The Arsenal

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The Arsenal

Post by unbroken69 »

Well we wiped our feet but we got over the line. Now we don´t have to rely on Bayern Munich stuffing Chelsea in order to qulaify for the CL next season.

Can´t believe some gooners want Chelsea to win just to keep Spuds out. I mean Chelsea winning the CL is a lot worse than Spurs losing in the preliminary round of next seasons competition.

Hopefully we can keep RVP and with the added class of Herr Podolski, who is a solid reliable player irrespective of the nonsense spouted by Ribery, and a few other signings, we can improve next season.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
Stevie.T-'up north'
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Stevie.T-'up north' »

:smt026
Sweat and shite and blood!
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Need some new defenders, a tough centre midfielder too.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Anyone got a spare ticket for the Arsenal - Manchester City game on Sunday?
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

unbroken69 wrote:Well we wiped our feet but we got over the line. Now we don´t have to rely on Bayern Munich stuffing Chelsea in order to qulaify for the CL next season.

Can´t believe some gooners want Chelsea to win just to keep Spuds out. I mean Chelsea winning the CL is a lot worse than Spurs losing in the preliminary round of next seasons competition.

Hopefully we can keep RVP and with the added class of Herr Podolski, who is a solid reliable player irrespective of the nonsense spouted by Ribery, and a few other signings, we can improve next season.
Yes because of course I've only watched him week in week out for years, he has hardly set the premiership alight yet either.
Mind you sod's law says he will score against us, having said that I can't wait for our forwards to get at your defence, we'll cause mayhem.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

The problem with what you say Ribery is that I know many folk who also watch football "week in, week out" yet they still remain clueless.

Podolski has had a steady 1st season for Arsenal, he has until now scored 10 goals which ain't a bad return for soemone who is essentially playing on the left wing. Sometimes he goes completely absent in games and it's probably the main criticism of him but he is certainly a welcome addition to the Arsenal set up.

If indeed you did watch him "week in week out" then you would be aware that in his first spell with FC Köln, he scored an incredible 39 goals in just 52 games, this was the reason that Bayern Munich purchased him. At Munich he did chip in with his fair share of goals, especially when he won the Bundesliga with them in his first season but was placed down the pecking order of forwards when Toni and klose were the preferred strikers.

When he returned to FC Köln after a difficult period initally he regained his confidence and his goal scoring ability which if a player has a knack and an eye for goal can never be considered "useless" as you label him. A palyer who reaches 106 caps for Germany while also scoring 44 goals in the process has got to have something. His professional record has returned a goal every two games and that kind of record is up there with the very best. No he hasn't set the Premiership alight, but he has never been that sort of player, instead he has certainly shown honesty and industry in most of his appearances for the Arsenal and is appreciated by the fans for those qualities.

I suggest when you're watching "week in, week out" in future, you should really try to pay more attention. :smt006
Ribery wrote:
unbroken69 wrote:Well we wiped our feet but we got over the line. Now we don´t have to rely on Bayern Munich stuffing Chelsea in order to qulaify for the CL next season.

Yes because of course I've only watched him week in week out for years, he has hardly set the premiership alight yet either.
Mind you sod's law says he will score against us, having said that I can't wait for our forwards to get at your defence, we'll cause mayhem.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Well I'm sorry that having a different opinion to you is not allowed :grin: . He was ok in his first period at Köln but playing for a big club doesn't suit him as he has difficulty handling the pressure that comes with it and just wasn't up to the job in Munich. He is obviously a fairly decent player but isn't top class and never will be.
His time at Bayern was a disaster, (slightly over 1 goal in every 5 BL games), and in the national team only 3 or 4 of those 44 goals came against big name opposition (check the stats), it is no coincidence that very few big clubs have made enquiries about him since he left Bayern. The claim that he didn't get a fair crack of the whip in Munich is a fallacy, he got plenty chances he just didn't take them. If he had been any good I'd hardly be slagging him off, I have nothing but praise for our ex-players such as the likes of Makaay, Toni and Klose for instance.
As a Bayern season ticket holder you can take my word for it that I've seen enough of him.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Of course you can have a different opinion to mine, it just so happens that you're completely and utterly wrong and every stat proves that. You make vague attempts at stats for his international record yet provide no evidence. So why on earth would I take your "word for it"? If I took the word of everyone that claimed to know a bit about football, I would now be of the opinion that Thierry Henry was shit, as a season ticker holder at Highbury used to try to convince me of. However those damned stats said otherwise.

In the 2006 World Cup Finals Podolski scored his first ever World Cup goal in Germany's third group match against Ecuador, and both goals in the 2–0 win over Sweden in the round of 16. Germany finished third in the tournament, and while Klose won the Golden Boot, Podolski's three goals tied him for second place with Ronaldo, Thierry Henry, Fernando Torres, David Villa, Maxi Rodríguez, Hernán Crespo and Zinedine Zidane. Podolski was named the World Cup's Best Young Player ahead of players like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. He also won the UEFA silver boot at Euro 2008. In fact contrary to your claim that all but 4 goals he's scored for Germany have been against weak opposition, most of his goals have come against sides rated in FIFA's top 50. He scored 4 against San Marino once in a 13.0 win, although I don't see why they shouldn't count, he still has to score and he's not responsible for the opposition put in front of him. Besides many great forwards have failed to score goals against those `weaker sides' . I follow Northern Ireland, one of those so called weaker sides who recently were very unlucky only to draw against Portugal in Lisbon, a game in which Ronaldo was kept in the pocket of Jonny Evans. Here is a list of Podolski's international goals for you to have a look at. http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/podolski-intlg.html

I never said he didn't get a fair crack at Munich, but to say it "was a disaster" is a nonsense. Furthermore to say "playing for a big club doesn't suit him" is meaningless drivel. He's at a big club now and coping well with the pressure that goes with it.

