Concert for George - On T.V tonight

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Alan A Hillier »

I had never seen this concert before.

The concert for George shown tonight made me realize that we do this kind of tribute better than anyone, anywhere in the world. George's son Dhani could not look and act more like his old man (naturally) if he tried.

The thoughtful, easy and delicate interpretations of George Harrison's songs were stunning and showed how well crafted, honest and complex they have always been.

'Something' was brilliant. The (Obligatory) appearance of Paul McCartney especially with surviving Beatle Ringo on stage with him only reminded me how everyone felt about that incredible band way back then. When you consider the lifespan of the Beatles from 1962 to 1969 it puts ieverything in to perspective, the awesome creativity that existed is still unsurpassed. Seven years, that's all it was.

Geoff Lynne with his unfeasible hairdo was a constant on stage and 'my sweet lord' with the brilliant Billy Preston on lead vocal was perfect. As you all know Preston was the Beatles keyboard player and was present at some incredible moments in their recording career.

The Python thing with Tom Hanks as a Canadian Mountie was unmissable and showed that there is deep-seated respect for George and his lifelong desire to prove that the 'serious' Beatle really did have a sense of humor.

'I'll see you in my dreams' sang by Joe Brown nearly brought a tear to my eye as I saw the genuine deference paid by Paul McCartney to Joe Brown. With nothing more explicit than a respectful glance at this old stager McCartney spoke volumes about the structure of things. He sat at the side of the stage and took a back seat..... Not in reverence to someone who had surpassed his own incredible career.......but merely to someone who he genuinely (and quite rightly) respected.

At times the stage was awash with some serious survivors of the S.S Drugs and booze. People who have known the depths of total despair whilst still functioning amongst their wild, significant and hugely successful Hey days, most I might add, are looking better than ever........It made me wonder what has to happen to a person to truly understand what it means to survive

Cheesy it wasn't

It made me remember this.......................

"Arrive without traveling.....see all with out looking, do all without doing"

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

With editing in mind - I thought Macca seemed subdued, don't you think?
Great gig, I missed the start, but I was well impressed with all of the players, particularly Slowhand and Anoushka Shankhar, who amazed me.

C R A S S :D
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Kept flicking in between this and The Godfather. Thought the gig would be cheese factor 10 but actually it weren`t bad at all.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

I missed it completely... wasn't the kind of thing I would expect myself to enjoy!

If they repeat it I'll look out for it.
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Suprised I actually enjoyed it too. Thought Ringo was great when he sang a couple and you're quite right about George's son - spooky is too short a word to describe the similarities. :O
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Organ Grinder wrote:Suprised I actually enjoyed it too. Thought Ringo was great when he sang a couple and you're quite right about George's son - spooky is too short a word to describe the similarities. :O
I make you right about Ringo Grind.

Although he has that unmistakable ('This is Ringo singing Folks') voice, he was right on the money with his vocal pitching. You being a museo grind would have spotted that stright away and that is down to sheer professionalism. He knows he's no singer but what he did do (And still does obviously) is deliver his songs in tune and with personality.....

Your right about young Harrison too.........spooktacular

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND