Leeds - Interesting?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Well it was mainly Heavy Metal gigs I went to - Queens Hall was a great one day festival place and one in particular was Saxon/Twisted Sister and Girlschool.

My sister lived in Headingley and it wasn't a fantastic place, but it was a very friendly area.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Hammersmith1982 wrote:Well it was mainly Heavy Metal gigs I went to - Queens Hall was a great one day festival place and one in particular was Saxon/Twisted Sister and Girlschool.

My sister lived in Headingley and it wasn't a fantastic place, but it was a very friendly area.
Now that is interesting, especially your interest of Heavy Metal bands. There's a member on this Forum who's heavily into Heavy Metal too... Mr Pigeon. Didn't Girlschool have tenous links to Motorhead... I seem to remember them performing together and maybe appearing in each others promo videos?
Bernie
Something better change!
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Burn e 77 wrote:
Hammersmith1982 wrote:Well it was mainly Heavy Metal gigs I went to - Queens Hall was a great one day festival place and one in particular was Saxon/Twisted Sister and Girlschool.

Now that is interesting, especially your interest of Heavy Metal bands. There's a member on this Forum who's heavily into Heavy Metal too... Mr Pigeon. Didn't Girlschool have tenous links to Motorhead... I seem to remember them performing together and maybe appearing in each others promo videos?
Bernie

They released a joint single under the name "headgirl" I think (see what they did there?). Could have been "Please don't touch" but don't quote me. Think Lemmy and one of the Girls School girls were an item for a whole.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

And here it is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eOpx61okWTk

I think Phil Taylor wasn't drumming on it as he was recovering from a broken neck. In case anyone's interested.....
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
rattusrattus1962
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by rattusrattus1962 »

Burn e 77 wrote:
rattusrattus1962 wrote:No....its Yorkshire....
Is Yorkshire... MORE interesting than Leeds then "rattusrattus" :?:
Bernie

Some great places in Yorkshire Bernie, I must confess they have the best chippys....Ripon Races is a great day out, Whitbys a grand place....but Lancashire tops the lot..
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

rattusrattus1962 wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:
rattusrattus1962 wrote:No....its Yorkshire....
Is Yorkshire... MORE interesting than Leeds then "rattusrattus" :?:
Bernie

Some great places in Yorkshire Bernie, I must confess they have the best chippys....Ripon Races is a great day out, Whitbys a grand place....but Lancashire tops the lot..
Hi "rattusrattus1962" I can definitely agree with you that Yorkshire had THE best chippies (probably) in Britain, I remember eating outside many of them donkey's years ago in the p*ss*ng rain while waiting for buses & cabs to take me to Leeds Rail station and then on to the 'Smoke'. Yorkshire was a beautiful area of the UK too with a marvellous historic heritage. As a teenager I visited Kirkstall Abbey with a local lass I had met weeks earlier at the Capital Radio 'Soul & Funk' Night held in London's famous Lyceum theatre on Friday nights, back in the day around 2 years before Punk broke out commercially in Central London in 1976. The lass was studying at the Metropolitan University in Leeds at the time, and would travel to London every 3 months to attend the mega 'Soul' weekend event at the Lyceum. Her father was well minted and paid for her train journeys down to the 'Smoke' to visit me and her Aunt who lived in Holborn. I'm guessing I wouldn't recognise Yorkshire and it's cosmopolitan demography as it is today?
Bernie
Last edited by Burn e 77 on 30 Apr 2016, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Something better change!
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Not much into cities these days , prefer to relax in countryside - but I've been to Leeds a few times and the surrounding countryside - Yorkshire I'd say is a fantastic country , some lovely scenery but more often than not its going to be wet .A lot of times I've just travelled through it to get to the lake district , rather take the longer route via A1 and across the pennines than the dull M6 route . As for Leeds - did the Leeds half marathon in the early 90's , went to Elland Rd a few times ( as a Leeds supporter ) . Interesting ? As good as any other British city I'd say - no better no worse .They're all much of a muchness - traffic , congestion , rush .
All quiet ..........
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Burn e 77 wrote:

Bernie
I loved so much music in the late 70's and early 80's. I had a leather jacket with my Stranglers rat painted on and Stranglers patches, plus I had a denim waistcoat to put over that with my Iron Maiden/AC/DC/Marillion/Floyd Patches, plus I had a Harrington with my Madness/Specials/Two Tone patches and badges and then I also had a parka with my Jam/Purple Hearts patches.

