Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 6800
Joined: 11 Feb 2011, 19:30
Location: Biggin Hill Kent

Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Burn e 77 »

In the film version of the "Acid House"... there's a section called "A Soft Touch"... one character is a total psychotic, called Alex... he likes Special Brew, Skunk and Skirt,
and from the "Raven" tattoo on his arm, i guess he's meant to like the Stranglers too (this observation is purely for the trainspotters out there, all puns intended)...

On a more serious note, i was wondering what comments or observations Forum members had about these two brilliant and original books... and their film versions... also
top films in my opinion... back in the day, when i had no responsibilities... i used to like to indulge in Alex's favourite three "S" pass-times mentioned above... plus the Stranglers... so i could relate to the characters in the books... looking forward to reading some of your interesting comments.

cheers
Burn e 77
Something better change!

User avatar
Jake
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2642
Joined: 18 Oct 2005, 20:40

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Jake »

I noticed that Raven tat on that complete psycho yeah, I would have said it was probably a real tat and just coincidence, maybe its being a stranglers fan that makes him obsessed with sex or something eh :?

I must admit never read either of the books, I did read Ecstacy, which I recall being very good, better still was Filth, which I believe is coming out as a film soon and I hope they get it right, as I rate it as one of Welsh's best ideas.

Obviously the film of trainspotting is a classic, with a great soundtrack, pretty much everything on that soundtrack and all the other musical reffernces are great. The Acid House was alright, the one about the guy being turned into a fly by God played by Maurice Roeves was good and the one you mentioned with that psycho stranglers fan, a soft touch, that was pretty nasty stuff. I found the one with Martin Clunes a bit less inspiring, but yeah it was an alright film, whilst Trainspotting was a classic and really shocking that I've not read it. I'm not sure I see much point in ever picking the book up now to be honest, even if it is suppossedly different to the film. I did read the follow up to Trainspotting, Porno and thought it was gash, such an unspired plot,one that I couldnt really care less about being made into a film. I am sure there is another Irvine Welsh 'Ive read but it escapes me just now, but yeah here's hoping the film version of Filth lives up to the book!

User avatar
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2365
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 18:31
Location: Hornchurch, Essex.

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Rockula »

Trainspotting is a brilliant movie from an excellent book.

I haven't read the sequel although my wife reads all of Irvine Welsh's books and has advised me that his next is a prequel to Trainspotting featuring a younger Renton, et al.

On a side note we once called one of our cats Renton. It was going to be Sick Boy but I didn't fancy shouting that out when it was time to call him in. :)
ManInBrown

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 6800
Joined: 11 Feb 2011, 19:30
Location: Biggin Hill Kent

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Burn e 77 »

Jake wrote:I noticed that Raven tat on that complete psycho yeah, I would have said it was probably a real tat and just coincidence, maybe its being a stranglers fan that makes him obsessed with sex or something eh :?

I must admit never read either of the books, I did read Ecstacy, which I recall being very good, better still was Filth, which I believe is coming out as a film soon and I hope they get it right, as I rate it as one of Welsh's best ideas.

Obviously the film of trainspotting is a classic, with a great soundtrack, pretty much everything on that soundtrack and all the other musical reffernces are great. The Acid House was alright, the one about the guy being turned into a fly by God played by Maurice Roeves was good and the one you mentioned with that psycho stranglers fan, a soft touch, that was pretty nasty stuff. I found the one with Martin Clunes a bit less inspiring, but yeah it was an alright film, whilst Trainspotting was a classic and really shocking that I've not read it. I'm not sure I see much point in ever picking the book up now to be honest, even if it is suppossedly different to the film. I did read the follow up to Trainspotting, Porno and thought it was gash, such an unspired plot,one that I couldnt really care less about being made into a film. I am sure there is another Irvine Welsh 'Ive read but it escapes me just now, but yeah here's hoping the film version of Filth lives up to the book!
Jake... Get youself a copy of his (Irvine Welsh's) book called "Glue" if you liked "Filth" and "Ecky" i reckon you'll love it.
cheers
Burn e 77
Something better change!

User avatar
Jake
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2642
Joined: 18 Oct 2005, 20:40

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Jake »

Burn e 77 wrote: Jake... Get youself a copy of his (Irvine Welsh's) book called "Glue" if you liked "Filth" and "Ecky" i reckon you'll love it.
cheers
Burn e 77

For some reason I was thinking Glue might be the other Ive read, the mind boggles eh

User avatar
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack
Posts: 3490
Joined: 05 Nov 2007, 14:08
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Bobinblack »

Rockula wrote:Trainspotting is a brilliant movie from an excellent book.

I haven't read the sequel although my wife reads all of Irvine Welsh's books and has advised me that his next is a prequel to Trainspotting featuring a younger Renton, et al.

