Guitar Roadies & Tuning issues

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Turkey Troter
Rats Rally

Guitar Roadies & Tuning issues

Post by Turkey Troter »

Why is it when you go and see a band, the roadies check the guitars and mics every 5 mins even though we all know the band are not going on for half an hour or more, just once when they set the equipment up and then 30 seconds before the band goes on would be OK. Is it really neccesary to keep doing it or do they just try to wind the crowd up? :smt102
Can't you see can't you see that you're rocking the boat?
Damian
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Guitar Roadies & Tuning issues

Post by Damian »

Diff reasons, guitar tech needs to know all works, the monitor tech needs to know his monitoring ok, also FOH sound man needs to know all his stuff works, also as venue fills up temp rises which affects tuning so they re check guitars in tune.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Guitars never stay in tune for the whole time, even at home when i play my guitar im forever retuneing it after every 15 minutes. The guitarists can also tune the guitars themselves, during the gig on their pedal on the floor or by ear. I can tune a guitar by ear now, but if I wanted tune to Drop D or Drop C tuneing i would have to use my pedal,I don't know why they have so many pedals though, i mean i just have a wah pedal, but there forever changing the settings on a pedal, and unless its actually used for a certain part of the song, you normally never hear it.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

If you need to re-tune after 15 minutes, consider changing your machine head.
I can last a gig without tuning and play with a clubbed right hand!!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

jetblacksdad wrote:If you need to re-tune after 15 minutes, consider changing your machine head.
I'm not in a band or anything, though i wouldn't mind trying that out one day!. Plus i haven't changed my Guitar Strings since 2006 and they still work. Maybe i should consider changing them. Ive had the same guitar for the last 14 years. Bought it with my first paycheck, an epiphone gothic explorer,its only a copy of the real gibson les paul explorer,because those were way to expesnive. This one was £400 at the time and a real bargain. 14 years later i see they have dropped down to £269!.
Damian

Post by Damian »

Also roadies have to tune more than one guitar, Re the Stranglers Andy has to tune up to 6 guitars each gig.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

pigeon wrote:
jetblacksdad wrote:If you need to re-tune after 15 minutes, consider changing your machine head.
I'm not in a band or anything, though i wouldn't mind trying that out one day!. Plus i haven't changed my Guitar Strings since 2006 and they still work. Maybe i should consider changing them. Ive had the same guitar for the last 14 years. Bought it with my first paycheck, an epiphone gothic explorer,its only a copy of the real gibson les paul explorer,because those were way to expesnive. This one was £400 at the time and a real bargain. 14 years later i see they have dropped down to £269!.

New strings will definitely help!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

The Bloke in the guitar shop where i get my strings from and did my school work expierence in 16 years ago, is dead now, never knew he was an alcoholic!. He use to turn up to work drunk,but hid all the drink from me as he didn't want me to find out. The two other guys who worked in the shop (metalheads) knew about it though. Didnt find out about that until this year when randomly i bumped into one of the guys on the way back home from The Stranglers in Brixton, he was at Machine Head in Hammersmith, i was dissapointed i missed Machine head again, but id not seen him in 18 years and he told me on the train. His in a band aswell and there signed. His been playing for years though. His an excellent guitarist,knew he would be a professional musican from when he just use to play in the store as there werent that many customers. Dave mustaine was his hero i believe and he had a mustaine signiture series guitar in 1998.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Damian wrote:Diff reasons, guitar tech needs to know all works, the monitor tech needs to know his monitoring ok, also FOH sound man needs to know all his stuff works, also as venue fills up temp rises which affects tuning so they re check guitars in tune.
Spot on.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Turkey Troter
Rats Rally

Post by Turkey Troter »

PaulinLondon wrote:
Damian wrote:Diff reasons, guitar tech needs to know all works, the monitor tech needs to know his monitoring ok, also FOH sound man needs to know all his stuff works, also as venue fills up temp rises which affects tuning so they re check guitars in tune.
Spot on.
But why tune up every 10 mins - why not do it once just before the band come on?
Can't you see can't you see that you're rocking the boat?
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Turkey Troter wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote:
Spot on.
But why tune up every 10 mins - why not do it once just before the band come on?
Wind the crowd up, build the anticipation (or sense thereof)...
Thank you very much
EiTC
Damian

Post by Damian »

Turkey Troter wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote:
Spot on.
There checking the amps etc, if they wait until just before they come on and there is an issue then there would be a delay