I’m a Punk/New Waver ... Get Me Out Of Here!

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

I’m a Punk/New Waver ... Get Me Out Of Here!

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Firstly Ok I do sincerely apologise and I know I shouldn’t mention this horrendous programme on this forum but I’ve just noticed it’s back on TV again and it got me thinking......
So who should go in? I don’t know how many they send in there but lets say, we select 12?

People who are alive only please and give your reasons why you think they should go in there too. Just a bit of fun, not to be taken seriously, but you can if you like! Get posting! let’s have a laugh and hopefully a few agreements and plenty of disagreements, enjoy! Cheers.

1 & 2.
OK look It’s just gotta be Hugh & JJ hasn’t it?
I would love to see them make up, they were once like brothers, lotsa love sadly lost but still capable of rekindling perhaps? if that’s the correct word?

John Lydon/Rotten
He’s got a right gob on him has Mr Rotten and I do find him somewhat quite unpleasant and annoying at times but mostly when he’s on form and funny, he can be immensely entertaining. I would also really like to hear his thoughts on The Stranglers back then and now too.

Steve Jones
He’s hilarious (check out his Instagram thingy website) and I love to listen to his radio show ‘Jonesy’s Jukebox’, if you’ve not already had the pleasure of hearing it then please do check it out, available on podcast or YouTube, he’s had some great guests on his show including our very own Hugh. It would be funny watching Steve going around the camp nicking stuff off the fellow punk/ New Wavers, but I’m sure he doesn’t do that type of thing anymore! He also once claimed on his radio show that Paul Simonon ’Chinned’ JJ at Dingwalls and that JJ just stood there and did nothing! Jonesy also said he enjoyed seeing JJ getting chinned. Btw this podcast doesn’t seem to be available anymore and it was the one where Hugh came to visit Steve in the studio, I think this was when Hugh was promoting Hoover Dam?
Same with John Lydon I would also really like to hear his thoughts on The Stranglers back then and now too. I know Steve is actually a bit of a fan as he says so in his Autobiography and he plays quite a lot of early Stranglers songs on his radio show.

Btw If anyone would like this Podcast with Hugh on Steve’s Radio Show then just PM me (Audio Only, not filmed)

Captain Sensible
A funny and very likeable chap. Like to think he could bring in his crazy costumes and treat them all to ‘Happy Talk’ every morning to get everybody up awake and having a boogie! He would drive everyone crazy! Great!

Jaz Coleman
Very high IQ apparently :: 190?!, wtf? he would make for some very interesting conversations I’m sure. A bit crackers perhaps? or just eccentric? but that makes him more interesting IMHO, but sometimes I get the impression from him that he’s talking a lot of bollocks half of the time, actually someone on this very forum said the very same thing.

Henry Rollins
Let’s stick an American in there, I don’t really like his music but do find him and his ‘Spoken Word’ gigs on YouTube entertaining, intelligent and interesting, he’s not afraid to speak his mind, he has said some very unpleasant things about fellow rock stars such as Sting and even insulted Stings Wife, not nice. He also has a reputation as being quite a tough guy, it would be very interesting to see how he got along with JJ. I don’t know if Rollins is into The Stranglers or knows their history but I think Rollins would respect JJ but still speak his mind and probably upset JJ when he starts slagging off people which he is quite famous for, but not just slagging them off he’s said he’d actually like to kill some of theses rock stars he hates so much and goes into details, Erm....interesting, obviously got some anger issues has Henry.

Paul Simonon
I know he spoke with JJ a few years ago whilst they were out on their Triumph Motorcycles but it would be really interesting to really find out what happened that night at Dingwalls and did Dave Greenfield really hold Rotten up against a van by his throat? lol no that’s gotta be Dagenham Dave RIP. Like to hear em both talk about Triumph motorcycles for all us motorcycle nuts, and hear more about Simonon’s art I’m not familiar with and his time spent in Gorillaz and of course with The Clash, also what The Clash and Sex Pistols really thought of The Stranglers.

Viv Albertine
We need some Ladies in there. I read her book last year - ‘Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys. A Great read by a lovely woman.

Siouxsie Sioux
IMHO Siouxsie and the Banshees are sadly missed, I enjoyed her last LP (solo) ‘Mantara’ but we’ve heard nothing since, 11 years? I think. Anyway an outspoken intelligent and strong lady, im guessing she would be a bit of a handful but that would add to all the fun!?

Gaye Advert.
Sadly now ‘lost’ I believe to ‘Social Services’, would enjoy hearing her time spent in The Adverts. I guess she finds helping people more fulfilling than being a 50 + year old lady playing in a punk band. Shame? would have loved to have seen her and her band in concert. A fan of JJ/liked JJ’s bass playing according to John Robb’s Book ‘Punk Rock :: An Oral History’.

Let’s throw another American in there, the one and only, the goddess that is Debbie Harry. God I had such a crush on her when I was a young boy, but that’s another story.
The music is fantastic, ‘Parallel Lines’ is one of my fave albums of all time, just brilliant punk/pop.
Would love to hear her take on the punk/new wave scene in NYC, Blondie were similar to The Stranglers in respect that they also weren’t really considered punk by some. But who cares? They sold shedloads of records and were very successful. Btw has that Clem Burke chap got a portrait of himself in his attic? He never seems to age.

