RIP Pete Shelley

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: RIP Pete Shelley

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Always my faves along with The Stranglers, Pistols, Clash, Damned, Jam.
Pete & The Buzzcocks always put on great shows, will be sadly missed, and as TBC sez Pete & The Buzzcocks were/are the soundtrack to my youth & my life too.
R.I.P.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well it's sad when anyone dies.But particularly at such a young age for the modern day.But of course you are affected more if you know them or are

a fan of someones music,there have been sad losses of musical icons in recent years,but the sad untimely death of Pete Shelley has hit me hard.

The Buzzcocks were always my joint second fav band along with "The Damned","Spear" and "TOH",in fact other than The Stranglers i have every studio

release of "The Buzzcocks" and "Homosapien" as well.There was never a shit Buzzcocks album,some were better than others of course.But Pete Shelley

just did Punk his own way,he didn't need to be macho he was just himself with the slightly camp vocal style etc,but he was just a fine songwriter and

wrote so many gems that you can'a list with humour and observations of life,along with his guitar which merged together with Steve Diggle in a pretty

unique way,some songs they were playing lead,other rhythm.You could say that the Buzzcocks were possibly the only Punk band to stay true to their

principles,certainly a no frills,no bullshit approach to their live gigs was their mantra,a buzz of distortion and speed (not the drugs,maybe in earlier days).

We take life for granted,so it shows with the loss of Pete Shelley not to do that,as you never know whats round the next corner.I just thought that I

would be seeing The Buzzcocks for some years to come,thank god i saw them in Belgium last year supporting The Stranglers,once again a fast no frills

performance of distortion and energy.I will always remember sitting with Pete and Steve outside a Brasserie on route to gig,it was afternoon and there

were at least 6 empty bottles of a local beer called Spartacus with 6.5 percent volume,I thought great,still living the rock and roll lifestyle over 60

years old,I still have a bottle of that beer in fridge,now may be time to drink it and raise a toast to a unique,very talented songwriter and guitar

player,who influenced countless bands.I am still very sad but glad I got to see them live and enjoy their music,also Pete was a very nice bloke with

totally genuine.Of course the music lives on and we all have the memories,thank's Pete for all the enjoyment you gave to me and others with your

brilliant music R..I.P..The music lives on.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

well I'd never really gotten into the buzzcocks, not sure why obviously enjoyed the songs I did hear. I guess its never too late though so now I might look up a few albums...

Only saw them live once, along with The Fall supporting them which was maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

Very sad for yet another creator from that era to go before time....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

genuine shock at this news,actually thought he was a bit younger than 63
bloody hell,time and tide waits for no man
See You At The Bar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Buzzcocks will continue according to Mr Diggle.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

theraven1979 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 18:48 Buzzcocks will continue according to Mr Diggle.

Buzzcocks are finished according to me
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

ThruBeingCool wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 02:42
theraven1979 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 18:48 Buzzcocks will continue according to Mr Diggle.

Quite. But who’s gonna replace Pete? Nobody I woulda thought but it happened to our fave band didn’t it?
Unless It’s gonna be a three piece with Diggle doing all the singing? or with an added guitar player?
I’ll do it.
8)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

To be fair I'd gladly see them if it was Devoto on vocals

Jim
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

theraven1979 wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 17:52 To be fair I'd gladly see them if it was Devoto on vocals

Jim
Good idea Mr Jim. Btw I was in a shop in Leeds not long ago and there was a bald bloke talking to the guy on the checkout, I thought I’ve seen that face somewhere before but could not think where. About a year! later I finally realised it was Devoto! I also heard later that he was actually living in Leeds.
8)
noiseannoys
Down In The Sewer

Post by noiseannoys »

ThruBeingCool wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 02:42

Spot on TBC!
The idea of a Shelley-less Buzzcocks is totally unacceptable.
I should know..I saw Flag of Convenience back in the 80’s!

I shall be attending the RaH show, where hopefully they’ll give him a good send off and call it a day there.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Don't mind some of the Flag Of Convenience. That said I never saw them live.

Jim
noiseannoys
Down In The Sewer

Post by noiseannoys »

Me too actually Jim..I was being a little flippant.
Saw them many times in the mid to late 80’s, it was great to see them at Dingwalls whilst John Maher was still in the band.

I feel the idea of continuing under Buzzcocks name without Pete is a very bad idea.
I have all of Diggles solo albums as well and there are some great tunes in there so feel he should focus on bringing that stuff to a wider audience and live, if he wants, throw in his Buzzcocks songs as well..I’d go to see that.

He’s just blocked me on Twitter for suggesting the same thing which I feel is rather poor form but there you have it.