The Arsenal

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The Arsenal

Post by unbroken69 »

I think Arsenal have pulled off the signing of the summer with Mesut Ozil, really hope this is the catalyst that sends us back challenging for major honors and attracting the top players.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

unbroken69 wrote:I think Arsenal have pulled off the signing of the summer with Mesut Ozil, really hope this is the catalyst that sends us back challenging for major honors and attracting the top players.
Bit of a price to only 'challenge' for honours.
For that I'd expect to win some.

is this Wengers last through of the dice?
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

A great signing for you.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Spending money is not a guarantee of success, you also have to challenge for things if you want to win them. We're rebuilding and bringing in quality to a team showing great ability and potential.
Toiler On The Sea wrote:
unbroken69 wrote:I think Arsenal have pulled off the signing of the summer with Mesut Ozil, really hope this is the catalyst that sends us back challenging for major honors and attracting the top players.

fourth horseman
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by fourth horseman »

unbroken69 wrote:Spending money is not a guarantee of success, you also have to challenge for things if you want to win them. We're rebuilding and bringing in quality to a team showing great ability and potential.
Toiler On The Sea wrote:

I thought Arsenal were in need of a good striker? Don't get me wrong, Ozil is a very talented player but don't Arsenal already have Carzola and Podolski who are the creative chance makers? Great signing but I don't think it addresses some of the problems Arsenal have
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

unbroken69 wrote:Spending money is not a guarantee of success, you also have to challenge for things if you want to win them. We're rebuilding and bringing in quality to a team showing great ability and potential.

Sorry, but that sounds like something a fan of a team outside the top 8 would say.
Maybe the conditioning has worked, they've got you accepting mediocrity, relatively speaking(top 4 and a couple of cup runs?, but ultimately winning nothing).
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Will Ozil do enough for you to win a trophy? really interested to see how he gets on for you.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Really. No one should take success for granted, given Arsenal's commitments in paying for the Emirates and the long term sponsorship deals they were tied into, they did remarkably well in maintaining a top 4 finish. You also have to remember the noveau riche cclubs that have emerged since Arsenal last won the league title as before that they were really only competing with Man U.

Arsenal do not have a God given right to finish top 4 but have nevertheless fought tooth and nail to get there continuously. Now the stadium is paid for and new sponsorship deals have brought a huge injection of wealth we're now ready to move on and get back to where we once were and finishing just top4 isn't going to be good enough by itself.

Yes we need to bring a few more players in key positions. However Ozil is one of the best players in the world and will add to the creativity in the middle or as I suspect initially he will be deployed on the left. Last season despite Cazorla's wonderful performances, at times we ran out of ideas. Ozil will add another dimension and will scare the crap out of most defenders in the EPL. I'm amazed Real Madrid let him go to be honest.

In Giroud we have a quality centre forward who is now pushing on to another level, however should he get injured we are severely lacking in that department. I do feel however that Wenger was right not to just sign anybody for the sake of it, instead he's waiting for the right player to become available, the signing of Ozil will persuade world class players that Arsenal are ambitious. We tried to take Demba Ba on loan but Mourinho blocked that one, it was a move similar to that of buying Davor Suker in 1999 after Ian Wright left. However having failed to get Suarez and abandoning the Higuain transfer we are currently left with the options of the young Sanogo anfd the self proclaimed best striker that has ever lived Nikolas Bendtner.

Having said that we have players returning to full fitness over the next two months and don't look as flimsy as many think we are.

Ideal team from current squad would be:

Szczesny

Sagna - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Gibbs

Ramsey - Cazorla - Wilshere

Ozil - Giroud - Walcott

Subs: Fabianski, Flamini, Jenkinson, Vermalen, Podolski, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Arteta.

Depending on who the opposition are, Flamini should be deployed instead of Wilshere to shore up a few holes. Wilshere is far from being the complete article but the arrival of Ozil will help him concentrate on being the box to box midfield player which I think is his natural position. Missing from the squad I've named are Rosicky, Diaby, Monreal, Sanogo and Bendtner. So when the squad is fit and I know that's a big "IF" it does have some depth.

If Wenger is challenging on all fronts at Christmas, I can see thim having another crack at Suarez.

So absolutely not, gooners will not accept mediocrity and the signals coming from the club are they won't either.
Toiler On The Sea wrote:

Sorry, but that sounds like something a fan of a team outside the top 8 would say.
Maybe the conditioning has worked, they've got you accepting mediocrity, relatively speaking(top 4 and a couple of cup runs?, but ultimately winning nothing).
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Going forward Arsenal have a lot of quality. However I still feel they lack that steel and bite in the midfield which they haven't had for a number of seasons now. Also I think at the back they will still struggle.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

"Steel and Bite" - Are you sure you don't mean leg breaker and animal? Wilshere, Ramsey, Flamini and Arteta are certainly no shrinking violets, although if you put someone like Scott Parker in there you sacrifice attractive football for dirge.
Alexinblack wrote:Going forward Arsenal have a lot of quality. However I still feel they lack that steel and bite in the midfield which they haven't had for a number of seasons now. Also I think at the back they will still struggle.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

I mean a Viera Petit type player. I remember watching Arsenal with Viera in the side and they still played some very attractive football.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

C'mon gooners, let's bag our first trophy since the disappearance of Glenn Miller.