Valencia gig

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Valencia gig

Post by Paul »

I didn't want to post this on the other threads, as it may have been inappropriate, but was just wondering if anyone else from here is contemplating going to the gig in Valencia in June.
Not so much to arrange a meet up or anything, but more to exchange information such as tourist info, transport links, any tips on the local stuff, gig info etc.
I'm seriously considering going to this one, with my wife, and probably tying it into a visit to Benidorm to make a week of it.
I've been to Benidorm over 50 times and travelled all around the costa blanca, but never been to Valencia, which I've heard is a great city and the gig itself features Mark Almond and O.M.D. besides the stranglers. I quite like O.M.D. and I have heard that Mark Almond is good live, so for around 60 Euros it seems like a good idea.
It'll take a fair bit of planning though, there are many flight options and variations of what a trip could entail, so If anyone else is interested in going or has any tips or advice on Valencia or the gig itself, please post on this thread and if so, I’ll put down my own info on here - if anyone is interested
:smt006
....near the nearside window.....
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Valencia gig

Post by pigeon »

I'm planning on going to this. Never been to Valencia before, so i am looking to spend 5 or so day's there. Probably going by myself cos i'm billy no mates on these occasions :lol:. I have looked at what's to offer for tourists, will definley be going to the science museum, & the "under water" resturent.Might try and take the train to Barcelona for the day.
Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Paul »

We'll be there from Wednesday to Saturday, flights booked for going out and got tickets but nothing else sorted yet.
I put a message on Valencia's tripadvisor forum for some general advice and got this reply:-

"For Valencia:
Downtown Valencia is the Plaza del Ayuntamiento. The main shopping area is here, together with many restaurants. If one stays near this place, most of the city center is walkable. Use Booking.com to screen hotels and apartments. In the District box, choose Ciutat Vella, Eixample or Extramurs.
Best Sights:
1. Oceanographic (the best aquarium in Spain)
2. Bioparc (one of the best zoos in Spain)
3. Cathedral and Basilica of the Virgin of the Helpless
4. City of Arts and Sciences
5. Silk Exchange - La Lonja de la Seda
6. Palacio del Marques de Dos Agues - This is the National Ceramics Museum.
7. Bellas Artes Museum
Good Restaurants:
1. Restaurante Navarro Valencia (Calle del Arzobispo Mayoral, 5 – Tel: 963-529-623) is one of the best restaurants downtown. However you need a reservation because it is so popular.
2. Casa Roberto (Calle Maestro Gozalbo, 19 - Tel: 963-951-361).
The most important shopping streets are Colon, Don Juan de Austria, Poeta Querol, Jorge Juan, Cirilo Amoros and La Paz. The Malvarossa and Cabanyal districts may not be safe at night."

I'm just beginning to suss a few things out and it seems like the bullring (venue) is only a few minutes from the main bus terminus with plenty of hotels within walking distance from the venue. also, there is a metro from the airport to central Valencia, so transport links seem good, there is plenty of stuff on the Valencia forum here - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum ... untry.html

as for the gig, I've emailed the organisers and although they can't confirm the exact itinerary yet, it seem like the doors open around 5.30pm, where you are issued a wristband on entry, and can then come and go in and out of the venue at will.

If I find anything out in the next few weeks that may be of some use, I'll post on here. it should be interesting :smt006
....near the nearside window.....
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

I did read that a 'street' Festival in Valencia was cancelled due to Coronavirus and football games are being played behind closed doors. Wonder if the contagion spreads will this gig go ahead?
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Best "under water" resturent I ever went to was in Flourence.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.