Every night I went to the pub people were guessing what I was going to wear next :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Hammersmith1982 wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:

Bernie
I loved so much music in the late 70's and early 80's. I had a leather jacket with my Stranglers rat painted on and Stranglers patches, plus I had a denim waistcoat to put over that with my Iron Maiden/AC/DC/Marillion/Floyd Patches, plus I had a Harrington with my Madness/Specials/Two Tone patches and badges and then I also had a parka with my Jam/Purple Hearts patches.

Every night I went to the pub people were guessing what I was going to wear next :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You have an eccletic taste in music, just like it should be fella! I share all the genres AND 'clothes/style tribes' you like apart from Metal (although I listen to Ghost & hard rock etc.) I'm heavily in to Psychedelic Trance, Techno & Hard Uplifting House... Lots of flavours in the mix makes life Interesting! :wink:
Bernie
Something better change!
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

I just like anything that pops up. That's the joy of music. I've got stuff by Underworld and The Orb sitting next to Moby, sitting next to Deep Purple and Nik Turner's Inner City Unit (Don't do it). Mind you I don't generally buy all the albums of one band, apart from The Stranglers, Marillion, Floyd, Radiohead and Madness.

Otherwise it's just great to put on shuffle on the old media player and see what hits me. As I've got 600+ CD's I can often sit there and think "who the fuck was that?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Hammersmith1982 wrote:I just like anything that pops up. That's the joy of music. I've got stuff by Underworld and The Orb sitting next to Moby, sitting next to Deep Purple and Nik Turner's Inner City Unit (Don't do it). Mind you I don't generally buy all the albums of one band, apart from The Stranglers, Marillion, Floyd, Radiohead and Madness.

Otherwise it's just great to put on shuffle on the old media player and see what hits me. As I've got 600+ CD's I can often sit there and think "who the fuck was that?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Underworld and the Orb are gigs I used to attend regularly... 'Live In Japan' by Deep Purple IS the quintessential British hard rock album of the 1970's in my opinion... I was introduced to this seminal album by Hippies I used to work with, in a studio in Covent Garden... a stones throw from the Roxy... (I was a Punk/New Waver at the time in 1977 when I first heard it... I introduced the Hippies to XTC, Damned & Stranglers)... Ozric Tentacles, checked them out live too! It's small world fella. Radiohead, some of it... Madness, yeah deffo big time back in the day! There's some very Interesting music enthusiasts on here 8)
Bernie
Something better change!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Jon the Impaler wrote:Not much into cities these days , prefer to relax in countryside - but I've been to Leeds a few times and the surrounding countryside - Yorkshire I'd say is a fantastic country , some lovely scenery but more often than not its going to be wet .A lot of times I've just travelled through it to get to the lake district , rather take the longer route via A1 and across the pennines than the dull M6 route . As for Leeds - did the Leeds half marathon in the early 90's , went to Elland Rd a few times ( as a Leeds supporter ) . Interesting ? As good as any other British city I'd say - no better no worse .They're all much of a muchness - traffic , congestion , rush .
Yes, I prefer the countryside too... Lived in Biggin Hill Kent for years in a lovely bungalow with a massive garden backed on to beautiful farmlands mainly sanctuaries for horses and donkeys just 10 mins walk and you had the famous and very Interesting Second World War aerodrome known as 'The Bump' by 1940's Spitfire & Hurricane pilots... actually called 'RAF Biggin Hill... I had badgers, foxes, squirrels AND massive Buzzards that would swoop down and try and grab the squirrels. The badger used to visit the garden every other week, it had a ferocious temper but loved all the grub I left out for the foxes. I had a valley on one side of me too with beautiful green scenery. I would get the opportunity to watch a famous Second World War Spitfire fly over my garden sometimes on a daily basis in the height of Summer called 'The Spirit Of Kent' there where 2 Spitfires hangered on the aerodrome known as 'The Heritage' hanger (kinda small RAF Spitfire & Hurricane museum
)... Best of all there was no Rail Station or Tube Station... just a little bus shuttle that travelled to Bromley where the train link to London was where I worked... Will move back there in 12 months time.
Bernie
Something better change!