Gigs best worst loudest most seen etc.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Gigs best worst loudest most seen etc.

Post by Halifax Linda »

Husband said he had seen this on Facebook.
So thought we could share.
Interesting. As we can’t go to any at moment.
Also first gig you went to.
My first and most seen Gary Numan.
Marillion lots times.
Loudest Nine inch Nails.
No really bad gigs as in walked out.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Gigs best worst loudest most seen etc.

Post by StanInBlack »

Halifax Linda wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 13:44 My first and most seen Gary Numan.
Did you see him on the Teletour? Those gigs were meant to have been room-shakingly loud.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Halifax Linda wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 13:44 Husband said he had seen this on Facebook.
So thought we could share.
Interesting. As we can’t go to any at moment.
Also first gig you went to.
My first and most seen Gary Numan.
Marillion lots times.
Loudest Nine inch Nails.
No really bad gigs as in walked out.
First: Guilfest 2002 including Stranglers if that counts, or first non-festival gig was The Damned at Guildford Civic in December 2002.
Most: Stranglers - 15 times i think.
Best: in general probably the Damned, but also was very impressed by Ultravox in 2009.
Worst: Seen some terrible support acts in my time but most disappointing headline act was probably the 2011 incarnation of Pop Will Eat Itself.
Loudest: Worst hearing loss probably after some Stranglers gigs or The Early Years due to their use of feedback.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

I did see Numan on Teletour.
It was very loud atmosphere fantastic.
But didn’t think all that loud at the time though.
But I was much younger and didn’t care!!!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

First :: The Stranglers - Bradford St. George’s Hall, 27th November 1981
Most :: The Stranglers - 71 times
Best :: The Stranglers
Worst :: Many but I’ll go for Alien Sex Fiend @ Dracfest ‘97
Loudest :: MOTÖRHEAD! Every gig of theirs I’ve been too since 1981 :: Everything Louder Than Everything Else! Ear damage for at least 2 days after gigs) Lemmy, Eddie & Philthy all sadly missed :(
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

First : Mud, a little after their teenybopper heyday but still somewhere in those magnificent, lost 70s
Most : Joanna Newsom
Best : Joanna Newsom, Brussels in the 2010s, no band just Joanna and harp and me standing right at the stage edge - very heaven, most mesmerising performer Aldous Harding
Worst : Stranglers 10 Tour Manc Apollo - probably wasn't that bad, just felt flat and falling short of expectations. Best Stranglers Manc Apollo 79 or Preston Dreamtime Tour. Most bands taking your money do tend to put the effort in
Loudest: They're all loud when you're young, before yer audio waves get clipped
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

First- Uncannily for this thread, it was Numan's Teletour at the Glasgow Apollo in 1980. Couldn't say
if it was overly loud as I had nothing at that stage to compare it to. Remember it for the new song
he did (Stories ) and him driving around in a customised and souped up C5.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gary-num ... 7c903.html

Most- The Stranglers, from MIB Tour 81 to Back On The Tracks 2019, plus Festivals etc

Loudest- The Shamen (when they were a 5 piece Aberdonian psych mob) at Fury Murrays in March
1988. Must have been where I was stood, which was patently right in front of a sonic attack inducing sound
wave that blasted my hair back like a Gordon Ramsey tongue lashing, made me near shit maself and left me deaf
for days afterwards. Special mention also to that JokerFace gig at the Pandora where we kept getting told to
TURNITDOWN!!!

Best- I'll always remember Spear Of Destiny (World Service Tour 84) at Strathclyde University
and the Sisters of Mercy (Tune In Turn On Burn Out Tour) also at Strathclyde Uni in 1985 being particularly good.
My favourite Stranglers gig was probly MIB
https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/ ... &start=120
or Feline tours at the Glasgow Apollo
http://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/v ... ine+Groovy
and I'm happy I got to see Tom Waits' Glitter and Doom Tour in Edinburgh, 2008. I got to see most of my old time heroes
(Bowie, Neil Young, Dylan, but sadly not Lou (see below).

