Blockbusters gone into Administration

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Blockbusters gone into Administration

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Never sure how that managed to exist after downloads etc happened.

Still cheaper to buy a dvd on play.com
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Blockbusters gone into Administration

Post by Rockula »

I haven't rented a film for over 5 years. Our local Blockbuster sold half it's shop to a furniture chain and THAT does more business than they ever have. I wonder what the other half will be turned into. A MacDonalds I expect. Or a Cash Converter.
ManInBrown
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Not seen many blockbusters around for ages now.
fourth horseman
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by fourth horseman »

Rockula wrote:I haven't rented a film for over 5 years. Our local Blockbuster sold half it's shop to a furniture chain and THAT does more business than they ever have. I wonder what the other half will be turned into. A MacDonalds I expect. Or a Cash Converter.
It's a golden age for the Cash Converters.
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

I wonder which one will go next.
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

I used to go to a local video store (always been unsure what to call them after DVD's took over?), but haven't been there for 3 to 4 years since I got Sky and had enough to watch every evening. Don't need to go out and hire a film several times a week. Did actually go into a Blockbusters about 6 months back though for the first and only time when elsewhere and it was a really good deal. Was quite impressed by it really, but by that there's probably not a lot going through the till!. I would love Domino's to go out of business mind - fucking robbing bastards them !!!!!
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
davidcassell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by davidcassell »

What hacks me off about the Jessops and HMV situations is that they obviously chose to "milk" the Christmas period knowing they were in dire straits, yet flogging worthless vouchers and taking deposits on orders. As the press have reported today - it's theft basically.
zontar

Post by zontar »

I've known indie shop owners who've gone under, thanks to unexpected encroachment from Lackluster.

Goody - more out-of bidness 49-cent DVDs for me.
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Alexinblack wrote:I wonder which one will go next.
I reckon we've still got another 2 biggies to go down by Mid February, as that's when the Full Year Reports come out.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Our High Streets are fucked and doomed.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Used Blockbusters a lot when they had the Tesco Clubcard Voucher deal that £12 of Clubcard points got 12x 1 night hires(box sets included).
Then Tesco put it up to £16 and only gave 1 point for £2 spent on petrol(our biggest buy with 2 cars) and that was the end of that.

No wonder they went bust though, £3.90 to hire a dvd for 1 night, only slightly more for a months subs for Netflix/Lovefilm.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
zontar

Post by zontar »

Dunno about UK conditions, but the current indie slayer here in the US is something called Redbox, simple vending machines located outside grocers and drugstores. I'm mildly amused by saps who study each dollar offering as if their (mostl ikely crap) selection is the most momentous decision of the weekend.