Hugh`s song by song on Amazon. In the process of reading this at the moment. No where near as good as Hugh`s book as the structure is not about each song (as the title suggests) more an interview style chat with Jake about SLF over the years. Quite a slim book. Some interesting bits but doesn`t set the world alight.

Complete Clash
Yet to read - looks very nerdy and in-depth. Great! :p

Jim
I got the SLF book for xmas. I've already read it and it's very good but not as good The Song By Song one with Hugh.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

"Safety First" - about the rise of New Labour from the ashes of the 83 election campaign, Kinnock's clashes with Militant, the John Smith years, and the Blair-Brown nexus ... an interresting time to read this book, given that this could well be Blair's last full year as PM!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....8986836

cassini
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

evonx wrote:
good one for those interested in paranormal stuff
been reading a bit of Zecharia Sitchin (12th planet, When Time Began, Wars of Gods and Men)
very interesting, was thinking i should send JB a copy of 12th planet but i guess he knows this stuff already
Never read any Sitchin before but having more than one book on the go at the moment means I shall fold fire before getting anymore for the time being! Just finished Song By Song so that's one down at least!

Wilson is a rather unique writer in my book and an interesting thinker. He always indulges his love of philosophy by linking great philosophers musings into his work. The result is some kinda blueprint for life. Great escapism for my money. Another one he wrote was 'The Occult' which is a big read but well worth it. One gets a life affirming buzz from reading it. Very positive.

All his work has an underlying theme to it and is explained quite well in this exert from a website dedicated to him:

" Along with psychologists such as Dr. Abraham Maslow, Wilson has studied the lives of healthy individuals and discovered that they constantly have peak experiences. For me, this contention is supported not only by my own personal experience (who isn't occasionally thrown into peak experience by a great piece of music?) but by countless works of literature: James Joyce describes what is clearly a peak experience at the moment when Stephen Dedalus discovers that he wants to be an artist in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man; Nietzsche details the characteristics of such an experience in his description of inspiration in Ecce Homo; William Butler Yeats is swept up into one in a cafe in " "; Dr. Albert Hofmann, the inventor of LSD, describes a peak experience which he had as a child in his book LSD: My Problem Child (his only precedent for the psychedelic experience); the novels of Ernst Juenger are filled with such moments.

During these moments, the world seems renewed, revealing itself to be infinitely complex and beautiful in all its aspects. Sights which have been viewed a thousand times before suddenly seem rediscovered as if for the first time; the endless bounds of possibility open before oneself; everything is suddenly understood as being part of the song of the universe and one is filled with the desire to experience everything, building one's own bar of the music to a glorious crescendo. One greets the world with a child-like sense of wonderment. Routines and neuroses are banished and objects become categories no longer...a chair or a tree, for instance, but regain their existence in your eyes as real things with unique and complex characteristics. Nothing can be done wrong since all is understood, and the air seems to become filled with an almost visible energy which every sense organ can feel washing over you. (The best musical analogy I have ever discovered for this experience is the mad overture to Wagner's Tannhauser - a slow, quiet build, gradually going into a wild frenzy of barely controlled energy, until finally subsiding into a dream-like peace with all that exists.) "

Pretty heavy but definately interesting. You either get drawn in or sit by and scoff. Love it or hate it. A bit like Marmite! :D

You can read more of an introduction to Wilsons work here: A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO COLIN WILSON'S THOUGHT by John Morgan.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to find out Dave reads his stuff.

:cool:[/color]
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
helgy
Ugly
Ugly

Post by helgy »

I have the first three sitchin books , one of the few people alive who can read the sumerian tablets , if you are interested in ancient history andrew collins ashes to angels.
it's about alot of what sitchin goes into with out the alien intervention . who the watchers really were .
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Never knew Lisa Riley was Marc Riley (aka Lard) sister

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Helen
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Helen »

I've been trying to get me head around Von Daniken - "Chariots of the Gods", fascinating stuff, helps me sleep! :(

What drugs is that guy on?

Helen
raveninblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by raveninblack »

C r a s s ! wrote::cool:

Did you know that naughty dancing fool Bez's ol man is a cozzer?
[/quote]
He was not the only Happy Monday with a copper in the family.....

Paul " knobhead" Davis...keyboard player, his dad was a very high up Inspector in the GMP training dept.
just hanging around
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Helen wrote:I've been trying to get me head around Von Daniken - "Chariots of the Gods", fascinating stuff, helps me sleep! :(

Helen
LSD I think.

I love that book. I really hope he's right. :blues:
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
gazincumbria
Rats Rally

Post by gazincumbria »

theraven1979 wrote:
gazincumbria wrote:'Everything-a book about Manic Street Preachers' Simon Price;One of the best music biographies I've read

I didn`t think that much too it. I need to re-read I guess. Mind you I don`t think much to Simon Price - I met him at the Cardiff 96 gig and he looked a right twat.

Jim
I liked it because it wasn't as 'fawning' as some of the other books on the Manics I've read,he handled Richey Edwards' Disappearance without being too dramatic.He does look a twat though! He should lay off the Fur coats!

'Wicked Beyond Belief' is well worth a read;there's a lot of infomation in it that is revealed for the first time(It's by Michael Bilton not,Boulton!)

Gaz
"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else"
Helen
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Helen »

Dom P wrote:
Helen wrote:I've been trying to get me head around Von Daniken - "Chariots of the Gods", fascinating stuff, helps me sleep! :(

Helen

LSD I think.

I love that book. I really hope he's right. :blues:
Me too. Must admit it seems slightly more believable than another more commonly known version of events Dom.

Helen
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

If you find yourself killing time sheltering from the rain by browsing the shelves of Borders, Ottakers or Waterstones, I can recommend you have a search for a book by music journalist Tim Lott.

"Rumours of a Hurricane" has some fascinating attention to detail. I've never heard descriptives as good as his. Very influential. 9/10

:p

C R A S S
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.