Regrets (New Category)- I will always regret not going to the Velvets reunion gig in Edinburgh in '93,
and I had chances to see The Jam, Clash, Dead Kennedys, Birthday Party and Lenny Cohen, all of which I
turned down for silly reasons, and to my eternal chagrin.

Worst- Dunno really, that's a hard one, I've seen a shed load of gigs over the last 4 decades, and I've now got pretty
crap recall, so Ive obviously wiped some from the old memory banks. As I've also mentioned before, one of my least enjoyable
Mk1 gigs was the Aural Sculpture one at the Glasgow Apollo, but that was most probly due to my own perception of the band's
laissez-faire/laid back attitude and rehearsal shy fuck ups, the dread horn section and the fact that I had dragged a mate and my
girl friend along for their first Strangs experience and wanted the band to blow them away, which they never did.
Oh wait, I've just recalled another, greater repressed memory; the Nolans anyone? *shiver*
https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/ ... o&start=36
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

First: Stranglers, Manchester Apollo February 1983 on the Feline tour. (ETA or it might actually be either Howard Jones or the Thompson Twins at the NEC. I saw both of these, a couple of days apart, and I don't recall when it was. I looked on concertarchive.org and it doesn't mention either act playing at the NEC s far as I could tell.)

Most: Stranglers, don't know how many times, not as many as lots of people.

Best: I can't pick one Stranglers gig from another, now. At the time I saw them, I might have been able to. It would have been one of them, though.

Worst: Shriekback, supporting The Thompson Twins at the NEC. I forget the year, and a look on a web site didn't help. There's even a chance that I saw them before the first Stranglers gig. But anyway, Shriekback were terrible. TT were good, actually, though there were loads of them on stage.

Loudest: Depends on where you stand. I recall a mate commenting about how loud it was when we went to the Stranglers at Liverpool Royal Court, when they did "Midnight Summer Dream" you could feel the balcony resonating with the low notes in the intro. He was used to seeing big acts in stadiums, and was surprised how loud it was.

I haven't got much in the way of local venues any more, so if I'm going to travel I need an idea that it's going to be worth it, hence I tend to only travel to Stranglers gigs, and not all that far even then. My local venue did have SLF, Buzzcocks, The Damned and a few others in the early 2000s, which I enjoyed a lot. Actually maybe the Buzzcocks gig would be the loudest, or maybe that's the "poorest sound quality" that just made it sound loud. Venue has closed down for redevelopment, though it's just been left derelict really.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

droopsnoot wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 14:42 ... Thompson Twins at the NEC. I saw both of these, a couple of days apart, and I don't recall when it was. I looked on concertarchive.org and it doesn't mention either act playing at the NEC s far as I could tell.)

Good site to check here:
https://www.setlist.fm/search?page=17&q ... pson+twins
(To my shame I saw them at the Glasgow Apollo in 84 :oops: )
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

MiB81 wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 16:37 Good site to check here:
https://www.setlist.fm/search?page=17&q ... pson+twins
(To my shame I saw them at the Glasgow Apollo in 84 :oops: )
Cheers - it seems to have been December 1984. I enjoyed it - very different from a Stranglers gig (which I hadn't seen that many of at the time), what with all the coloured lights and stuff, but a good gig, if that's the right word for it. I do remember trouble in the crowd though - but instead of people kicking off, it was young girls shrieking.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

So good catching people’s memories and experiences!
Mib81 do you still catch Numan now on tour?
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

My first gig I actually wanted to go to was OMD. But the first I went to was a soul band called Maize. Just because my Dad had a credit card and my mate wanted to go so he got me to get the tickets. We was only fourteen and it was bloody awful! So that was first and worst.

The loudest was Cast. They was far too loud in a small venue in Charing Cross Road. My ears were in pain after.

Last gig was The X Ambassadors because my son likes them so I took him.

My favourite gigs are the Stranglers. I've enjoyed them all really. I thought they were brilliant at Brixton in January 2019. Seeing them for the first time at Brixton in 1990 with Hugh was special too.