Rik is dead, the Peoples Poet is dead.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Rik is dead, the Peoples Poet is dead.

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

He bought me and my friends so much hilarity and happiness. RIP Rik with a silent P

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Yes, I saw him live three times - Bottom, The Government Inspector and Waiting for Godot. Great fun each time. Just goes to show his versatility - he wasn't just adept at hitting people with frying pans (although he did that very well).

I don't know how well known it is but he was diagnosed with epilepsy as an adult, as was I. I know how much ignorance there is about the illness. When I initially went to my GP, I described the symptoms and he asked me (I kid you not) if I was taking recreational drugs. I resisted the temptation to say "I wish" or something similar. A year later, when I was still having seizures (which come in all shapes and forms, not just the classic uncontrollable shaking), I was referred to a neurologist, who diagnosed me with "tiredness". The twat. Apologies if this seems irrelevant to the tragic death of Rik and the devastating effect it must have on his family and friends, but I am on a bit of a one man crusade to talk have people talk openly about it, to start addressing the surrounding social taboo (try telling someone the aspirin-like tablet you are having with your morning cup of tea is to prevent seizures - I have had a few tumbleweed moments over the years). I could rant on about what a shitty deal it gets (1% of people in the UK is epileptic and so little is known about it - its root causes, how the treatment works &c &c). I could bang on about the side effects of my medication as well, but this post heas probably already outstayed its welcome.

I've not been posting to this forum for very long, so I hope you don't mind me offloading. In a relatively short space of time I feel like I have become part of a family - at Lille and Hammersmith in particular this year, I felt a sense of belonging that I don't think I have ever had before. Thanks to all of you that have made it this far, and I promise I will be back to my inane ramblings next time.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Boody wrote:I don't know how well known it is but he was diagnosed with epilepsy as an adult, as was I. I know how much ignorance there is about the illness. When I initially went to my GP, I described the symptoms and he asked me (I kid you not) if I was taking recreational drugs. I resisted the temptation to say "I wish" or something similar. A year later, when I was still having seizures (which come in all shapes and forms, not just the classic uncontrollable shaking), I was referred to a neurologist, who diagnosed me with "tiredness". The twat.
I knew someone many years ago who was diagnosed with epilepsy - lost his driving licence for a year and went without any seizures in that time , then something like a week before he was due to apply or get his licence back he had another one ....told his wife not to tell anyone as he wanted to drive but then he had a big seizure which killed him ...... unfortunately he was misdiagnosed with epilepsy as it turned out to be a artery blockage or something which if diagnosed correctly could have been treated ( this is in 1992 bear in mind ) .
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

A sad loss,a truely talented chap.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Unreal. Even his recent stuff was great. Saw him live on one of the Bottom tours. Just talented and a natural comic genius.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

He was the highlight of "Man Down", a vehicle for Greg Davies, and was playing it like an ageing Vivian if anything - mischievous ne'erdowell out to wind his son (Davies) up at every opportunity. Not a bad way to bow out.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Boody wrote:He was the highlight of "Man Down", a vehicle for Greg Davies, and was playing it like an ageing Vivian if anything - mischievous ne'erdowell out to wind his son (Davies) up at every opportunity. Not a bad way to bow out.
Didn't like the series but watched it for Rik.
Luckily some kind person uploaded all of the clips with Rik in to YouTube so you don't have to sit through whole episodes.
ManInBrown
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

He was a comic genius and will be sadly missed. R.I.P
jaydee1964
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jaydee1964 »

Rockula wrote:
Boody wrote:He was the highlight of "Man Down", a vehicle for Greg Davies, and was playing it like an ageing Vivian if anything - mischievous ne'erdowell out to wind his son (Davies) up at every opportunity. Not a bad way to bow out.
Luckily some kind person uploaded all of the clips with Rik in to YouTube so you don't have to sit through whole episodes.
I only saw a clip of this on a Sunday morning cookery show and rik pushed Gregg Davies into the Xmas tree and then promptly bounced out of the room it was a laugh out loud moment ...loved him saw most of the bottom lives ...can anyone remember flashheart in black adder ....
" treat yer kite like you treat yer woman "
" what like take it round to see your mother "
" no George ....get inside it five times a day and take it to heaven and back WOOF WOOF "

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

jaydee1964 wrote:
Rockula wrote:
I only saw a clip of this on a Sunday morning cookery show and rik pushed Gregg Davies into the Xmas tree and then promptly bounced out of the room it was a laugh out loud moment ...loved him saw most of the bottom lives ...can anyone remember flashheart in black adder ....
" treat yer kite like you treat yer woman "
" what like take it round to see your mother "
" no George ....get inside it five times a day and take it to heaven and back WOOF WOOF "

Nursey in Blackadder died at the weekend. R.I.P
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Darling?

the last person I called Darling was pregnant 20 seconds later
See You At The Bar
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Alexinblack wrote:

Nursey in Blackadder died at the weekend. R.I.P
RIP indeed, always liked Bernard.
No one can win against kipple.