HMV Enters Administration

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ribery
Rats Rally

Re: HMV Enters Administration

Post by Ribery »

If you say so. I really can't be arsed arguing about it tbh.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I'm glad I checked this thread before I went to bed. chuckle etc.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

I prefer physical copies too but i buy all of them from Amazon now. yes it's not the same as browsing around hmv but Amazon is way cheaper. I bought a used kraftwerk album on Amazon for £2.33 last month. Kratwerk albums would nornally cost about £16 in my local HMV.
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Cricklewood wrote:I prefer physical copies too but i buy all of them from Amazon now. yes it's not the same as browsing around hmv but Amazon is way cheaper. I bought a used kraftwerk album on Amazon for £2.33 last month. Kratwerk albums would nornally cost about £16 in my local HMV.
And have you seen the prices of The Stranglers stuff these days??? Ridiculous - £16 for La Folie a few days ago on HMV :shock: :shock: :shock:
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Well, our local HMV shop closed down a couple of years ago. It was a pity, but it was pretty much in the first "wave" of closures and I did get a couple of James Bond Blu-Rays for a good price, despite not having a player yet. So until this Christmas (I tend to only visit the metropolis at that time of year) I hadn't been in one for a bit, but having checked out Manchester, Chester, Hanley (and possibly Shrewsbury if there was one, that's the trouble with corporate image, they all look the same) I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy that wasn't silly money.

Since the recent piece on the tv about Ian Rankin I've had an idea that I might want to listen to some Tangerine Dream, only one HMV shop had any at all, and the cheapest CD was £8. A new (to me) cheap CD/DVD chain had a compilation for £1.99 which was a bit more like it, especially after I'd listened to it. I don't think the HMV ones were imports or anything special at all, but they went from £8 to £24. I was pleased to see a 'used' section in some of the HMV shops, but there wasn't much in it and it was badly laid out. I can't be bothered spending half an hour running through a rack of CDs if there is no discernible order to them, I just glaze over after a couple of minutes.

I am a bit concerned, I have to admit. I have a load of vouchers that are multi-shop, and they're starting to read like a who's who of failed high street shops. Jessops, Comet, HMV, Woolworths are all on the list of who will take them. But even knowing the items will effectively be free, I can't bring myself to just go a buy a load of stuff for eBay just for the sake of not losing their value.

It's a pity that the high street shops have gone this way. Definitely the on-line competition is mainly to blame, though the public obsession with saving every last penny is also to blame. We're much more of a comparing culture than we were a few years ago, and the knowledge we can save a couple of quid by buying somewhere else is causing the problem. So the high street chains try to get cheaper, but still have the overhead of staff and buildings cost that the online seller does not and then, surprise, they're insolvent. And then all the people that have forced the prices down stand around saying what a poor situation it is.

Is it insensitive to ask what will happen to the stock? I guess a lot will just go back to the distributors if they do close their doors.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Our High Streets are fucked and doomed.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

droopsnoot wrote:Definitely the on-line competition is mainly to blame, though the public obsession with saving every last penny is also to blame. We're much more of a comparing culture than we were a few years ago, and the knowledge we can save a couple of quid by buying somewhere else is causing the problem. So the high street chains try to get cheaper, but still have the overhead of staff and buildings cost that the online seller does not and then, surprise, they're insolvent. And then all the people that have forced the prices down stand around saying what a poor situation it is.
Online sales in the uk account for @ 20%(according to a Business guy on the radio the other day) of total sales.

Saving every last penny??? Or more likely not getting the arse ripped out of you by a trader that can charge you double(if not more) just for not looking at their own website!!
Try trading in some CD's to see what they're really worth???

Provincial HMV shops were pretty much what was in the Charts(top 30 only) and Greatest Hits collections as far as I could see. Nothing 'New' to see there.

The arrival of Virgin/Our Price/HMV closed the local Independent Record Shop, so I'm not shedding a tear for them now they've gone bust as well.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:Try trading in some CD's to see what they're really worth???
30p a pop according to musicmagpie!
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

porkymeat wrote:
Toiler On The Sea wrote:Try trading in some CD's to see what they're really worth???
30p a pop according to musicmagpie!
I'd rather give them away to charity.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Says it all really.

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

PaulinLondon wrote:Our High Streets are fucked and doomed.
I'm not so sure about that. People like to go out and see and be seen. I reckon it is just a new change.

I'm sure we will see people coming out to a different style of coffee shops that will mutate, and there are still some shops that are going to be clever enough to get people to do instant purchases, as it's one of those human things.

If you're looking for such and such an item online you'll only look for that, but on the High Street, things can distract you and get your attention.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

HMV are/were too expensive. Online or in their shops.

Fuck em!