scotland .anyone care?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: scotland .anyone care?

Post by theraven1979 »

This seems to be really hotting up now - What seemed to be a no chancer for independence now looks like it could go either way. I know we have a fair few Scots on here what's the verdict?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
dennirusking
Down In The Sewer

Post by dennirusking »

I talked to a Scottish friend at work today who said his head was telling him that it would be better for Scotland to stay in the U.K. but his heart was saying they must leave. I hear a lot of people saying they hate the fact that decisions about Scotland are made in Westminster. I think a lot of women thought that when Mrs Thatcher got in things would improve for all women - but they didn't. And when Obamba was elected in the US a lot of people thought things would get better for black people - but they didn't. I don't think much will improve if decisions about Scotland are made in Edinburgh instead of Westminster. Gordon Brown says the Tories are to blame - he feels the bedroom tax means that Scottish people are voting Yes to Independence as some kind of protest vote. My reaction to his comment was: why not blame yourself? If Labour with Blair and Brown in power hadn't been so shit they wouldn't have been voted out. I felt so much hope when Labour first got in. I feel disillusioned about politics now. "Whoever you vote for the government always gets in." Salmond is making lots of promises that if you vote for him he'll make sure you all get great schools, great health care and enormous wages (the same sort of thing Nick Clegg promised for those in the UK at the last election). I just know Salmond wont deliver. The whole Yes/No vote is Scotland has caused lots of friends and families to fall out and any Scottish celebrity who says they want to keep things as they are gets trolled - it will get worse and worse. Salmond is asking people to trust him and have faith and to believe and to struggle and to fight - it's the same old crap you hear off every politician who wants to get into power. Don't vote, it only encourages them. Sorry for being so jaded and cynical but I've watched Salmond on many TV debates and the guy has no great plan or vision. If he gets his way it will be a race to the bottom.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

In answer to the thread title, I DO actually care, I would rather we stay united.

But FFS no one's going to die or suddenly become better people because of this vote. Only people who are powerful will gain more power from it ie the politicians, and I think that somehow Scotland will not be financially better off in the long term if they vote for independence. Culturally? What the hell difference would a Yes vote make to the country's cultural identity? IMO none at all.

Scotland definitely needs to be stronger and 'louder' in the political aspect of the UK, and a No vote would I think ensure that the c0unts in London finally pay more respect to them, but i don't see much point in Scotland breaking away.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

All media hype.. Clear win for No on the day.
rotten thoughts
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

Yougov poll at the beginning of August Yes 39%, No 61%
Yougov Poll just over a month later Yes 51%, No 49%

A 22% swing shows an obvious momentum towards a 'Yes' vote and it looks like Scotland will vote 'Yes' a week on Thursday.
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Mind you, with Labour wheeling out their big guns.....mong Brown, Ed Miliband, Ed Bollocks and that fat useless pig Prescott, the YES campaign is getting a boost it could only have dreamed of.
rotten thoughts
punkerdgray
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by punkerdgray »

its a yes for me was at notheast calling last week in newcastle and twice in the city centre they would not accept scottish notes united kingdom i dont think so.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

punkerdgray wrote:its a yes for me was at notheast calling last week in newcastle and twice in the city centre they would not accept scottish notes united kingdom i dont think so.

Imagine what it'll be like with your new McPounds.... :lol:
rotten thoughts
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

It's not a forgone conclusion either way.
But let's just assume for one moment that the 'Yes' vote wins.

David Cameron will then be the Prime Minister who presided over the destruction of the United Kingdom.
That'll look nice in the history books. :lol:
ManInBrown
scouserat
Rats Rally

Post by scouserat »

Watching england game at the moment nowt else on and can hear england fans singing 'eff off scotland nobody cares'.Is this the general feeling amongst those south of the border. Most posts on here seem to be from scots.
delboyinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by delboyinblack »

I've already voted No via the postal vote as has my wife.There's too much uncertainty for me and fear for the future if there's another bad recession like we had in 2008 it would totally cripple Scotland like it did ROI,Spain and Greece.The Yes campaign keeps banging on about the oil but that's not going to last for ever despite their claims.I watched the ITN evening news tonight and they said if Scotland leaves it will have an effect in the whole UK,we won't be as strong as we are now to countries overseas.England fans singing songs aboutScotland doesn't bother me,they're a minority in my opinion and anyway Scottish fans sing anti English songs,they're both hardcore football fans on the wind up.
I sincerely hope on September 19th the UK will still be united.
I'm not gonna cry i bet he hit that water high
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

scouserat wrote:Watching england game at the moment nowt else on and can hear england fans singing 'eff off scotland nobody cares'.Is this the general feeling amongst those south of the border. Most posts on here seem to be from scots.
because England fans are world famous for being reasonable and fair minded individuals aren't they? :lol:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.