England 2014 Word Cup Thread

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: England 2014 Word Cup Thread

Post by mickinblack »

Have to say i know we lost but the team performance was good.
I think rooney was out of place and Gerard was looking tired.
Also we dont seem to have a world class player in the team Gerard was but past his best.
So with what we have its was always going to be tough.
If we play like that againt Uruguay and Costa Rica then think we be in the next round.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I thought our performance was pretty good - My expectations were never that high and I was pleasantly surprised. That said gotta agree on the Rooney comments waste of space - I reckon he only gets rolled out as he's a name and other teams recognise his name.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

England played well and might have drawn, or even won, the match.
Italy were, typically, just that bit more ruthless and professional in maximising their chances. And in Pirlo they had the best footballer on the pitch.
scouserat
Rats Rally

Post by scouserat »

World class footballer... well take your pick between these two,..first a 28 year old.., overweight granny shagger lazy effer whos more interested in growing his hair back to suit his holywood looks :roll: and staring in more world cup pre match tv adverts than any other footballer in the world , a man who scores the odd great goal every couple of years or gives an average ball to a more talented footballer to put in the back of the net , lives off it till the next flash in the pan ,and then laps up everything the cock sucking plaudits and newspapers say about him.. a man who played poorly all season for a team who finished 7th ( in any position he wanted to play in)and still gets picked for the national team :shock: :!:..then theres someone like Pirlo... 35 years old , a majestic artisan of a footballer who dominated and orchestrated every worthwhile move his team created last night.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I support Italy, so am obviously happy with the result. I was expecting it to be close ie a drawer or a slim advantage either way - and it was.

England played very well & had the right idea trying to get at Italy with their fast paced attack - it worked very well & they created opportunities that, unfortunately for them, didn't translate into goals.

Italy played a slower possession based game designed to conserve energy, probing patiently for opportunities. They were able to - at times - exploit weaknesses in the English defense, particularly on England's left hand side.

The Italian defense did a good job of reducing English goal scoring chances mostly by closing down space - eg trying to force the play out wide away from danger - rather than tackle / clearance. Perhaps they were worried about giving away free kicks or a pen, given Sterling and co's pace. When he was called upon to make saves the 2nd choice goal keeper did great. 

It did look like England were capable of scoring though whenever they surged forward, made for nerve wracking viewing !

Italy looked pretty relaxed throughout, passing the ball even out of their own penalty area when they did win it back from an England attack.

The last 20mins or so was mostly England attack, but I don't recall many actual shots on goal. Italy could have sealed it at the end - what a shame Pirlo's terrific free kick hit the bar !

Overall a good performance from both teams, good officiating with no daft decisions made. 

Forza Italia !

England can win matches playing like that. Hopefully both teams will progress.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I Hate You !
scouserat
Rats Rally

Post by scouserat »

Agree Aldinblack , was impressed with italy overall, defensively as always even though england did create good chances ,Italy looked the more comfortable on the ball , looked like one of the better teams in the tournament, I think England will have more joy up front against Uraquay they didnt look as well organized as italy. Drop Rooney, man mark Suarez and England will do them.
Last edited by scouserat on 15 Jun 2014, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Bring in Chamberpot and Barkley, for Gerrard and Rooney.
Youth, verve and speed will scare any team.
rotten thoughts
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

iain wrote:Bring in Chamberpot and Barkley, for Gerrard and Rooney.
You don't win anything with kids . Hansen and Lawrenson said so , so it must me true . I do think in this case though they would be right .
So far been a decent world cup - goal aplenty .
All quiet ..........
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Jon the Impaler wrote:
iain wrote:Bring in Chamberpot and Barkley, for Gerrard and Rooney.
You don't win anything with kids . Hansen and Lawrenson said so , so it must me true . I do think in this case though they would be right .
So far been a decent world cup - goal aplenty .
Pele won the first of his 3 winners medals @17.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

finishing 1st or 2nd doesn't make much odds,it will be either Colombia or Ivory Coast in the knockouts

on that display against a very good Italian team,we should have enough to win our next 2 games
See You At The Bar
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Played well at times I thought, I still think we will go through.
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

Its football, and therefore it totally shit you sad bunch of cunts !!!!!! :smt006
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.