The next leader of The Labour Party should be...

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The next leader of The Labour Party should be...

Post by dan-electro »

Greatkudu wrote:I am afraid with all respect it makes no difference who or what leader they elect.I fear labour are doomed at least for the next 10 years and maybe forever.The reason's the demographic has changed in the country Ie:former working class Labour voters have become tory voters in a large enough volume to ensure Labour cannot ever get a majority,Ukip also have take votes from Labour,Scotland is now in almost total SNP control which has cost Labour even more seats.So If you add up all those reasons and the fact that Britain has swung to the right.I cannot realistically see how Labour can ever win a majority.I wish the new leader all the best when elected.But I think It's a poisoned chalice.Sorry to be to negative,but that's the way I see things.

Of course alot could happen over the next 5 years.But I really don't envy the new leader when they are elected.
There is also the new boundary changes that will be implemented in 2018 that will see the seat number reduce from 650 to 600. I heard this change could add as much as 25 seats to the Tory allocation by the next election in 2020 (As it had been argued that the current boundaries ironically favoured the Labour Party!!). Add the Labour seat loss in Scotland, 5 years of more austerity in certain parts of England (where UKIP is eating away more Labour votes) and the Liberal democrats being reduced to nothing, you then begin to wonder how the Conservatives can ever lose another election!! The whole Parlimentary voting system needs to be reviewed as the first pass the post system is going to become even more frustrating for certain voters in the future.
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
PaulD
Rats Rally

Post by PaulD »

A true story about Chukka

I met him a few weeks ago at Crewe when we were waiting on the same platform for different connections. I wished him luck and then took the opportunity to buttonhole him about the cost of retraining for older (ie 40=) workers which has been an issue for me. I expected him to merely speak politely but he insisted on buying me coffee and we sat down to chat, he was interrupted by an assistant with a mobile call that was apparently important but said "no I am talking to this gentleman first what he says is important". In the end I had to get my train but he has shot up in my estimation.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Alistair Campbell...
Bernie 77
Something better change!
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

PaulD wrote:A true story about Chukka

.... he has shot up in my estimation.
I hate it when that happens. :smt110
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Mrs Balls (likely rather than should be)
Last edited by Bear Cage on 11 May 2015, 23:05, edited 2 times in total.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

dennirusking wrote:... Dan Jarvis
Ever heard of him? He's one of the few politicians around who seems honest, trust worthy and not mad. I'd vote for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiY956PLUlo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIf6bayDlN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDUQXvdZABo
Jarvis has said he's not interested
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Unless they marshall their leadership elections better than they did last time it'll be whoever Unite and co choose.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Seems to be lots ruling themselves OUT of it just now, is it really in that bad a state :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Bear Cage wrote:Unless they marshall their leadership elections better than they did last time it'll be whoever Unite and co choose.
Wasn't it Ed that 'used' the Union block vote in the last leadership election to usurp his brother(Dave had won all 3 votes up until that point), then promptly changed the voting system to take that power away?
Indeed he's been cutting the ties with the Unions ever since and the party has tanked, but you'd be a fool to draw any conclusions from that.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

dave greenfield
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:
Bear Cage wrote:Unless they marshall their leadership elections better than they did last time it'll be whoever Unite and co choose.
Wasn't it Ed that 'used' the Union block vote in the last leadership election to usurp his brother(Dave had won all 3 votes up until that point), then promptly changed the voting system to take that power away?
Indeed he's been cutting the ties with the Unions ever since and the party has tanked, but you'd be a fool to draw any conclusions from that.
I thought they'd already switched to one member one vote (and each Union member getting a vote), or did the unions block vote have to be voted for by the members?
Either way, when some of the unions distributed the voting papers they included stuff on ed Miliband and why they should vote for him, and nothing on any other candidates
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

PaulD wrote:A true story about Chukka

I met him a few weeks ago at Crewe when we were waiting on the same platform for different connections. I wished him luck and then took the opportunity to buttonhole him about the cost of retraining for older (ie 40=) workers which has been an issue for me. I expected him to merely speak politely but he insisted on buying me coffee and we sat down to chat, he was interrupted by an assistant with a mobile call that was apparently important but said "no I am talking to this gentleman first what he says is important". In the end I had to get my train but he has shot up in my estimation.

Good for him...but did he listen to your points as he should have, or did he seek to wow you with what he planned to do in government.
rotten thoughts