HMV Enters Administration

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ribery
Rats Rally

Re: HMV Enters Administration

Post by Ribery »

Not all progress is good progress, some of us don't want to buy online. I never buy stuff online and have no idea how to download music and no wish to learn how to do so. I DO however like going into the likes of HMV and Waterstones.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Ribery wrote:Not all progress is good progress, some of us don't want to buy online. I never buy stuff online and have no idea how to download music and no wish to learn how to do so. I DO however like going into the likes of HMV and Waterstones.
You liked going into HMV, past tense.

And good luck with Waterstones as they are looking decidedly shaky as well.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Ribery wrote:Not all progress is good progress, some of us don't want to buy online. I never buy stuff online and have no idea how to download music and no wish to learn how to do so. I DO however like going into the likes of HMV and Waterstones.
Although I have bought a few items online (mainly direct from a Japanese collectors shop who stocks rare MIB vinyl) I always visit REAL shops like a HMV because I like to look around (In the real environment) and to support a dying trade which everyone of a certain age will miss... I'm also a regular customer at Waterstones (I prefer REAL books to e.books) I have the ability and knowledge to download, but prefer real product with real artwork and packaging (as a physical reality).

But I guess i'm not in the majority... at least when there's a power cut or lack of batteries (or stored battery power) I can read a real book and shit on all the techno geeks.
Burn e 77
Something better change!
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

Honestly can't believe they lasted as long as they did!! :smt017 I always had a preference for the 'Virgin' stores, when I was a teenager they used to stock 7" Japanese imports, strangled mags and some decent t-shirts and always had a better selection of LP's and imports. That was the Glasgow and Edinburgh stores in the late 1970's and 80's. I think the last time I was in a HMV store was in the 1990's!! To expensive and couldn't compete with online retailers. :|
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Burn e 77 wrote:(I prefer REAL books to e.books) I have the ability and knowledge to download, but prefer real product with real artwork and packaging (as a physical reality).
Burn e 77
Absolutely, something tangible :!:
Thank you very much
EiTC
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Burn e 77 wrote:
Although I have bought a few items online (mainly direct from a Japanese collectors shop who stocks rare MIB vinyl) I always visit REAL shops like a HMV because I like to look around (In the real environment) and to support a dying trade which everyone of a certain age will miss... I'm also a regular customer at Waterstones (I prefer REAL books to e.books) I have the ability and knowledge to download, but prefer real product with real artwork and packaging (as a physical reality).

But I guess i'm not in the majority... at least when there's a power cut or lack of batteries (or stored battery power) I can read a real book and shit on all the techno geeks.
Burn e 77
I love books but I wouldn't give an e book the time of day. I love to look at shelves full of books and taking an expensive military reference book of the shelf to read of an evening, I'm not the slightest bit interested in having a non-existent collection of virtual books on a sodding kindle or whatever they are called.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Good luck with that!

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

I grew up in Birmingham and you had all within walking distance Revolver, HMV, Boots, W H Smiths then around 1986, 87 they opened a virgin megastore, you had market traders selling the old and colectable stuff all within 5 minutes walk.All gone now

But
All this is within 5 seconds of googleing now, so no need to walk.
No wonder the uk full of fat lazy gets :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mp3, flac, wav, etc etc, you just carnt beat that journey of going into town to get your record then to hold it and look at it...
Yep im getting old very fast.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

I have a tablet with the Kindle App on it, which I'm filling with free(Classics) and cheap books(Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy-5 book edition for £2.29) , but there are some that aren't available or indeed are more expensive than the paper version?????? so I do buy 'proper' books as well, the last 2 being:
Both Hard-Backed, which I picked up for £11.48. Hookys book was a £10 before Christmas on it's own.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

There is, and always has been better smaller, independent record shops. Go out and support them. Most of them will sell gig tickets, T-Shirts, posters etc not just CDs.

Jim
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

theraven1979 wrote:There is, and always has been better smaller, independent record shops. Go out and support them. Most of them will sell gig tickets, T-Shirts, posters etc not just CDs.

Jim
Not round these parts there isn't :smt010 . HMV, Our Price and Virgin saw them off years ago :smt013 .
I'd hazard a guess the nearest to me would be in Edinburgh or Glasgow.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 1,9.876709
Toiler On The Sea wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:There is, and always has been better smaller, independent record shops. Go out and support them. Most of them will sell gig tickets, T-Shirts, posters etc not just CDs.

Jim
Not round these parts there isn't :smt010 . HMV, Our Price and Virgin saw them off years ago :smt013 .
I'd hazard a guess the nearest to me would be in Edinburgh or Glasgow.