Socrates

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cola Can
Ugly
Ugly

Socrates

Post by Cola Can »

The passing of another footballing legend...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16019637.stm
Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Socrates

Post by unbroken69 »

Indeed, he was almost as good as Gerry Armstrong at the 1982 World Cup finals. Almost.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

RIP, very sad news.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Reading his obituary, you can´t help feel that his humility should be an example to modern footballers. How many footballers today would potentially sacrifice their playing careers to become a Doctor?

A man who played well, partied hard but seen helping others as the main focus of his life.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
theraven1970
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by theraven1970 »

Legendary football player, from one of the greatest sides never to win the World Cup. I remember dancing about like a maddie when Dave Narey smashed Scotland 1-0 into the lead but that just got the Brazilians angry :grin: and they proceeded to dismantle us, with Socrates and Junior to the fore.
Not only a great player but a great man. Fantastic obituary to him on BBC sports page.
Greetings, fellow Stranglers fans.
derby62
Rats Rally

Post by derby62 »

Loved the cool way he used to take penalties--just stroll up and chip it into the top corner--sheer class
Gene Regulation
Rats Rally

Post by Gene Regulation »

Having played in England with Garnforth Town I fully expect a minutes applause at all games, in the British Isles, next weekend.

The greatest Brazilian NEVER to have lifted the World Cup. Just a pity they met an absolutely outstanding Italian side in 82.
TAFKA TrampinBlack
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

In his honour, I heard Brazil are going to have a minute of deep reflection prior to their next match. 8)
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Socrates

Post by aldinblack »

Gene Regulation wrote:Having played in England with Garnforth Town I fully expect a minutes applause at all games, in the British Isles, next weekend.

The greatest Brazilian NEVER to have lifted the World Cup. Just a pity they met an absolutely outstanding Italian side in 82.
Ok, now this man was undoubtably a great player, and I'm sure a great man in many ways, and yes the 1982 Brazilian team were great as well.

But why is it a pity that they lost ?

They were simply beaten by an even greater team in the Italians, who beat them at their own game, displaying an attacking flair to more than match this great Brazilian team, and scoring 3 goals against Brazil's 2.

Nothing pitiful about that as far as I can tell..
I Hate You !
Dead Loss Hemel
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dead Loss Hemel »

theraven1970 wrote:Legendary football player, from one of the greatest sides never to win the World Cup. I remember dancing about like a maddie when Dave Narey smashed Scotland 1-0 into the lead but that just got the Brazilians angry :grin: and they proceeded to dismantle us, with Socrates and Junior to the fore.
Not only a great player but a great man. Fantastic obituary to him on BBC sports page.

couldn't have put it better myself, but who can ever forget that game v Italy, a true classic if ever there was one,

R I P great man