He's versatile with real pace and he has shown time and again on the international stage that he has the composure and quality required of any top striker. A cultured finisher, Podolski also has a creative streak and links up well with his team-mates. However he has to perform to a consistently high standard on the domestic front, he lacks the out-and-out brilliance and unique quality of a Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, but then again who doesn't.

Ribery wrote:Well I'm sorry that having a different opinion to you is not allowed :grin: . He was ok in his first period at Köln but playing for a big club doesn't suit him as he has difficulty handling the pressure that comes with it and just wasn't up to the job in Munich. He is obviously a fairly decent player but isn't top class and never will be.
His time at Bayern was a disaster, (slightly over 1 goal in every 5 BL games), and in the national team only 3 or 4 of those 44 goals came against big name opposition (check the stats), it is no coincidence that very few big clubs have made enquiries about him since he left Bayern. The claim that he didn't get a fair crack of the whip in Munich is a fallacy, he got plenty chances he just didn't take them. If he had been any good I'd hardly be slagging him off, I have nothing but praise for our ex-players such as the likes of Makaay, Toni and Klose for instance.
As a Bayern season ticket holder you can take my word for it that I've seen enough of him.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

£62 not suprised tickets got taken back.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

I've seen the list of Podolski's international goals which is why I said only 3 or 4 of them were against big names. Look again at the teams he scored against.
The top 50 ffs !? He plays for Germany, ranked always in the top 2 or 3 in the world, Brazil, England, Sweden, Croatia and Russia fair enough but the rest of his victims were hardly much of a challenge.
Liechtenstein, Azerbaijan, San Marino, Thailand, Northern Ireland, Luxembourg, Ecuador, Slovakia, Cyprus, China, Australia, Kasachstan etc. You are aware that Löw has dropped him from the starting line up due to poor form in the national team ?

In Germany his time at Bayern is considered a failure by the vast majority of fans however much you think otherwise. He simply wastes a shedload of chances for every one he converts, his 1 in 5 at Bayern proves that.

Arsenal is indeed a big club but they are not big in the sense that trophies are expected every year (that used to be the case but not any more), that was not the case at Bayern. Wenger has now gone several years without a trophy and this year even a CL place is in doubt. Now I have nothing against Arsenal, I'm neutral on the subject but pressure would have been one of the Manchester clubs who are expected by their fans to win the title every year.
Bayern have gone two years without a title and it is deemed unacceptable that it happens again this season, Arsenal seem not to be too concerned that they have won nothing for 7 or 8 years otherwise Wenger would have been out of a job long since that is a difference pressure wise.

Anyway if you are pleased with him that is the main thing, we were pleased to get rid of him so we are all happy.

As I said though he'll score against us, sod's law, you can see it happening.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

It is very steep and indicative of where football is. I remember buying 2 tickets for Arsenal v Spuds in 1989 for 10 quid, the same tickets today would set me back 150. I think it's a bit rich of City to be critical of Arsenal as the Mancs 2nd club have just made a 100million pound loss (transfer fees and salaries) and will not be held accountable for such shoddy business practice. Clubs like Arsenal are then forced to obtain revenue from all sources to try and compete with such irrespsonsible madness. The obvious first port of call as alwys is the punter.

Of course unlike United, City don't have many fans in and around London so you would expect them not to take up their full allocation. As I understand they have all now been sold.

Alexinblack wrote:£62 not suprised tickets got taken back.
fourth horseman
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by fourth horseman »

unbroken69 wrote:It is very steep and indicative of where football is. I remember buying 2 tickets for Arsenal v Spuds in 1989 for 10 quid, the same tickets today would set me back 150. I think it's a bit rich of City to be critical of Arsenal as the Mancs 2nd club have just made a 100million pound loss (transfer fees and salaries) and will not be held accountable for such shoddy business practice. Clubs like Arsenal are then forced to obtain revenue from all sources to try and compete with such irrespsonsible madness. The obvious first port of call as alwys is the punter.

Of course unlike United, City don't have many fans in and around London so you would expect them not to take up their full allocation. As I understand they have all now been sold.

Alexinblack wrote:£62 not suprised tickets got taken back.
I wonder if the big increase in ticket prices at Arsenal have a link with the big money take overs of Manchester City and Chelsea? I think it's fair to say the trophy drought does, I know Arsenal have never spent masses of money but Chelsea and City have driven transfer fees and wages up by quite a bit as they'll pay the biggest fees to attract players to their clubs as they can't do it based on their history or size, making it harder for other clubs who have built their success on big fan bases, history etc. to attract the top players.

If this practice of attracting talented players by making them offers they can't refuse has had this sort of effect on the English game, then I wonder what the impact will be in France? Where TV money and match day revenue don't bring in as much revenue as the clubs in England and PSG have recently had their big take over.
Shove it up yer bollocks then!