I know I’ve probably missed out loads of potential interesting, intelligent, hilarious Punk/New Wavers out but this will have to do and I did say keep it to TWELVE but if you wanna add more Punk/New Wavers then please feel free to do so!
I got a bit bored of it at first at the beginning but once you get stuck into it and think about each individual and what they would bring to the show and how they would interact with each other it’s starts to get more fun and you just kinda wish/would love for it to happen! Please Enjoy!
Cheers.
:smile:
cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: I’m a Punk/New Waver ... Get Me Out Of Here!

Post by cerdan6899 »

Can't watch it at all. After reading Mr Lydons autobiography if i'm not mistaken i think he's already been in there, can't remeber myself. You do have some interesting people on your list thou.
i want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live
laurie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by laurie »

Yes he was favourite to win it and he walked out
His language was so bad they had to introduce a 5 or 10 second delay
do you wanna
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I would think lydon would just slag off the Stranglers & JJ, like he did at Glastonbury when JJ said he wouldn't go and see them and they've only done one album...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by cerdan6899 »

What about a punk / new wave egg heads team to take on the current BBC mob.
i want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

cerdan6899 wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 18:26 Can't watch it at all. After reading Mr Lydons autobiography if i'm not mistaken i think he's already been in there, can't remeber myself. You do have some interesting people on your list thou.
Yeah he was in there about 10 years ago and was hilarious but we can all dream and hope it this could happen.
Can’t we?
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

aldinblack wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 19:27 I would think lydon would just slag off the Stranglers & JJ, like he did at Glastonbury when JJ said he wouldn't go and see them and they've only done one album...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I think theyd all get on for the first week or so and apologise about all the crap that’s gone on in the past, but probably due to boredom the shit would hit the fan, probably a bit of aggro?
I think that Nasty fella with the big gob - Henry Rollins would start it off but JJ would prob finish it.
:lol:
Cmon peeps get your thinking caps on, just a bit of fun and fantasy.
Cheers.
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 28 Nov 2018, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

cerdan6899 wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 21:53 What about a punk / new wave egg heads team to take on the current BBC mob.
Another good idea and why not?
:smt023
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Jello Biafra ( Dead Kennedy's) - ever short of an opinion .
Capt Sensible - for comedic relief , funny and down to earth bloke .
Jet Black - Stranglers element , just think JJ or Hugh would always be on about their own past and history .
Mick Jones ( Clash ) - probably more interesting than Simonen .
Wattie - lunatic ,probably wind everyone up . ( from The Exploited for those not into punk )
Keith Morris ( Circle Jerks/Flag/Black Flag ) - interesting history .
Garry Bushell - punk journalist for a different take .
Mensi - another who'd probably argue with everyone.
Jimmy Pursey
Becki Bondage
Joan Jett
Siouxsie Sue
All quiet ..........
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: I’m a Punk/New Waver ... Get Me Out Of Here.!

Jon the Impaler wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 15:20 Jello Biafra ( Dead Kennedy's) - ever short of an opinion .
Capt Sensible - for comedic relief , funny and down to earth bloke .
Jet Black - Stranglers element , just think JJ or Hugh would always be on about their own past and history .
Mick Jones ( Clash ) - probably more interesting than Simonen .
Wattie - lunatic ,probably wind everyone up . ( from The Exploited for those not into punk )
Keith Morris ( Circle Jerks/Flag/Black Flag ) - interesting history .
Garry Bushell - punk journalist for a different take .
Mensi - another who'd probably argue with everyone.
Jimmy Pursey
Becki Bondage
Joan Jett
Siouxsie Sue
Some interesting characters there mate.
Yeah your right about Wattie - definitely a bit of a lunatic.
There’s a video on YouTube where he talks about Jello Biafra and Henry Rollins and calls them f’in liars. He also says way back he tried to shoot Henry Rollins with an Air Rifle but in a book of Henry Rollins he says Wattie tried to shoot him with a shotgun!

There’s a vid on YouTube somewhere and when Rollins was reminded of this gun incident Rollins says “I want Wattie to DIE right now”
Say what you mean Henry! Don’t hold anything back!

Yean Mensi would be another good one, not heard much of his music, just on YouTube but I remember as a kid liking ‘The Murder of Liddle Towers’, I was only 9 in ‘76 but totally got the song and that he had been killed by The Police, not been much of fan of the Police since then.
Your right about Mick Jones, deffo more interesting than Simonon, he’d have a lot to say too, I believe he likes his books and reads a lot and has a lock up full of stuff but mainly books.

Becki Bondage not seen or heard of her for a while, last saw her back in the 80’s in Leeds with Vice Squad I think her band was called.

Jimmy Pursey, good to see the original (I think) Sham 69 back together, I believe there was two versions on the go at one point?
Anyone remember when Pursey sort of started ‘Ballett Dancing’? Lol , and he was dancing along to ‘ WALTZINBLACK’!If I remember correctly?
That was proper weird!

Don’t really know Circle Jerks apart from Pat Smear being in them?
Gary Bushell, the creator of Oi!? Some say.

If Jet was fully fit he would be great in there, the stories he’d tell going right back to the 1940’s before Rock ‘n’ Roll happened! and his days as a young lad and being a jazz drummer, but not finding fame and fortune until The Stranglers hit it big time in 1977 when Jet was 40/41 years old.