On a side note we once called one of our cats Renton. It was going to be Sick Boy but I didn't fancy shouting that out when it was time to call him in. :)
Anything else pales in comparison to Trainspotting, imho, film and book.
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 6800
Joined: 11 Feb 2011, 19:30
Location: Biggin Hill Kent

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Burn e 77 »

Rockula wrote:Trainspotting is a brilliant movie from an excellent book.

I haven't read the sequel although my wife reads all of Irvine Welsh's books and has advised me that his next is a prequel to Trainspotting featuring a younger Renton, et al.

On a side note we once called one of our cats Renton. It was going to be Sick Boy but I didn't fancy shouting that out when it was time to call him in. :)
"Cool for Cats"!
cheers
Burn e 77
Something better change!

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 6800
Joined: 11 Feb 2011, 19:30
Location: Biggin Hill Kent

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Burn e 77 »

Jake wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote: Jake... Get youself a copy of his (Irvine Welsh's) book called "Glue" if you liked "Filth" and "Ecky" i reckon you'll love it.
cheers
Burn e 77

For some reason I was thinking Glue might be the other Ive read, the mind boggles eh
Oh yeah, try his book "Marabou Stork Nightmares... fcukgin ace!
Burn e 77
Something better change!

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 6800
Joined: 11 Feb 2011, 19:30
Location: Biggin Hill Kent

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Burn e 77 »

Bobinblack wrote:
Rockula wrote:Trainspotting is a brilliant movie from an excellent book.

I haven't read the sequel although my wife reads all of Irvine Welsh's books and has advised me that his next is a prequel to Trainspotting featuring a younger Renton, et al.

On a side note we once called one of our cats Renton. It was going to be Sick Boy but I didn't fancy shouting that out when it was time to call him in. :)
Anything else pales in comparison to Trainspotting, imho, film and book.
"Glue" comes close, great book!
Burn e 77
Something better change!

User avatar
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1452
Joined: 23 Mar 2008, 00:12
Location: Spain

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by unbroken69 »

Read most of his stuff, mainly because he clearly has a sick mind which I can relate to. Trainspotting is probably my favourite and you will take a lot from it even if you´ve seen the film 500 times. There´s a lot more going on and more characters of very dubious nature as well as situations only the very sick minded could make up. The problem with Porno is it reads like a sequel to Trainspotting the movie and not the novel, I even think he has adapted characters to the movie version of them. Still found it very readable though. Filth, Glue, Ecstacy, Marabou Stork Nighmares and Acid House all excellent reads with laugh out loud moments, stomach churning sickness and passages of intelligent poignancy throughout them all.
Last edited by unbroken69 on 11 Apr 2012, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.

User avatar
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 5603
Joined: 27 Mar 2003, 13:38
Location: The Middle of the North Sea
Contact:

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Was dissapointed in the Trainspotting movie, as it didn't reveal why it was called Trainspotting, a 10 second clip would have done it :roll:

My personal favourite from Acid House:

The Cruel Bastard and the Selfish Fucker Get It On.

She was a cruel bastard: he was a selfish fucker.
They literally bumped into each other one night in a Grassmarket Pub.
They were vaguely acquainted from somewhere neither could remember.
Or at least that was what they told themselves and each other.
She was highly insulting, but he didn’t mind as he was indifferent to everything except the eighty shilling he was tipping down his throat.
They decided to go back to her place for a shag.
He didn’t have a place of his own; as his parents did everything for him, he saw little point in getting one.
Sitting up in bed, she watched him undressing.
Her face hardened in a contemptuous scowl as he removed his purple boxer shorts. Who dea ye expect tae satisfy wi that? She asked.

Masel, he said, getting into bed beside her.

After the event, she bitterly disparaged his performance with a vitriol which would have torn the fragile sexual ego of most men to shreds.
He scarcely heard a word she said.
His final thoughts as he drifted into a drunken sleep were concerned with breakfast. He hoped she had plenty of provisions in and that she made a good fry-up.

Within a few weeks they were living together. People say it seems to be working out.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.

User avatar
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack
Posts: 3490
Joined: 05 Nov 2007, 14:08
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Trainspotting & The Acid House... Books & Films

Post by Bobinblack »

I really didnt like Filth as it got predictable I thought, Porno is exactly as Unbroken says, very disappointing, and Acid House us a collection of stories which I wasn't too keen on either!

I've heard his latest is excellent but I think I probably started at the top with Trainspotting. I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoyed Hornby's Fever Pitch too, and High Fidelity even more, but at least Welsh hasn't slipped down that literary pole of people salivating over an overrated writer like Hornby has :P
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.

Post Reply