2016? It sucked didn't it?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

2016? It sucked didn't it?

Post by saminblack »

The latest news this week about more great icons of rock/pop/entertainment leaving us reinforces what Danny Baker said on 5 Live last Saturday - don't let anyone con you otherwise 2016 has been an awful year no matter what has happened in your private life.

I am sure everyone has there own lowlights as their personal heroes have died but for me as a (rare on this forum?) lefty-liberal having to cope with Brexit, Trump and the scary rise of the far right while dealing with the death of heroes like Ali and Bowie and once again seeing my England football dreams disintegrate (Iceland!!)) and more frustrating misery at Nottingham Forest this year has truly sucked.

And the Stranglers? A great tour in March but any year when Jet almost officially retires (without due recognition of the fact) and we are as far away from a new studio album as Pigeon is from a dictionary cannot be a good year can it? After all It has now been nearly five years since Giants (an album which diminishes rather than grows over time IMHO) and to put that in context in the five years from 1977 they released six almighty elpees and 16 singles. Nope, not a good year unless you prefer the pre-gig drinks to the gigs as many seem to do now.

As George Michael said 'you've gotta have faith" and I just have to have faith that 2017 will be better all round. I mean with Trump as President what can possibility go wrong???

See you on the other side folks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 2016? It sucked didn't it?

Post by marky »

saminblack I don't follow football but I agree with what you've said there I hope that next year the stranglers restore a degree of credibility in as much as it will not be the usual tour in the uk and overseas age should not be a barrier to creativity the stranglers should now produce something for all of us in 2017 a new album would be a good start and I hope also that jet will release a new book as the historian and archivist of the band it would be something we would all relish I'm sure I still believe that the stranglers have it in them to create a good album and I think its only what we deserve as loyal fans ....... its been a sad year losing bowie and so many others people who were famous and people that we know in our own personal lives and we will remember them appropriately and with dignity I'm sure of that......... speaking of dignity Donald trump is absolutely fuckin mental he has no dignity at all he is the school bully the rich kid that buys his way out of trouble a draft dodger a sexual assaulter a con artist and although really stupid in term of political nous hes a cunning bastard I watch fox news cos its full of lying shite and the best platform to hear and see trumps lies the yanks who voted for him you get what you deserve 2017 may be a very bad year in America and it serves you right for being stupid and not seeing through orange hitler
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

SPOILER ALERT: If you thought 2016 was a bad year for the deaths of celebrities, childhood icons and famous people we grew up with in our 'lives' - then you are gonna hate 2017, 2018 and beyond - because believe it or not - 2016 was only the tip of the iceberg. Also, wrapping them up in cotton-wool won't do any good - at their age they will either expire due to overheating or their breathing will give out due to inhalation of cotton fibres blocking up the lungs.

Knock, Knock
Who's there?
DEATH
Death Wh.......uhhhhhh

Keep safe peeps and I'll see you in 2017............ hopefully.

P.S. Don't get me started on politics
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Agreed, given the average age of many culture icons of our lives it will get worse.
Apart from the inevitable it was as good or bad a years as ever.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
laurie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by laurie »

Think yourself lucky it wasnt you
do you wanna
zamaguire

Post by zamaguire »

It was a shit year for me and i expect 2017 to be the same.
zontar

Post by zontar »

Likewise. Things never get better, do they?
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Bowie was the pinnacle of it all :shock: :( That hit me, but at the end of the day it was an absolutely cracking year for me. My dream to get a bunch of my mates into the wheelchair rugby division against ex and current Team GB players became true, and we did so well (So far)

2017 can only get better :) :)
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

2016 was just fine for me and mine

Let's be positive!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Charles Dickens (A Tale Of Two Cities, 1859)
ManInBrown
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Brexit
Northern Ireland winning at the Euros
Trump humiliating 'progressives'

Great year.
rotten thoughts
sewer rat