Sir Patrick Moore. Gone.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Sir Patrick Moore. Gone.

Post by Greatkudu »

A true Giant of T.V and shared his passion for astronomy.A unique old english gent,a truely great loss.
fuzzguitars
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by fuzzguitars »

Ribery wrote:Good riddance. Some of his comments about the Germans would have had him arrested had he been talking about blacks, gays etc. Xenophobic twat.
Probably more eccentric and from a bygone era not the only WWII combatant to hate the Germans, it was really the Nazi's he was fighting. He certainly was a colourful individual one of those guys who were good at everything they did. Politics not very convincing Tories, Monster Raving Loony Party and UKIP I'm laughing now :lol:
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

fuzzguitars wrote:
Ribery wrote:Good riddance. Some of his comments about the Germans would have had him arrested had he been talking about blacks, gays etc. Xenophobic twat.
Probably more eccentric and from a bygone era not the only WWII combatant to hate the Germans, it was really the Nazi's he was fighting. He certainly was a colourful individual one of those guys who were good at everything they did. Politics not very convincing Tories, Monster Raving Loony Party and UKIP I'm laughing now :lol:
I'm a Tory and am probably more right wing than Moore was for that matter, as an Englishman who has lived in Germany for many years I resent his comments on the Germans though.
I hate communism for instance but I don't say that the only good inhabitant of a communist country is a dead one.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Ribery wrote:
fourth horseman wrote:
I wouldn't have called him liberal really, would you?
Not at all, I was just using that as an example.

You can't win with you, innit? :smt017
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

Sorry Ribery, but your comments hit a raw nerve with me. When I was a kid, I remember my Mum saying to me 'If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all'. With Sir Patrick Moore, I want to celebrate his life as a doyen of astronomy. I'm not interested in his views on things that he wasn't qualified to comment on. But maybe that's me - I've never really cared what celebrities think or do.
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

paulinblack wrote:Sorry Ribery, but your comments hit a raw nerve with me. When I was a kid, I remember my Mum saying to me 'If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all'. With Sir Patrick Moore, I want to celebrate his life as a doyen of astronomy. I'm not interested in his views on things that he wasn't qualified to comment on. But maybe that's me - I've never really cared what celebrities think or do.
Surely if that comment applies then everyone should stop saying nasty things about the likes of Jimmy Savile then ?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Ribery, you're being a little OTT - why comment on this thread if all your going to do is constantly go on about some stupid comment he made in his 89 years on this planet. Now you're tarring him with the same brush as Jimmy Saville :roll:

Jim
Ribery wrote:
paulinblack wrote:Sorry Ribery, but your comments hit a raw nerve with me. When I was a kid, I remember my Mum saying to me 'If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all'. With Sir Patrick Moore, I want to celebrate his life as a doyen of astronomy. I'm not interested in his views on things that he wasn't qualified to comment on. But maybe that's me - I've never really cared what celebrities think or do.
Surely if that comment applies then everyone should stop saying nasty things about the likes of Jimmy Savile then ?
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

theraven1979 wrote:Ribery, you're being a little OTT - why comment on this thread if all your going to do is constantly go on about some stupid comment he made in his 89 years on this planet. Now you're tarring him with the same brush as Jimmy Saville

Jim
Ribery wrote:
No I'm not I'm simply pointing out that the phrase "If you've got nothing nice to say then say nothing" is ridiculous. Everyone has a right to voice an opinion even if the opinion is not "nice", Moore voiced his and I said what I thought of it.
Btw he regularly courted controversy not just the once and if you dish it out you have to expect to take some back.
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

Ribery wrote:
[/quote]

No I'm not I'm simply pointing out that the phrase "If you've got nothing nice to say then say nothing" is ridiculous. Everyone has a right to voice an opinion even if the opinion is not "nice", Moore voiced his and I said what I thought of it.
Btw he regularly courted controversy not just the once and if you dish it out you have to expect to take some back.[/quote]

I think there was a lot of emotion behind his comment. He was apparently (even after 60 years) still upset at his fiancee being killed by a German bomb (apparently the only woman he ever wanted to marry). I think it affected him pretty deeply and affected his judgement and skewed his views of Germany. I mean Patrick Moore was a navigator with RAF bomber command and (as with the german bomber personnel that killed his fiancee) they were under instructions to carry out similar duties and he himself (by being in the RAF) would have been responsible for similar tragedies on the ground in Germany. It's basically just the facts of war. Not all Germans were supporters of what their country were part off and I think (like everything else) everyone shouldn't be 'tarred' with the same brush. I just remember him as an eccentric man who was a significant figure in his field. His views were pretty much like his character just eccentric and ill thought at times but when it came to his field he knew what he was talking about and was an inspiration to many people. 8)
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sir Patrick Moore was a true English eccentric and made astronomy popular with a whole generation.I think if you had the love of your life killed in the blitz (it would colour your judgement).I knew an ex scots guards Sgt Major who hated the japanese (wonder why).Oh the little matter that he was a prisoner in singapore and part of the torture was digging your own grave,then blindfolded in the grave with a gun put to your head and the trigger clicked.How dare any body judge someone who has been through this experience.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Greatkudu wrote:Sir Patrick Moore was a true English eccentric and made astronomy popular with a whole generation.I think if you had the love of your life killed in the blitz (it would colour your judgement).I knew an ex scots guards Sgt Major who hated the japanese (wonder why).Oh the little matter that he was a prisoner in singapore and part of the torture was digging your own grave,then blindfolded in the grave with a gun put to your head and the trigger clicked.How dare any body judge someone who has been through this experience.
I know a German who's family were wiped out in the pointless attack on Dresden when the war was as good as over and we simply wanted to show the Russians what we were capable of. He has yet to tell me that the only good Briton is a dead one.
"Eccentric" is no excuse for being an arsehole.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I don't think anyone would knock your friend for coming out with a statement like that considering what happened to him

Jim
Ribery wrote:
Greatkudu wrote:Sir Patrick Moore was a true English eccentric and made astronomy popular with a whole generation.I think if you had the love of your life killed in the blitz (it would colour your judgement).I knew an ex scots guards Sgt Major who hated the japanese (wonder why).Oh the little matter that he was a prisoner in singapore and part of the torture was digging your own grave,then blindfolded in the grave with a gun put to your head and the trigger clicked.How dare any body judge someone who has been through this experience.
I know a German who's family were wiped out in the pointless attack on Dresden when the war was as good as over and we simply wanted to show the Russians what we were capable of. He has yet to tell me that the only good Briton is a dead one.
"Eccentric" is no excuse for being an arsehole.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"