R.I.P two Giants Ian Paisley and Donald Sinden.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

R.I.P two Giants Ian Paisley and Donald Sinden.

Post by Greatkudu »

Sad news today about two Giants IMHO The Reverend Ian Paisley and Sir Donald Sinden,R.I.P
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Re: R.I.P two Giants Ian Paisley and Donald Sinden.

Post by iain »

Must say, having had Ian Paisley dominating NI politics all my life here, I feel thoroughly indifferent to his passing.
rotten thoughts
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

I had a weird encounter wth Ian Paisley about ten years ago. I was standing at one of the exits of the House of Commons waiting for the pouring rain to stop so I could walk across the road to Portcullis House. Suddenly a person locked arms with mine and I turned to see it was Ian Paisley, sporting a huge umbella. "there's room for both of us under this!" he said, and together, we strolled, arm in arm, across the road, under the downpour, shielded by his umbrella.
scouserat
Rats Rally

Post by scouserat »

cassini wrote:I had a weird encounter wth Ian Paisley about ten years ago. I was standing at one of the exits of the House of Commons waiting for the pouring rain to stop so I could walk across the road to Portcullis House. Suddenly a person locked arms with mine and I turned to see it was Ian Paisley, sporting a huge umbella. "there's room for both of us under this!" he said, and together, we strolled, arm in arm, across the road, under the downpour, shielded by his umbrella.
i think near the end of his years he realised that peace was the only way forward for both comunities, nice story cassini :smile:
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

The Main Stream Media projecting a version of the person he was, as opposed to who he actually was. Who'd have thought it?
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:The Main Stream Media projecting a version of the person he was, as opposed to who he actually was. Who'd have thought it?
In your humble opinion of course David.

I have probably had a more personal chance to see the man, talk on community matters with him (out of the public glare) than you seeing him publicly orate AND you must remember the same 'Main Stream Media' projected a very different version of him when he was not singing from their hymn sheet back in the day. Dealing with both sides of the divide in his constituency, acting as their representative on all number of matters from roads, schools, benefits.., he was dedicated to all. I know this from personal experience and you won't find the Media spreading that side to the man.

We will all have opinions made by experience, media, your own political/religious point of view, blah-de-blah-de-blah.

Love him or loathe him, you will never, Never, NEVER see the likes of him again.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

MULLY wrote:
Toiler On The Sea wrote:The Main Stream Media projecting a version of the person he was, as opposed to who he actually was. Who'd have thought it?
In your humble opinion of course David.

I have probably had a more personal chance to see the man, talk on community matters with him (out of the public glare) than you seeing him publicly orate AND you must remember the same 'Main Stream Media' projected a very different version of him when he was not singing from their hymn sheet back in the day. Dealing with both sides of the divide in his constituency, acting as their representative on all number of matters from roads, schools, benefits.., he was dedicated to all. I know this from personal experience and you won't find the Media spreading that side to the man.

We will all have opinions made by experience, media, your own political/religious point of view, blah-de-blah-de-blah.

Love him or loathe him, you will never, Never, NEVER see the likes of him again.
I'm agreeing with you mate, the vast majority get 'who' they think someone is from the media, the truth is not as 'newsworthy'.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Totally agree the media is just a way to nullify the masses.Great to hear comments about Ian Paisley,we definitely won't see the like of him again.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Rather gutted with the dawning that despite what Dave Allen said, "Rev Ian Paisley" is not an anagram of "vile IRA pansy".
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
PaulD
Rats Rally

Post by PaulD »

my brother in law pointed out this week re Paisley that by living very long he had become a sort of national treasure
I thik that is pushing it a bit
the only people who Paisley and SInden might be a treasure to were the scriptwriters of Spitting Image