Moderator: StanInBlack

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: England 2014 Word Cup Thread

Post by Boody »

Jon the Impaler wrote:
iain wrote:Is there a more hateful cheat In World football than Arjen Robben?
Suarez ? Maradonna ? Ken Bates ?
Sepp Blatter?
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Argentina v Switzerland - bloody hell the spirit of England is still out there in Brazil in this match which must have been one of the worst at this world cup ......and a bad match that DIDN'T involve England to boot . Inept passing , no clue in front of goal , passing sideways and backwards - or to opposition players ..... just some of England's tactics that Argentina have picked up on and decided to utilise . Overall I think this World Cup has been excellent - the best I've seen since 1986 at least .....but you're always used to getting one or two turgid games - oddly though this one didn't have England's name on it .
All quiet ..........
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I think England should have taken Defoe to the World Cup. He is a proven goal scorer and would have caused problems for the Italians etc.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

I generally hear howls of laughter when I suggest Peter Crouch is worth taking along, if only as a potential impact substitution. Defenders are bothered with anyone as tall as Crouch, even if his pure footballing skills aren't exactly world class.

As I say, cue howls of derisive laughter....
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

football is a total waste of time and pure shit a bunch of egos on the verge of psychopathy who get paid loads of money ......... they can all fuck off
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

Boody wrote:I generally hear howls of laughter when I suggest Peter Crouch is worth taking along, if only as a potential impact substitution. Defenders are bothered with anyone as tall as Crouch, even if his pure footballing skills aren't exactly world class.

As I say, cue howls of derisive laughter....
Fair comment.
Crouch or Andy Carroll are always worth having in your squad.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

marky wrote:football is a total waste of time and pure shit a bunch of egos on the verge of psychopathy who get paid loads of money ......... they can all fuck off
Not a football fan then :grin: . Its a very different game now to when I was young . More money and more ego's ion it - but no other sport inspires the enthusiasm world wide like it , support wise I would say nothing touches it . I don't like the way the game has gone , but it has so I get on with it . One day the bubble may burst . I know that when I was young also - older people were saying the game was nothing like it was in their youth - its p[erpetual and I daresay today's generation will be saying the same in 30 years time when top players are on millions a week . I still like the game despite being English and a Leeds fan - thats one HELL of a bugbear .
All quiet ..........
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

whilst I can't disagree about some of the egos & money involved etc, I think that generally the world game has improved no end with the standard of skill & athelitiscism much improved compared to the "old days".

This world cup has been one of the best, although both england and my team Italy were shit

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I Hate You !
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

aldinblack wrote:whilst I can't disagree about some of the egos & money involved etc, I think that generally the world game has improved no end with the standard of skill & athelitiscism much improved compared to the "old days".

This world cup has been one of the best, although both england and my team Italy were shit

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Difference with this world cup to a lot of recent one's , teams seem to going out to win games rather than going out not to lose . The football generally is very entertaining though there isn't a clear stand out best nation as yet . Out of the last 8 teams I reckon at least 6 have a realistic chance , I'd say Costa Rica would be hard pushed to win though they've done bloody well so far and I think Argentina look limited .... Brazil don't look any better than Germany or France but have home advantage . Players are much fitter these days and the pace of the game is a lot quicker . Don't know about players being more skillful , maybe the average player overall is better but if you compare Messi/Neymar to Pele /Rivelinho/Cruyff I'd pick the latter especially when you see what they had to cope with on the physical side , which nowadays is nowhere near as tough as it was .It dirty sneaky now as opposed to dirty hard .
All quiet ..........
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Jon the Impaler wrote:
marky wrote:football is a total waste of time and pure shit a bunch of egos on the verge of psychopathy who get paid loads of money ......... they can all fuck off
Not a football fan then :grin: . Its a very different game now to when I was young . More money and more ego's ion it - but no other sport inspires the enthusiasm world wide like it , support wise I would say nothing touches it . I don't like the way the game has gone , but it has so I get on with it . One day the bubble may burst . I know that when I was young also - older people were saying the game was nothing like it was in their youth - its p[erpetual and I daresay today's generation will be saying the same in 30 years time when top players are on millions a week . I still like the game despite being English and a Leeds fan - thats one HELL of a bugbear .
Leeds fans get alot of stick up & down the country,but some of the noisest and passionate fans I've seen over the last 30 odd years at Brighton

as for England,had the same passion for the national team as I did for the Stranglers,to give it some sort of perspective

82 we beat France,top the group then kop West Germany & Spain,France get Austria & Northern Ireland

86 don't start playing til we're 2-0 down against the argies

90 well,whoever won the semi between us and West Germany were going to win the final

this was a real golden era of English football,from the late 70's Liverpool,Forest & Villa winning the European Cup

Leeds & Derby coming close before that

now,the world has caught up
See You At The Bar
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

well that was a JFK of a football match last night,everyone will always remember where they were when Brazil lost 7-1 at home in the semi finals of the world cup

come on the Dutch,win it this time!
See You At The Bar
DukeDexter
SHAKESPEARO

Post by DukeDexter »

I doubt any Liverpool supporter was surprised to see the way Hodgson's England performed. He'll do with England what he almost did to us - take the team to the top of the 2nd division in football.